Egg with two yolks

I found one, is today my lucky day?

Pages: 1 2

Showem
After deciding on an omelette for lunch, I cracked open an egg to find 2 yolks! I've heard of this, but I've never actually seen it, in my many years of egg-cracking.

So, does this mean it's my lucky day, with extra bonuses to feature in all that I do? Or is it a sign of something more ominous; that even my organic eggs have been contaminated by wild mutant viruses?

I would have considered selling it on Ebay, but I was too hungry and destroyed the evidence.
Inflatablewoman
It means you have chernobyl eggs. Do they glow in the dark too?
Kza
Wouldnt this be how chickens have twins?
SleeplessInMunich
Definitely a bad omen...Not a good day to take part in a table quiz.
MadJan
Actually this is quite common...
Katrina
Shame you made an omlette, that would have been perfect for soldiers as a boiled egg.
Hang on.
Lunch?
Still jet-lagged dear?

PS Usually double yolked eggs come from young hens, unusual but nowt wrong with it.
Yeti
I've been on quiz teams with two yokes and we didn't win, SiM might be on to something there.
Chicago
if you read the instructions on the box, you will see that it means that the test is positive - you are pregnant.
Johnny English
Pretty sure in the UK you could buy "double yolk" eggs in the shops?
Inflatablewoman
A very informative page on Double Yolked Eggs...

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/C...esh/Double.html
Showem
MadJan, it might be common in SA, but I've never had one.

Katrina, yes, lunch, well, 2nd breakfast if you prefer. Breakfast wasn't that big and it was early.

Chicago, interesting that you say that...
Chicago
uhm... is that common knowledge? or is this a news flash?
cinzia
Showem, depends on what you consider "lucky."

I would assume a double-yolked egg has twice the cholesterol!

But congratulations on the little egg, anyway . . .
Jenny L
I have found some interesting information on the sybolism of the egg.

Did you know, for example, that...

"Breaking the smaller end of the egg betokens only disappointment of one's hopes — with that supposedly lying in store, it makes sense to smack it open at the larger end. The discovery of a double yolk within is cause for terror or celebration depending on which school of thought is followed — some say it presages a wedding, others a death. " link

and some more:

"Eggs that have no yolk were considered to be very unlucky as they are traditionally believed to be laid by the cockerel, whilst an egg with a double-yolk was said to indicate an imminent death in the family. Sailors were also advised not to mention the egg by name but by the term 'roundabout' to avoid misfortune at sea. Poking a hole by accident in the bottom of the shell after eating a hard-boiled egg though is considered to be very lucky, but never throw the shell on a fire or the hen will never lay again and a storm may brew at sea. The Scots (UK) believe that crushing the shell is the best way to avoid any negative events happening. The Scots also believed that witches would collect up any shells left whole and use them to sail out to sea in order to sink the ships. This belief is thought to stem back to Roman times. The Japanese traditionally thought it also unlucky for a woman to step over an eggshell as this would cause her to become confused and agitated to a state of what was called madness ."

And more Germany-specific trivia:

" In Germany, in 1918, for example, eggs were so difficult to find after World War I that to buy one it was necessary to have a doctor's prescription."

A lot of sources list eggs as a symbol of fertility, so perhaps a double yolk symbolizes mega fertility.
Uncle Nick
"Eggs that have no yolk were considered to be very unlucky as they are traditionally believed to be laid by the cockerel...
Who thought up that cock and bull story?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.