Germany's World War II heroes

Don't they deserve to be remembered?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Rahul
After I finished watching 5 out of the 12 sequels of ‘Band of Brothers’, (a war movie which glorifies the sacrifices of American soldiers during the 2nd world war), I could not help but wonder about the ordinary men of Germany who fought during the war. Not all of them were devious devils; many or most of them would be ordinary men who did what they were told to (or they had to). They loved their country; they fought for their country and died. But none of them are being remembered, honoured for their devotion. They too must have fears and families like the Americans or British soldiers who fought in the war. All in these years here I saw just one War Memorial (Denkmal) near the Neufarhn bahnhof which remembers the German war heroes and mourns their death. Nothing else! I feel it’s injustice in the part of the historians to avoid the world & choices a German soldier had during the war.
Yeti
Every german village I've ever been in has it's own war memorial.
Inflatablewoman
There is a big memorial for German war dead (civilian and military) near the old Baverian Army Museum (Residenz garten).

It's where the tomb of the unknown soldier is.
Kza
Nah every town has one. Understandably they cant really put as much behind it as the allies can "fighting for a good cause / freedom" and all that, but the sacrifices are nevertheless still honoured. WW2 and 1 and usually at the same memorial.
Jules Winnfield
Speaking of that show, there's a part in the final episode where a German officer addresses his men after the latter's capitulation and thanks them for their bravery in impossible odds, among other things, and for being a "band of brothers"...
Rahul
But from personal/psychological point of view, I have seen or read nothing which details the fears and heroics of a German soldier. What were their motivations? Their apprehensions. Did they wish to go and freeze in Russian winters? How did they feel about the nature of the war they were fighting? How inspired were they? These questions have always intrigued me & kept me curious to find sources where I can dig more in these lines.
kaiserf
Yeah, even Americans learn about the Nazi officer (have forgotten his name now) that wouldn't let them burn down the the big synagogue (Temple?) in Berlin on crystal nacht..
Jules Winnfield
There is an interesting first person account of a German infantryman on the Ostfront that came out a few years ago called Black Edelweiss. Check it out.

There's also The Forgotten Soldier...
MajorBummer
They loved their country; they fought for their country and died.
And because their stupid generals didn't dare to tell their sacred F├╝hrer that attacking Poland would be a bad idea, getting France and England all worked up in the process after they ignored what happend in Czechoslovakia. Those sissie generals shouldn't be commemorated though. The ordinary foot soldier had little or no choice and everybody at home was chearing after their first "victory" over Austria and Czechoslovakia. Pah.
Persius
There have been some TV documentries on the German soldiers who fought on the eastern front and were captured as POWs by the Russians and not released till 1955. One of the few German novels I ever read was a book called "das gedueldige Fleisch" about a german troop on the eastern front. Highly recommended for both seeing the German side of things and improving your language.

I think the topic is covered quite a bit in german language books/films etc. Understandably there's less coverage about this sort of stuff in the english language media.
sea-king
, Don't they deserve to be remembered? Options Rating

Quite frankly no they don`t, they may have looked pretty in their totally inadaqute uniforms but they were all dickheads. This I was told by my Uncle Joe, who done a fair bit of Jerry killing in his time.
Eleanor Rigby
My grandfather was hit with shrapnal and died somewhere in Czechoslovakia. We light a candle in his memory once a year on the anniversary of his death. That being said not one member of my family talks about this period of time. My mother was 9 years old when the war ended and says she doesn't remember a thing.
Yeti
I glad such a qualified source as your uncle Joe has cleared up the whole thing.
gideon
i think the nearest you'lll get to it is Das Boot, and the series of books written by the author. its difficult to find such things here, although certain books were written in the 50's and 60's they are long gone out of print. (but tats the same in the uk too) there isnt a market anymore for people who want to relive their experiences and somehow gain back some pride. would also say band of brothers does not glorify war, it depicts it as much as (we can watch without puking) it can from a grunt level. no other real axe to grind in it.
MajorBummer
@ER

Was your grandfather a Czechoslovakian or a Jerry? When did he die? 'Cause taking Czechoslovakia was a walk-over, must have been much later..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.