Driving Lessons in Germany?

Pages: 1 2

Steven23
Hi all I would really like to try driving lessons but I am a bit worried about the language barrier. I was just wondering are there any English speaking driving instructors about? I am in Duisburg.

I was wondering about a few other things do they do theory test in English here?

Do I need some kind of provisional licence to drive?

Will the licence if I passed be valid in England?

Also to those who do drive do you find it difficult to drive in England after getting use to driving on the other side here?
yamyam
steve , mums the word like
but hop on a jet over to poland and buy one from a petrol station then bring it back to beurokraut land and exchange it for a valid euro licence.

thats how easy it is believe me.
Neil
'can't help with the driving instructor, but you can do your theoretical test in English ..but you have to do an additional language test (just to make sure you understand german road signs i.e Umleitung = Diversion etc ) but it's dead easy. You can also ask your instructor to give you all the theory information / practice tests in english too.
yamyam
or just go to grotslovia and buy one for three turnips and a ride on a donkey
yamyam
if you let the bloke film you with the donkey stands a good chance youl get a helicopter licence thrown in

ok sorry steve i dont know your situation but my advice would be
if it is in anyway possible do it at home it costs a bloody fortune here.
but it can be done good luck
drea
There are english driving instructors here...my friend found one very easily. It does cost a fortune. You have to register for about 230 euro just to learn to drive, take the first aid course, the theory test (20 hours I believe) and then it is just under 30 euor for a 45-min lesson. Sell your house!

I find it confusing driving here after learning in the uk...the right before left thing confuses the hell out of me! And the whole priority system in the residental areas is insane. Maybe it is best to learn here if you will be staying here for a while.
jester
Hi Steve,

I did my test it in Frankfurt last year. Language is not a problem and my German is not good at all, enough to order a beer! I had no previous driving experience and had only driven on a provisional license about 10 years earlier when my dad was showing me the basics.

First off, it's very expensive but I think it was worth the money. Total cost was between 2k and 3k, can't remember the total as you end up paying for different things at different times such as first-aid, papers, applications, tests, etc.

To answer your questions,
Yes you can sit the theory test in English, there is no additional English test as someone earlier said.
No you don't need a provisional license, but you can only drive when the instructor is in the car with you until you have your license.
The license is a vaid EU license and can be used anywhere in the EU. Not sure if you move permantely back to the UK wheter or not you will need to get a UK licenese but if you did it is just a matter of handing in one and getting the other, no test required.
Haven't driven outside Germany yet so can't comment on this.

I'll give a quick run down on what's involved.

You need to attend a minimum amount of theory classes until you are capable of passing the theory test. I did it twice a week, think the min is 16 classes, have forgotten the exact figure. My classes were in German as there was no English school around. You mainly watch videos and the instructor explains situations to you. In my class we had 15 mins at the beginning for doing some mock tests. Best thing is to buy an English test book, it has about 80 test exams in it (around €80 I paid). The instructor corrects them for you and once you start getting 90%-100% of the questions correct he will apply for you to sit the exam. Also, the English test papers contain every possible question that could come up on the exam, so if you keep studying these then the exam is very easy.

You need to attend a first-aid course and get an eye test. The course I did was a 1 day course on a Saturday that included the eye test. Very straight forward. Was also in German but as we were using a dummy and the instructor was showing what to do it was easy. Simple things like what do when coming upon a crash, how to handle a person that is injured, CPR, bandages, how to secure a crash site. You get a cert at the end. The instructor from the driving school will provide you with details for these courses and all I had to do was show up, no pre-booking.

There is a min. amount of driving that you need to complete. The car I had was a diesel and was very easy to control, almost impossible to cut it out. I can't remember the exact times but it was something like this:
3 hrs city driving
3 hrs autobahn driving
3 hrs country driving
3hrs night time driving
1.5hrs parking, reversing

Once you have this done then it's up to the instrutor to decide if you are ready or if you need more practice. I did 3 hrs per week driving. I didn't start driving until a few weeks into the theory part. The more driving you do the more it costs as you pay per session, so can add up! The whole thing takes between 2-3 months.

The whole process was fairly straightforward. My theory exam was at 8:00 in the morning during the week. And my driving test was during the day so had to take time off. Just do what you did in practice and it's easy. My driving test was only 30 mins and didn't even include parking or reversing, think the tester was running late. The theory class can be a bit intimidating as you are sitting with mostly 16-17 year olds but apart from that it's ok!

Best of luck!!
Hannah
Haven't driven outside Germany yet so can't comment on this.
Jester, what do you mean would happen if you did?

For the rest, he did everything as you did aswell and had no additional test aswell for road signs. He hardly spoke german, the only thing was that the driving instructor said if the guy who does the test at the end does not speak english at all it would be good if you know what "nächste links oder rechts" means
Adi
Ref. driving in England after driving in Germany...

Yes and no.

No problem if I'm driving my LHD car in UK.
Yes, problems if I'm driving a RHD hire car in the UK.

Last year I had a hire car to go from Heathrow to Southampton. It was the first time I'd been in a RHD car in 4 years and I wasn't feeling very safe.

When I first got in it was such a weird feeling. I set off on the wrong side of the road, kept looking the wrong way for the rear-view mirror, it felt like the car wanted to tip over on its right side and I had a job keeping far enough away from the left side of the road to avoid running over the motorway white line.

But, after a few hours of driving the car I was mostly cured.
jester
Jester, what do you mean would happen if you did?
Don't want to test it out, hehe...

He hardly spoke german, the only thing was that the driving instructor said if the guy who does the test at the end does not speak english at all it would be good if you know what "nächste links oder rechts" means
I got told the same thing, hehe... plus I was strictly warned not to have any drink the night before my driving test
Hannah
Jester, you could drive in alot of countries outside Germany as long as you stay away from UK. It's the brits who drive on the wrong side
jester
Jester, you could drive in alot of countries outside Germany as long as you stay away from UK. It's the brits who drive on the wrong side
Ah my brain is asleep... late one last night, Kaiser Cheifs gig

When I said outside Germany I was referring to countries that drive on the wrong side
Neil
English test as someone earlier said
well things may have changed but it certainly was compulsary when I sat my bike
test here, all candidates who were sitting the test in another language had to do the german test.
Steven23
Thanks for your replies I think I would be better of having the lessons and test in England

I cant believe what you have to do just to pass a driving test here! It makes me wonder why most German drivers are crap drivers when I hear about what they have to do to pass

I also wanted to add that I did a little practice in my sisters car while I was over in England the other month and I freaked everyone out in the car by driving on the wrong side of the road I am not a bad driver or anything its just the habit of being on the wrong side of the road here.
Vloid
@ Jester
Ah my brain is asleep... late one last night, Kaiser Cheifs gig
Me too - but Thursday night Köln. Where was yours?

(Oops! A tad off topic )
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.