European Health Insurance Card - EHIC / E101 - Germany

Formerly the E111 form, for cover while travelling

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Tim Hortons Man
I've been doing some reading on the new European Health Insurance Card which replaces the E111, and if you're British its easy to do, loads of info out there, but I havn't been able to find anything for German health care.

Up to this point I've been doing the travel insurance thing, cheap 16€ a year and has always covered any expenses, but I'd prefer if I didn't have to put the cash first.

Any idea how to get a European Health Insurance card?
I got a new E111 in March last year cos I couldnt find my old one and they automatically sent me a card when they came out - doesn't really answer your question though.
Small Town Boy
I believe they are issued by the private healthcare company (AOK or whoever) that you are insured with. That would be my first port of call.

The card issued in Britain is only valid if you are resident in the United Kingdom. A Briton living in Germany is *not* entitled to this card.
I believe they are issued by the private healthcare company (AOK or whoever)
AOK is NOT a private healthcare company!

The EHIC is integrated into all new insurance cards (on the reverse). If your existing card doesn't have this, then you can simply apply to your insurance company for a replacement.

Attached image

Not that the cover this card provides is very limited (dental treatment is often not included) and is no substitute for a good travel insurance (which is very cheap in any case)

You can get more info from the EU here: / healthcard
AOK issued mine after I applied online.

You have to say where and when you are going. Becasue the German system is based even in the "public" field on competing kasse you can move between they only issue cards for a limited validity. They also don't issue them for travel to countries where you don't need a card becasue of otherwise exisiting reciprocal agreements, including the UK.
The EHIC basically gives you the same treatment as the locals. So a foreigner (non resident) who got sick in Germany could go to the doctor here. He would most likely have to pay the quarterly Praxisgebuehr as the locals do, but no other fees. Same principle applies if someone resident here, with an EHIC from a German Krankenkasse, gets sick in another european country (e.g. UK has NHS so AFAIK doctor visits are free, in Ireland a doctor's visit costs about €40 for locals, so you have to pay the same).

You still need travel insurance to cover all the other medical situations. The most common types of things would be costs if you, say, broke your leg skiing in Austria and had to be airlifted from the mountain to the nearest hospital, or the cost of transporting you home if you are too ill to travel home in a normal plane or whatever, or indeed the cost of airlifting your body home if you die. You can get annual travel insurance here for as little as €10.

@Monkstown: That seems to be Kasse-dependant. I got an EHIC valid for two years for all 24 EU countries (i.e. not Germany). They also sent me out a number of forms like the old E111 for non EU eastern european countries and Turkey. Didn't have to specify any dates or countries I intended to visit.

I also thought the EHIC was the "recripocal agreement" between all EU states and that a German resident would indeed need an EHIC to get emergency medical treatment from the NHS in the UK at the same price as the locals (i.e. free AFAIK).
Any visitor wanting to use an EHIC here first has to go to the AOK (or any other participating Krankenkasse) with his EHIC and get an Überweisungsschein to take to the doctor. This is the only way the German system can setup the invoicing path. In an "emergency" the doctor may treat you on evidence of EHIC but will still need the Überweisungsschein retrospectively.

Wth the EHIC being integrated into the standard insurance card in the future there will be no need for any special application.

And one useful tidbit that not many know. If you fly abroad on a return ticket and subsequently die while away hen the return half of your ticket is as valid for your body in a box as much it is for your person on a seat. You might not be able to get the same flight originally planned, but the airline will even assist with the paperwork for body export and import.

Small Town Boy
I went to the AOK last year when I was surviving on a dodgy E111 form, and they assured me that "es ist einfacher geworden" and one no longer has to go to the AOK first; one can in fact now go straight to the doctors. Try explaining this to the doctor's receptionist though. She refused to believe this and also refused to call the AOK, so I ended up having to pay anyway.
An E111 form. I can find one on the internet, but I guess it needs to be stamped. Does anyone know who I need to contact? Thanks in advance.

BTW I want one from the German authorities.

Topics merged by admin
Your Krankenkasse will issue it. Info here: / healthcard / German - EN.
Nice one Katrina. What's with all the e's man? E111 and all that, confusing for us simple folk!
Aye enough e's and you'd be simple alright.

E111 is the old name, E101 the new card which also replaces E111 and E111B used by tourists, E110 used by international haulage companies, E128 used by workers posted to another Member State and by students as well as E119 used by unemployed people seeking work in another Member State (and yeah that was a C&P).
look here:

regards florian
I am sorry to say that the Pan European insurance card issued by all EU countries is not like the 111 form.

You are entitled to health insurance coverage that every german is entitled including co-pay drugs.
If you go to AOK and get a copy of the instruction of how to use the card and give it to your doctor he is required by law to treat you the same as any german citizen including operations, hospitalizations, etc.

It is not limited to minimal coverage. You are required at the doctor's office to sign a statement that you did not come here just for medical treatment. Thats it.

Unforntunetly, most doctors don't know how to enter the information into a computer, and the AOK person on the other end of the phone is no help either. Part of the problem is that doctors in germany want to get paid more money and come up with reasons not to accept state coverage.

Once you are entered into the computer, you will be given a AOK number. You pay 10 euro co-payment every 3 months, the same as any German. If you need to see another doctor, it is much easier because you can just have them call the doctor you registered with and he will give them the number. bingo! no problems.

You don't need any travel insurance or any kind of international insurance for the EU if you have this card. It is good in every country. the law says you should not have to return to your country of origin to get medical treatment, it will be available to you in any country in the EU union.

By the end of 2006, all countries in the EU will have new cards with chips that should simplfy the process. AOK simply reclaims the money from your home insurance company. It is all part of the system

Don't fall for some slick salesment trying to sell you international health insurance, it is a waste of money.

I have had no problem with this card, once you understand how it works. I evern had a spine operation and it was covered in full.

Just to 2nd what you wrote.

I use the the New Card as well...and when speaking to the authorities was told that if you get problems you can pay for the treatment up front and get refunded back in the UK. Also you can get a list of local doctors from the AOK (I think) who understand the system and will treat you with out hassle.

Be warned however it is only for those that are paying NI back in the UK who are entitled...if they found out that you are not resident in the UK but Germany you could be liable for the bill (as by law you are then required to come under the german system). I for one am stilling paying NI...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.