Tax obligations for internship students - Germany

Interns and taxes, how much must be paid

Pages: 1 2 3

hossamhassan85
hello all,

i am a student coming to munich next month i will stay for about 3 monthes.i have an internship in a
germany company and i will get paid during my internship.so my question here will i have to pay taxes
from my salary or students doesnt pay taxes?

thanks in advance

chao

Hosam
Lupo
Depends on how much money you make...
jimi-in-toytown
I also need some advice, my son has got an internship for the summer also and he will get paid €600.00 a month. How does he register here for work and does he need paperwork for the tax etc.

All assistance is greatly appreciated,

please PM any help, many thanks

jimi-in-Toytown
YorkshireLad6
Knowing nationallity and residence status might help
jimi-in-toytown
My son is British (Yorkshire born and bred may I add) and is currently not registered here as he is at Uni in Sheffield.

Any help?

thanks

Jimi-in-Toytown
Keydeck
Search for the information on how to register. There's loads of threads already. Useful search terms: Register, Registration, Registering, KVR, Kreisverwaltunsreferat
Katrina
The tax question for Praktikanten (interns) depends on whether the internship is an obligatory part of the course or not.
If the university can give a declaration that the internship is an obligatory part of the qualification, then the wage is tax and contribution free as it is an "Aufmerksamkeit" from the employer.
Should it be a voluntary placement, there is a tax and insurance liability.
BfA information
Praktikanten sind keine Arbeitnehmer im arbeitrechtlichen Sinn, weswegen die arbeitsrechtlichen Bestimmungen (Angestelltengesetz, Urlaubsgesetz, Entgeltfortzahlungsgesetz, Kollektivvertrag, etc) nicht gelten. Sofern Sie als Praktikant Entgelt erhalten, das die Geringfügigkeitsgrenze (400 Euro pro Monat) überschreitet, sind Sie voll sozialversichert. Erhalten sie Entgelt unter dieser Grenze, sind für sie vom Arbeitgeber nur Unfallversicherungsbeiträge zu entrichten. In einigen Branchen gibt es Sonderbestimmungen für Praktikanten.
Über das Praktikum ist selbstverständlich ein Zeugnis anzufertigen.
Check with the university what applies, the Year Abroad office will help. In any case, it is possible to claim some tax back (should you pay any) if the placement payment is less than the lower tax bracket (I claimed my tax back) but of course, that's an interest-free loan for the government.
hossamhassan85
well i am british and i will do this internship voluntary as well as my university is not in germany.I guess
my salary will be about 1050 euro how much should i pay as taxes and it its possible that i will claim them
back after i finish my internship or no?

thanks alot

chao

Hosam
zimmer
There is no tax to be paid for a €600 monthly salary since if you worked the entire year, the total is only €7,200 which is below the "taxable income" bracket. But, if you are doing a voluntary internship i.e. not required for your studies, you have to get a "geseztliche versicherung" roughly translated to public/state insurance (as opposed to private). This is the "normal" insurance a person taking up employment in Germany i.e. Health, Social, Pension and Unemployment insurance. I was told that if you are not German i.e. you are only here for a limited time, you can claim pension back, provided you are not here for more than 5 years (??) and do not intend to retire here. If you are under a certain age (I think it's 27 y.o.), you pay only €50 a month; if you are over this age, you pay like all other salaried worker e.g. 13%, depending on which insurance you get. Not sure if there's any difference for EU members.
Katrina
well i am british and i will do this internship voluntary as well as my university is not in germany
The location of the university is not relevant in this case. They just have to certify that to get the qualification, an internship is required.
USCbum
The tax question for Praktikanten (interns) depends on whether the internship is an obligatory part of the course or not.
If the university can give a declaration that the internship is an obligatory part of the qualification, then the wage is tax and contribution free as it is an "Aufmerksamkeit" from the employer.
Should it be a voluntary placement, there is a tax and insurance liability.
BfA information

Check with the university what applies, the Year Abroad office will help. In any case, it is possible to claim some tax back (should you pay any) if the placement payment is less than the lower tax bracket (I claimed my tax back) but of course, that's an interest-free loan for the government.
this is the perfect description. i am a student doing an internship here in munich as a part of my education and i don't get taxed.

EDIT: they still took out taxes from my first paycheck (last months) which they said was an accident and i will get reimbursed this month (*crossing fingers*)
jimi-in-toytown
well i am british and i will do this internship voluntary as well as my university is not in germany.I guess
my salary will be about 1050 euro how much should i pay as taxes and it its possible that i will claim them
back after i finish my internship or no?

thanks alot

chao

Hosam
I was under the impression that it was not allowed to pay this much for an internship? depends on what level you are at of your degree and if you have a pre diploma etc, is this right. My son was initially offered €300.00 a month!!! as a student of aeronautiacl engineering with 12 GCSEs and 4 A levels this is shite!!! What are you studying and where is your internship at if you do not mind me asking?

Jimi
hossamhassan85
i am studying computer engineering

as for the salary the average is about 700 euro. as for the salary i was surprised myself when they told me:)
YorkshireLad6
... a student of aeronautiacl engineering with 12 GCSEs and 4 A levels this is shite!!!
Whatever have qualifications to do with salary? An Cambridge double-first friend on mine drives a taxi.
USCbum
this is the perfect description. i am a student doing an internship here in munich as a part of my education and i don't get taxed.

EDIT: they still took out taxes from my first paycheck (last months) which they said was an accident and i will get reimbursed this month (*crossing fingers*)
Bastards took out taxes again after telling me i won't be taxed...WTF??? i am going to die like this.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.