Where to live in the outskirts of Munich

Renting property in surrounding towns & villages

Pages: 1 2

nicolehorton
My husband and I are moving to Munich in the spring. We want to live relatively close to Olympia Park because he will be working at Oracle (within 30min by car or S Baun) and we want to live in a place that has bavarian charm, greenery or water, and a house that has some sort of garden or yard for our dogs. Please let us know what you think. I was looking at Freising, Feldmoching, or something like that...?
eurovol
You need to look at Feldmoching and Freimann first and foremost. Then you can look at Garching, Unter/Oberschleißheim and Moosach.
grazzenger
i can recommend freising for nature, pubs, less rent (slightly), and a comfortable atmosphere. it's within easy reach of munich should you want to visit but is also a real bit of bavaria. (also has a great swedish fish shop owner but that's 'was anderes'!!) if you want to know more, let me/us know, we lived there for several years.
bluedave
30 mins by car or S Bahn, water and greenery, surely Starnberg is the best option ?
Small Town Boy
Life in Freising, What is it all about?
The town of Freising, Just north of Munich

I would personally ignore the Starnberg suggestion, what with it being completely and utterly the wrong side of Munich. Freising is probably about a 30-minute drive in the rush hour to Olympia Park, but by public transport will be a little more complicated. It's very much a town in its own right; it's very different to living in Munich itself. You should probably decide if you want to live in a big city or not. I suggest not
dan_84
30 mins by car or S Bahn, water and greenery, surely Starnberg is the best option ?
30mins from Starnberg lake to Olympiapark? show me how you do that during rush hour. Freising looks like a much better option.
Editor Bob
See also the TT wiki article: Towns around Munich
kitkat64
I live in Unterschleissheim (not the 'city' part) and love it. It is a 15 minute drive to the Frankfurter Ring during rush hour.
NOFXmike
I've always been told Unterschleissheim was the "bad" version of Oberschleissheim...but I'd definately recommend Oberschleissheim, and hope to move there myself soon.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich/Oberschleissheim
kitkat64
NOFXmike - who told you that? It is so definitely not true. Unterschleissheim is so much bigger than Oberschleissheim that you can't compare them.
CGull
I live in Lerchenau, which is just near Olympia Park. It's a lovely area to live in (quite rich - not us though!) and we end up spending loads of time at Olympia Park - there's always so much going on there and it's only a five minute cycle away. I need to drive through Feldmoching and Oberschleissheim to get to Unterschleissheim, where I work, and they all look like nice places to live too.
NOFXmike
NOFXmike - who told you that? It is so definitely not true. Unterschleissheim is so much bigger than Oberschleissheim that you can't compare them.
A few Toytowners, my gf (who lived in Oberschleissheim for several years when she was like 8-12, er something...), and a guy I know from an online game who lived there for 6 months til he could find someplace better...

I dunno, I just want to move out of here...and Oberschleissheim looks/sounds so wonderful...
boomtown_rat
Grosshadern is less than 30 mins from the Olympic Park by car and U-Bahn. Right on the edge of town for greenery and house options. Starnberg to Olympic Park in 30 mins is pushing it a bit IMO
Mitch
As a general rule, the suburbs to the north are not in as pretty a setting and as close to the Alps as the other suburbs, however you can get anywhere much faster. The airport and all major Autobahnen are reachable from the northern suburbs, plus it is a quick drive to the "Olympic" area that Oracle is at, as well as Schwabing.

Everyone has mentioned some town names, but no one mentioned Ismaning and that area, which is worth looking at.

I personally have lived in Unterschleissheim for 27 years, and find the location and infrustructure to be top-notch, especially for children. BTW, the ONLY things that Oberschleissheim has going for it is the Schloss (Castle), plus it is a few minutes closer to Munich.

Mitch
Nishain
working at Oracle i´d recommend living in Moosach (where I live). If you´d prefer living a bit outside of Munich in a more bavarian style place how about Gröbenzell?. S-Bahn during rushhour 10 mins, not to far from Olympic park but already outside of Munich.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.