Sending over-the-counter drugs from the US - Germany

Is this possible? Any experiences?

Pages: 1 2

kks
When we moved we brought a bunch of Nyquil liqui-caps with us and we swear by them. We are always able to fall asleep and feel so refreshed in the morning. We were disappointed that the pharmacies here don't carry such strong stuff and since we have gotten so many colds this season, we've run out of our tried-and-true Nyquil. Now that we're on cold #5, we need help! So:

1. Can anyone recommend anything that we can take that will work like Nyquil? For those of you who don't know, it is the night time sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever so you can rest medicine.

2. Is it possible for someone to send that stuff to us by mail? I'm thinking no, but just thought I'd double check. What about something like NICE (sore throat lozenge)?

The things that we have from Germany are called Lemocin for sore throat, isla moos for coughing, and something like Medinight (?) that the lady at the pharmacy said would make you drowsy but doesn't.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
cinzia
kks, you could try one of the international pharmacies to see if they carry the exact stuff you need, if you haven't tried that already. There's one at Neuhauserstrasse 11, and one at the Hauptbahnhof (on the street side facing Bayerstrasse.)

The only other information I have about receiving OTC meds shipped from the US is second-hand. A German friend of mine had some vitamins shipped over once. She had to go to the Zollamt (customs office, near Hauptbahnhof) to pick them up when they arrived, and she had to open the box and show them what was inside. I don't know if she had to pay a fee for value-added-tax or anything to the Zollamt to be able to take them home. Her conclusion was that it wasn't worth the bother.
MonksTown
MediNait certainly will make you drowsy, its a fairly hefty paracetamol / alcohol combo.
Given the tendency for German customs to open quite a few packages, the last 4 CDs Ive bought of play.com have ALL been openend I'd say it isn't worth the hassle.
Showem
I take Lemocin for my sore throat, it works fairly well to numb it. For coughing I picked up a bottle of Husten Saft made by tetesept.

For sleeping, I use a hot bath and some alcohol, but that might not be such a great solution if you have kids.

I think you may have trouble getting drugs sent over unless you send them in a package with other things and don't mention the drugs. If it's not over-the-counter here, it might not be allowed for you to have it.
eurovol
Break the O-T-C habit. Two words; hypo chondria.

Besides: Wicks Medinait and Vicks Nyquil are the same thing. Just shoot for these dosages worth.

* Acetaminophen 500mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)
* Dextromethorphan HBr 15mg (cough suppressant)
* Doxylamine succinate 6.25mg (antihistamine)
Carm
are you going back soon for a holiday, or is family coming over for a holiday? If so, then stock up. I always pick up my Seldane, Flouride tablets and Ibuprophen at home alot cheaper. Don't sent them in the post- you cannot be sure they will turn up, or if you will have to pay a huge Duty.
For a sore throat try Neo Angin- they are a red throat losenge, and have a numming effect.
MonksTown
Sore throat Dolo-Debendan from any Apotheke. End of.
planetmoni
about 10 years ago my dad ordered some cream against blisters from the US. however, the dosis of whatever it was, was too high and customs did not let it go through.
kitkat64
DayQuil and NyQuil are fantastic. It's probably the single reason my colleagues miss so much more work than me. When I feel shitty at work, I take the DayQuil and at night, I take the NyQuil so I can, really, get a decent night's sleep. And sleep or good rest is what kills a cold.

With that said, Vicks Medi-Night(?) and Day-Med are basically the same thing. However, the dosage is a little stronger in the American version (and the American version is cheaper).
knusper_muesli
I think I may have taken Wicks MediNait once, but nothing really lives up to the NyQuil (and especially NyQuil/DayQuil combo). Once slept a much needed 17 hours on NyQuil when I had been totally sick for days. Nectar of the gods...

Really, there isn't much you can do except for stock up when visiting home. Also, UK pharmacies seem to stock American-like OTC drugs, at the very least you can get similar things. That's only 1.5 hours away...
kitkat64
Besides: Wicks Medinait and Vicks Nyquil are the same thing. Just shoot for these dosages worth.

* Acetaminophen 500mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)
* Dextromethorphan HBr 15mg (cough suppressant)
* Doxylamine succinate 6.25mg (antihistamine)
However, DayQuil from the States has Pseudoephedrine instead of the Doxylamine succinate - a whole 30 mg - which is probably the part of the drug that makes you really feel good!!
MonksTown
Kitkat, see Post 10.
knusper_muesli
Ok, believe it or not Wicks has a website: Wick.de

Here's the info:

Wick DayMed is the equivalent to DayQuil, supposedly. It comes in capsules, whereas MediNait is only a syrup. There's no info about dosages, but if someone has it at home I'm sure it's in the package information.
interplanetjanet
It's definitely possible to send over-the-counter meds. My sister sent me some Advil Cold & Sinus (waaaaay better than Dayquil) when I was living in Munich. You can even send prescription medication through the mail. When my mother came to visit me, she forgot a prescription. She was able to have her pharmacist back home ship it to a pharmacy in Munich where she just had to show her passport to pick it up.
MonksTown
You take one capful of the MediNaight (say 20-30mls I think) and shouldn't take anything else at the same time. I can't see the bottle now. Boots in the UK do a much cheaper version but it doesn't taste as nice.

There is some MediDay/Medi Night combo in pills in one packet in Germany but I've never taken them. they day ones are just paracetamol and vitamin c anyway.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.