Thrift Stores in Germany - Do they exist?

Pages: 1 2

willy
We have an ingenious thrift-chain in Canada called "VALUE VILLAGE", where you can just about getting anything - from new, used to vintage - at amazing prices/quality!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the shopping-pyramid is slightly distorted here, I've never seen a thrift store in Germany (well other than one overly-smelly church-run thrift shop with dusty crap) - on that note, nope, never seen one! Do they exist?

What happens with people's unwanted stuff? Does it all go to the "Red Cross", or are Germans "hoarders" and hold on to 'that' stuff until the end? Maybe they're chuckers, like the Japanese, and I should be wandering the streets late at night ... hehe!!
Ami in Berlin
I've been frustrated by the same thing, and loved 'The Village' back in the states. There are a lot of 'vintage' clothing stores here, but these defeat the purpose somewhat by being very expensive. I've also seen a couple Army Surplus stores, but again, not quite the same.
Alice
Yeah charity stores I love you can get some great retro stuff
willy
Ami, a girl of my heart ...

I was just home and OMG did I score at "The Village" ...

2 pair vintage mint 70's shoes - sandals/ballerinas
trendy 70's hippie poncho
CK mint desinger jeans (seen in P&C for 130€)
Seven jeans (omg what a steal for 20 CND)
Sterling silver candelabra (lmao)

Ohh and my fav. ... a vintage tweed fitted short-jacket with a mink collar!!!

***Sigh***
Ami in Berlin
I'm afraid I'm not a 'girl' of your heart, but I do enjoy thrift shopping. I can't say no to a $30 leather jacket straight from Starsky & Hutch.

Another peeve, why are used records as expensive as new CDs here? I'm used to paying about $5 per record in the US.
willy
A guy of my heart then
Ami in Berlin
Guess this isn't the most masculine of topics. I should have probably included a complaint about the hardware stores here (as in, why aren't there any?).

I think on reason why there are so few thrift stores is that most people would just as soon shop at C&A or H&M at prices that really aren't much higher. Then again, the 'Geiz ist Geil' culture would suggest a market for thrift stores.
Linda
In our area, there are tons of flea markets -- They publish a calendar, as they rotate locations. They sell everything and anything. That's the closest I've found to a thrift shop.
Ami in Berlin
We've got a lot of flea markets here, too, but they seem to be more focused on books and furniture, as well as very much over-priced records. Haven't seen much in the way of clothes at them.
rick_de
Unwanted hardware gets put out at the roadside on Sperrmulltag. Unwanted clothing goes in the local Red Cross container. Most germans wouldnt want to be seen dead in a thrift shop.
louise
There are some Oxfam shops in Germany which I think are what you mean by thrift shops. The one in Bonn is goodish for books, have never really looked at the clothes but hasn't much household goods. Here's a link to a list of addresses in case there's one near you anyway:

http://www.oxfam.de/a_42_shopadressen.asp?me=42
rick_de
QUOTE I should have probably included a complaint about the hardware stores here (as in, why aren't there any?).

They`ve all been killed off by the likes of the massive OBI-type superstores.
Ami in Berlin
They`ve all been killed off by the likes of the massive OBI-type superstores.
Exactly! And a damn crying shame, too!
Tim Hortons Man
Unwanted hardware gets put out at the roadside on Sperrmulltag
germans don't have car bootsales they have sparmull days, when we moved we had to get rid of a bunch of stuff so ordered the sparmull karte and set everything out on the street and the neighbours desendedon it like vultures on a fresh carcass!

I didn't really mind as I was getting rid of alot of good stuff and hated throwing it away.

Most germans wouldnt want to be seen dead in a thrift shop.
That may change as Germans have to get used to poverty (ie Hartz Iv) try living on 300 a month and the local thrift shop may start to look very appealing.

Rob

PS willy weather here in good old Kitchener high of 32 today yesterday and for the rest of the week lovin it. big change from Germany!!! Checked the weather forcast for Frankfurt rain rain and more rain, high of 22 yuck!
rick_de
I think that may well become the case. Have you also noticed just how many 55 Cent and 1 Euro shops are now appearing everywhere. In West Germany - I`m talking about prosperous Frankfurt here. You never used to see these in Germany. From now on, its downhill all the way. Never mind Hartz IV. Just wait til Maggie Merkel gets in, and introduces Hartz V - which will really give them something to squeal about (or put their plastic red bibs on and blow whistles about).
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.