How to find BIC and IBAN codes for money transfer - Germany

International bank sort codes and account numbers

Pages: 1 2

j-m
cruiser's post about transferring money reminded me of a question I had but I didn't want to hijack their post. What are the IBAN/BIC codes and how can I find out what they are? I tried to transfer some money to a UK account yesterday online but all the info I have is the sort code and account number. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Purple Muffin
I am not 100% sure but I think if you go onto the internet banking site for the said bank you should be able to get it there.

I did this a while ago and found it there I believe! This was with HSBC.

Hope you get somewhere with that
cruiser
The IBAN and BIC/SWIFT numbers are codes which enable international identification of banks and accounts. In my case, with Natwest, the codes are printed on my bank statemants and are easily identifiable... perhaps yours are too?
j-m
It is not my account so I will ask the account holder to have a look at their statements this evening. Thanks for the info.
Craig
here's a good site(s) to look at ..

http://www.iban.de/

http://www.iban-rechner.de/
Neil373
BIC/IBAN 101

A BIC Code is a Bank Identifier Code issued by SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Communication). Think of it like an email address, SWIFT provides a messaging system which moves money from bank to bank, and each bank is identified by a BIC code.

The BIC Code is made up of several parts, for example, the BIC code where I work is PARBCHZZ. The first four letters identify the institution, in this case PARB stands for BNP PARIBAS, the next two the country - CH for Switzerland and the last two the city ZZ for Zürich.

E.G. Commerzbank Franfkurt is COBADEFF, Natwest in London is NWBKGB2L and so on

If you need to find your BIC code, look here.

The IBAN (International Bank Account Number) is a system devised so that transfers between individual bank accounts in different countries can be processed automatically. To do this a format was agreed upon which would allow the payment systems of the clearing bank to immediately know the exact bank account that a payment is supposed to go to. The IBAN is formed using the following information:

The 2 digit code for the country of your bank (which is provided by the BIC code of your bank)
A 2 digit checksum
Your Bank Sort Code (Bankleitzahl)
Your Account number

For example, if you have an account with the number 3751569 at Commerzbank in Frankfurt your IBAN would be DE30500400000003751569, broken down as follows:

DE - Country
30 - Checksum
50040000 - BLZ (sort code) of Commerzbank Frankfurt
0003751569 - Account number (three zeroes added as fillers because the account number was not long enough for IBAN rules - 22 characters)

(Oh, and before any of you ask... I just made up that account number, but you never know, it could exist, if you're feeling generous, try transferring some money to it and confuse the hell out of some poor Frankfurter!!!)

Here is an example of a UK IBAN:IBAN: GB99 RBOS 1234 56 12 3456 78

The spaces are only put in to help you read the number more easily, if you enter an IBAN on your online banking you do not need to incude them.

And that's about it ! Every bank account in the world can now be identified by it's BIC & IBAN... big brother is most certainly watching you.

I hope that clears up some of the mystery for you J-M.

Neil
Neil373
Oh, I forgot to mention... The IBAN are also Dyak people of central Borneo who live in the interior uplands of Sarawak.

So if you want to find an IBAN you can either travel to Sarawak or phone your bank, whichever is more convenient.

rick_de
So thats where our money ends up...

That reminds me. I once spent a year working in Hamburg (main residence and bank account with Deutsche Bank in Berlin). Believe it or not, they kept processing my rent Überweisungen wrongly for my Hamburg apartment. The payments werent landing in the Hamburg landlords account for the first few months, until they contacted me to find out where the rent was. My answer: well its been deducted from my account, so it must have reached you. Somehow or other they actually kept transferring money from my account to another account of a complete stranger in Berlin!

It turns out Deutsche Bank actually issue bank accounts with the same number more than once within Germany. A recipe for disaster, as evident in this case. Id have thought it was banking basics course 101 to understand not to issue the same bank account number twice. And that even though the accounts both had different Bank Leit Zahlen (Source Codes).. they still managed to b*lls it up.
Chocky
Hi all, can someone tell me what the cost for transferring funds to an Austrian bank account from my Postbank online banking with an IBAN number would be? I have searched for the answer but to no avail. My German isn't good enough i'm afraid.
Thanks.
Kätzchen
I´ve never been charged for Eurozone transfers in Euros, but that is with Commerzbank.
PandaMunich
No charge for a transfer Postbank-Austria as long as you use IBAN and BIC/SWIFT code.

See German explanation of Postbank here:
http://www.postbank.de/privatkunden/pk_aus...gen/fragen.html

Welche Kosten und Entgelte fallen an?
Überweisungen in EU-Länder sowie nach Island, Liechtenstein oder Norwegen führt die Postbank für Privatkunden immer entgeltfrei aus, sofern Sie die internationalen Angaben IBAN (International Bank Account Number) und BIC (Bank Identifier Code) verwenden.

Wenn eine Überweisung mit IBAN und BIC bis zu einem Betrag von 50.000 EUR erteilt wird, gilt sie als EU-Standardüberweisung
jeremyhay
For those whose German is not fluent, PandaMunich's post
states that transfers within the EU from a Euro account to another Euro account are basically free,
as long as the BIC and IBAN are used. It's quite true - I've transferred Euros from my German
Bank account to a Greek account with no probs. or charges. Shame the UK is not in Euroland!
GBP(UK) to Euros(D) costs me GBP 9 a go with HSBC.
Bomo
Hi,

Has anyone used FCD Foreign Currency Direct for money transfers? They have won awards for offering the best rates, but I'm interested in comments from 'real' customers of FCD. thanks
Rott
@ Jeremyhay
Exactly how did you do that?
I spent all day in banks and they all told me i can not transfer money to another international account.
LeonG
If you have a bank account in Germany, you can transfer money to another account in the EU through your online banking as long as you know the IBAN, SWIFT and other numbers you need.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.