Buffalo mozzarella - is it pasteurized?

Answer: it depends on the brand

Pages: 1 2

Showem
I just bought some packaged in water buffalo mozzarella. It doesn't say anywhere on it that it has been pasteurized, but I'm somehow doubting that a packaged mozzarella isn't pasteurized. Anyone know for certain?
grazzenger
as my wife is pregnant, these things matter and we've been told that it isn't so she can only eat it when it is cooked. but you may get some other answers
Showem
Told by whom? The doctor, who doesn't make cheese, or by the manufacturer? I'm just curious really.
eurovol
Microbiologist to the rescue...duhduhduh!
First off, no unprocessed cheese is pasteurized and processed cheese is not really cheese. The milk that makes cheese may or may not be pasteurized. The main reason for pasteurization is to simply to kill off the detrimental bacteria and unwanted yeast and molds and add your own. They tend to do the same in making beer and wine and anything else that relies on living organisms and a long fermentation process.

Banned in the U.S.A.
The danger of eating raw-milk cheese is similar to that of eating raw oysters, yet the latter is legal in the US. Those with higher risk of infection, such as pregnant women, should not eat raw-milk cheese, raw oysters and steak, and other foods that can harbor microbes that cause diseases. But Europeans have been eating raw-milk cheeses since ancient times, evidently with little ill effect. European cheese makers are generally careful to keep the milk uncontaminated, which minimizes the risk.
The main dangers here are Salmonella and the bad ETEC (Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli). Both are more likely to turn up in raw chicken, raw veggies and undercooked hamburger. Cheese doesn't suffer from bacteria, it suffers from poor preparation and contaminated workers and packers who do suffer from bacteria. Most every food poisoning outbreak that I have ever heard of has been traced back to a contaminated worker except for Salmonella and chicken which tends to go hand in hand.

Know your cheese.

Now, as to whether the cheese you have has had the milk pasteurized or not depends entirely on what brand and manufacturer of the cheese you have. If it is made from cow's milk, it is most likely pasteurized, but even that isn't a 100% guarantee.
gemini
The main dangers here are Salmonella and the bad ETEC (Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli).
And for pregnant women Listeria

But I am still confused in terms of German Milk/dairy packaging.

If it doesn't say "rohmilch" on the package, can one assume the product is pasturized? Because few cheeses have the word "pasteurisiert" on it.

Is there some middle ground between the rohmilch and pasteurisert that I am not aware of, or is labeling as pasteurisiert just not done.

In the US this is just as not an issue as most products are paturized.
Showem
I've contacted a few producers directly and not saying on the packaging doesn't necessarily mean one way or another. Best to google the company, phone and ask.
gemini
Wow, who knew eating could become so complicated.

I am usually an organic eater only, but I think I will trade in my organic yummy European cheeses, for tasteless American...but all pasturized...cheeses from the ARMY base.
UrbanAngel
Does buffalo mozzarella contain lactose? i.e. it's not cow's milk, but buffalo's milk I presume..?
Showem
Gemini, it only costs the price of a phone call to ask. Why limit yourself if you don't have to?
kwenga
Every milk product made from raw, unpasteurized milk 'Rohmilch' must be labeled as such, so if it doesn't say Rohmilch on the package it's made from pasteurized milk (Kennzeichnungsverordnung)
Stiftung Warentest tested Mozzarellas in 2005
http://www.stiftung-warentest.de/unternehm...en/1291312.html
no Listeria or salmonella, but coliform bacteria point to not-so -super hygiene standards (though very unlikely to be a health hazard)
Err, and milk from EVERY mammal contains lactose (milk sugar), so it needs processing to make it lactose-free.
UrbanAngel
I'm just intolerant to cow's milk strangely enough
Panama
The main sugar present in milk is lactose. It is less sweet than cane sugar. The lactose contents of cow's and buffalo milk vary from 4.5 to 4.9%.
Maybe it's something else than lactose that you are intolerant to? It seems they both contain the same amount of lactose. But who knows.
UrbanAngel
Aah thanks Panama, then I'll avoid buffalo mozzeralla too. I just think the doctor didn't think of specifying 'no buffalo milk!' since it's not an every day food
Carm
most adults are not able to process the Lactose because their bodies do not produce Lactase (the enzyme) needed to digest Lactose. Its also a ethnic (for lack of better word) thing, meaning some ethnic groups as a whole cannot digest milk products.
Panama
Well indeed the intolerance to milk is due to the inability for producing lactase. What I was not aware of it's that it can be a race-group related thing.

@UA Yeah, probably the doctor just wouldn't consider are 'regular' the consumption of other dairy products from, say, buffalo or goat milk. Those are not very usual, I think.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.