Ostalgie - nostalgia for life in the former DDR - Germany

The lengths these people go to

Chris W
Ok, so I live in Berlin and on the eastern side of the former border between the two Germanies.. not very far away though. Anyhow, my partner's roommate is one of the "ost"+"nostalgie", ostalgie, freaks who will do anything to get a peice of what their lives used to be like before the Berlin wall fell. One thing: He's not even from the east, he's actually from closer to the Austrian/Bavarian border.. and two: He's barely old enough to remember this whole cold war thing.

So anyways, he has a portrait of Erich Honnecker in the front hallway on entrance.. which was weird when I first saw it, but I'm used to it now. Infact, I don't even think thats so weird now that I've become accustomed to Berlin... but today I noticed one thing which just blew me away: He's starting to REPLACE perfectly safe modern electrical work with bits and peices he's picked up such as light switches (and I think the wall outlet in the kitchen). It's the weirdest thing I've come across yet, and he's not the only DDR-Fan that I've come across.

Come on, 70s furniture revival is one thing.. but replacing modern electrical devices and circuitry with outdated, unsafe, communist-bare-minimum quality *or lack of* is just scary.

I sure hope this is an isolated case.
DDBug
Don't see much of it here in Munich. People here wear Dirndls and Lederhosen.
Jenny L
I lived in the east for awhile and you didn't see THAT much Ostologie. However, I was in a village with an unemployement rate of nearly 20%, so they probably just didn't have the resources to get into the Ostalgie kick. Either that or they still had the original crap.

There are some theories as to why Ostalgie is big. One of them I heard recently was that it's a way for East Germans to deal with the past. It helps relieve some of the guilt they might feel. I'm too tired to go into the list of things they had for East Germans to feel guilty about- but the East German experience is absolutely fascinating. If you get the chance you should read up on what life was like or ask some old East Germans. I'll bet you get some really interesting and bizarre answers.

Oh- and if you can get your hands on an Amplemännchen keychain or something, I'd pay you for it.
Topsy
There are some theories as to why Ostalgie is big. One of them I heard recently was that it's a way for East Germans to deal with the past. It helps relieve some of the guilt they might feel.
I've honestly never heard that before. I lived in East Germany, too, and I really cannot imagine what the average East German has to feel guilty about.
Dame Edna
You can get Ampelmann paraphanalia at Ludwig Beck (ground floor) at the moment. Not sure why, but they are advertising that their prices are "green" at the moment, with pictures of the green ampelmann.
miluska
I can't honestly understand, why would anyone who lived there wan' t to do such things.
I personaly hate everything that reminds me of the times before the wall came down and I wasn't even that old, to realize the politics, just the memory of what the life was like.
HelterSkelter
No isolated case at all...

Sad but true... these people from west-poland sometimes are weird...
greenlakechris
Mount a few microphones and wireless web-cams in that guy's apartment. That'll make him relive the old days.

Start a blog:

21:36 - Komische Geräusche in der Wohnung. Offensichtlich Geschlechtsverkehr.

21:38 - ...
HelterSkelter
He'ld probably love that, to be honest...
Jenny L
I've honestly never heard that before. I lived in East Germany, too, and I really cannot imagine what the average East German has to feel guilty about.
Yeah, I know. I found it a very odd thing as well. But how I understood it, they talked about all different kinds of guilt people may have experienced on one level or another in East Germany- the guilt of ratting out your neighbors to the Stasi, not being able to give your kids bananas, having to rely on money from relatives in the West, joining the SED to avoid any disadvantages that might have come from not being in the party, to whatever else. And that the Ostalgie is just some kind of light-hearted therapy of sorts.
Serenissima
If you get the chance you should read up on what life was like or ask some old East Germans. I'll bet you get some really interesting and bizarre answers.
Does anyone have any suggestions for books? I've only read Anna Funder's 'Stasiland' and it has left me wanting to learn more (though perhaps something not quite as disturbing).
sunbedcleaner
Oh- and if you can get your hands on an Amplemännchen keychain or something, I'd pay you for it.
Yours for EUR 3,95:
[attachment=22601:attachment]
http://www.ostprodukte-versand.de/cnr-29/S...nger-gruen.html[attachment=22602:attachment][attachment=22602:attachment]Attached image

susie
Chris W
Jenny L, you can get those things anywhere here! But your best bet would to be ordering it only for 4€.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.