Fucking - a village in Austria

Yes, that really is its name

Pages: 1 2

profundo
From Ananova:

Residents of an Austrian village called Fucking, have voted against changing the name.

The 150 or so people who live in the village debated the issue after roadsigns kept being stolen - many by British tourists.

Spokesman Siegfried Hoeppl, said: "Everyone here knows what it means in English, but for us Fucking is Fucking - and it's going to stay Fucking - even though the signs keep getting stolen."
Attached image
AquaticMeringue
Why not take advantage of the tourism possibilities? The number of souvenirs they could sell is endless!
bubblylady
Seems they already did that: Fucking merchandise
YorkshireLad6
Seems strange that they appear to censor their own signs by blurring the letters though.

YL6
Big C
Maybe it was introduced to stop british tourists stealing them, although I assumed that Profundo had done that.
profundo
No, I didn't fuzz the letters this time. Check the link. They also edited the word F*ck every time (like so).

Sin
The Austrian town of Fucking has erected theft-proof road signs embedded in concrete blocks.

Officials acted because they were fed up with English-speaking tourists stealing them as souvenirs.

After the last 'Welcome to F***ing' sign was stolen, Mayor Siegfried Hauppl ordered brand new theft-proof road signs.

They are bolted and welded to steel posts embedded in concrete in the ground and the mayor added: "It would take all night to steal one."

F***ing always attracts a lot of attention in the summer months, with tourists driving up from nearby Salzburg to pose for pictures in front of the F***ing signs.
Rus
Do you think the Bavarian Town of Wank will follow suit?

Crosslink by admin: Funny German place names - eg. Wank, Titting, Rotten Egg, etc...
borracuda
cool.. so people who live there are actualy 'fuckers'!
EUnomad
Yahoo! News: Brits driving Austrians bonkers over rude village name

British tourists have left the residents of one charming Austrian village effing and blinding by constantly stealing the signs for their oddly-named village.

While British visitors are finding it hilarious, the residents of F---ing are failing to see the funny side
Topics merged by admin
jml
'no fcuking postcards' indeed
Tom17
Maybe so... but they do have fcuking t-shirts
djgrazy

I remember once driving through a town called "Wank" which I thought was hillarious, any other belters ?
far-lands
You're right there is a villiage called "Wank" near Kempten in the Alps...
Mickey
ThereĀ“s also one just before the Dutch Boarder called: Wankum...
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.