Babyklappe for unwanted babies - Germany

Hospital deposit boxes for giving up your baby

Pages: 1 2

jeremy
Although I complain sometimes about Germany last night I discovered something very positive in comparison to Britain which I would like to share.

My wife and I were watching a ZDF drama about a 16 year old who was too embarrassed to tell anyone she was pregnant and had her baby at home, which given our experience with our daughter was crazy. She didn't want the baby at first so she gave it to her boyfriend to take to what is known as a Babyklappe.

This literally means clapperboard or flap in German. The idea is that you anonymously put your unwanted baby in this sort of cupboard in the hospital, close the lid and walk away, no one knowing anything about who you are, no questions asked. Immediately you close the lid, on the other side, a beeper goes off to tell the nurse that there is a new baby in the tray. These babies are given to adoptive parents who do want children but can't have any. But the real mother does have two months in which have a second thought about her baby.

How many times in Britain did we hear of babies dumped in doorways by desperate unhappy 15 year old mothers who couldn't cope?`Why isn't this done in Britain?

Jeremy (more soberly thinking today)
Keydeck
I saw something very similar to this in Paderborn called a Moses window.

http://www.baby-fenster-paderborn.de/
Katrina
Actually there is currently a law before the Bundersrat concerning anonymous birthing (i.e. a mother can give birth in a hospital anonymously and thus have access to health care).
Unfortunately the Babyklappe only partly helps the situation meaning that a mother still gives birth alone and scared. Only the very desperate will ever use a Babyklappe and/or anonymous birthing but it can save lives. Of course, the best solution, even in cases which end in adoption, is that a child knows of it's history and background but life isn't perfect.
Katrina
Karen
I alway wonder how those woman hide their pregnance for 9 month so they don't have to explain where the baby is
grtho
As Katrina mentioned, anonymous birth is currently illegal in Germany and the CSU has been against these Babyklappen becasue it is anonymous - you know an Ausländer baby might get a German Ausweis and that would never do.

Yeah, this is the same CSU that wants to deny women that want it local access to abortion and shy away from sex education...

And sadly, there are still plenty of cases in Germany of (mostly) young scared girls giving birth in a doorway and leaving their baby outside hospitals or pubs or whatever and hoping it will be found. usually makes the front few pages of the TZ or Abendzeitung.
bucket06
whats the CSU campaign called ?

...halt die klappe!
don_riina
I alway wonder how those woman hide their pregnance for 9 month so they don't have to explain where the baby is
I always thought the same. A cousin of mine (not on the good Sicilian side, so have little contact with them and don't know her well) had a kid and apparently, SHE did not even know she was preggers for alot of the 9 months. Total shock to her. She is a bit, well, seriously fucking fat, so nobody else knew, but surely she should have.Cannot remember exactly how far gone she was when the doc told her, but more than 6 months anyway.

I thought this was unreal, and that it was not possible that somebody could hide pregnancy. There's a pregnant girl at work right now, and she is SOOOOOO pregnant. Huge great baby lump. No jumper or sweatchirt in the world could hide it. However, a mate of mine was up the spout, kept it quiet, and even worked as a barmaid up until 1 WEEK from the birth. Nobody knew a thing. Now as a barmaid, you are under the attentive glare of loads of blokes - not one geyser in the pub had a clue. Incredible. She wore big clothes, and does have an enormous cleavage (in the wake of which you could probably stash a long wheel base transit actually, so maybe a small kiddie wasn't such a big deal) but honest to god, there was really very little visible evidence of her being pregnant.
profundo
Meaning of Life scene jumps to mind.
Baby is birthed on the floor while the mom is busy washing something for her 85 kids running around.
"Be a dear and get that, would you?"
KingBilly
The Times have flagged this topic up again in today's paper

The articla says that "Posters were being put up in cities and towns across Germany yesterday, urging women to make use of the Baby-Klappe, with the slogan “Before babies land in the rubbish bin ...? . Anyone seen any of these?
LauKatOD
Yeah, I think there is a Safe Haven law in Massachusetts where you can drop the baby at a police or fire station and they will bring it to hospital and proper authorities and find it a home. No questions asked.
gooner_gal
Yep...there are posters at the bus stop where I catch the bus in the morning. It gives the addresses of the 3 (or is it 4?) Babyklappe in Berlin...
RedReitenHood
This is horrible. I feel horrible for the women who are put in these situations where they feel there is no way out.

I thought there were quite a few cases of infanticide, but I thought either I was exaggerating. But 23 cases so far this year!!! Does anyone else find this trend a bit disturbing?
s2s2
Yeah, I think there is a Safe Haven law in Massachusetts where you can drop the baby at a police or fire station and they will bring it to hospital and proper authorities and find it a home. No questions asked.
with the caveat "The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa.
What it says on the books legislators write, for all the good PR, can be and is arbitrary in practice.
What are the chances one fireman is a raving christian fundamentalist?... quite good, comparatively.
Thankfully not so much here
Captain Ridiculous!
Yes its very sad. Imagine it. To actually feel you have to push the little baby through a little hatch never to see it again.
Except obviously if the hatch is full. Like if there has been a rush on unwanted babies that night. And you have to come back the following night and have a second go.
Richardtoddywoddy
Babyklappe for unwanted German babies
...and the CSU has been against these Babyklappen becasue it is anonymous - you know an Ausländer baby might get a German Ausweis and that would never do.
Title says for unwanted GERMAN babies... other nationalities need to be disposed of using other methods.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.