Low resolution photos into high resolution

How to convert the images

Pages: 1 2 3

Vanessa
I have a bunch of low resolution photos on my computer that for media/marketing purposes needs to be converted into high resolution. Can you tell me if there is software or some free download program out there which would enable me to do this?

Thanks
Vanessa
knusper_muesli
Err...I think they have to be in hi-res first - as far as I know you can only convert in the other direction, because converting from hi-res to lo-res means throwing away a part of the data, as it were.
Crawlie
Nope. Nothing. You can reduce the size of them but the effect is minimal. Other than purchasing the hi-resolution equivalents I don't see a solution at all. Otherwise these image companies would not be able to advertise their images on the web..
gideon
you cant. dead simple. your computer cannot create new pixel infromation without the resulting image being blurred.
Johnny English
You "might" try messing about in Photoshop to kinda artificially "sharpen" but it will probably still look like a dogs breakfast.
Tom17
Send them over to Hollywood. They do that on films all the time, maybe they can do it for you. Also try the makers of CSI and Alias - they seem to be the experts in this field.

No, it cannot be done. Stupid misleading-the-masses TV!
gideon
Send them over to Hollywood. They do that on films all the time, maybe they can do it for you. Also try the makers of CSI and Alias - they seem to be the experts in this field.
No, it cannot be done. Stupid misleading-the-masses TV!
you joke. i had a client say that to me once. she was adamant that i could zoom in on a picture cos they do it on the telly. muppet
Small Town Boy
I once watched a really rubbish film where they could rotate an image to see it from a different angle; in other words see things that weren't in the image in the first place. If they can do that, I'm sure a bit of pixel enhancement is possible
Crawlie
My guess is that they are standard 72dpi images for use on the web. The minimum resolution you need for a semi-decent print is 150dpi although that tends to be quite grainy. We normally request a minimum of 300dpi to ensure the best results.

Just to re-iterate. You should search for the Hi-Res equivalents and pay the fees they will charge you
eurovol
Folks, there are programs that do this shit. However, you cannot download them for free.
Johnny English
Like this:

http://www.focusmagic.com/exampleincreaseresolution.htm
gideon
Folks, there are programs that do this shit. However, you cannot download them for free.
doesnt work mate. believe crawlie and me. we're in the bizz
Johnny English
Agreed - I still think it will look like a dogs dinner.
Small Town Boy
This is the finished product, using the magicfocus software.

Attached image

I'm not an expert, but that looks pretty shit to me.
Crawlie
The programs give the impression of them being higher res but they just soften the image. Trying getting these printed to acceptable standard on a Heidelberg and you will soon see it was a complete and utter waste of time.

What type of images are they? Does it matter if they look crap?
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.