German words to describe different hairstyles

Hair terminology

Pages: 1 2

brokenm
or ein Thomas Gottschalk schnitt.

nixe
Maybe for a few layers you say 'ein bischen stuffig' or something (excuse the spelling)? (Vaguely recall the hairdresser asking me if I wanted layers that way the last time I had a haircut).
natasa
layers: Stufenschnitt
or just go to IGOR, Hairdrasser (Salon Genzinger, Balanstraße 95)
borracuda
Maybe it wasn't clear from my original post, I need terms for a woman's hair cut.

When was the last time you heard a guy ask for layers or bangs? Geez.
that's what I don't like sometimes about this forum.. getting heat from people about such stuff, who can't be bothered to type their gender (in their profile) at the first place..

a "thanks, I appriciate the help folks! but I guess it was not clear from my original post, I need terms for a woman's hair cut... " would have been nice..

Geez..
natasa
layers = stufen
bangs = pony
side part = Seitenscheitel
framing the face = gesichtsumarmend
trim = schneiden
Kay
a "thanks, I appriciate the help folks! but I guess it was not clear from my original post, I need terms for a woman's hair cut... " would have been nice..
Geez..
Now where was that "Thank you" thread from a couple of weeks ago?
Eleanor Rigby
Relax Bora, she was making a joke.
borracuda
thanx for the head's up ER! some quality sense of humour here.. needed some time for that one to sink in

anyways, nevermind.. I am relaxed as I can be on a Friday afternoon an hour or two before "Feierabend"!

so, no worries!
Kay
@mjdavey
Nothing risqué: it's a fringe!

Edit: Here we go again... another reply that appears before the question!
mj davey
...mind u - perhaps you might like to state what a bang is... for some of us 'blokes' it might have a very subtle alternative meaning...

;-)
Owain Glyndwr
just to add on what a few people have said. when asking for your hair to be layoured you can ask for a "Stufenschnitt".
brokenm
or treppenschnitt
Dame Edna
I put this list together the first time I planned to go to the hairdresser in Germany - it helped to learn in context (and no I didn't get everything done on the list...)

lockig = curly
volumen = body in hair
föhnen = blow dry hair
eine Dauerwelle = perm
das Haar hochstecken = to put hair up, pin up
der Scheitel = parting (e.g. mittelscheitel - parting in the middle)
die Pferdeschwanzfrisur= ponytail
der Zopf = plait or braid
Haarpflege = hair care
Die Haare nicht zu kurz schneiden = don't cut the hair too short

and to get a colour/tint = tonen (dye) and strähnen (not sure about spelling) for highlights/streaks
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.