Choosing between HWR Berlin + University of Kiel

Master courses, admitted to both

snakie89
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and also in Germany. I'm from Vietnam and I just got the admission for Master courses taught entirely in English at Berlin School of Economics and Laws - HWR Berlin (International Finance), and at University of Kiel- CAU Kiel (Quantitative Finance). Since I have little information to compare these two courses, could anyone help me in choosing between these universities?

I would like to say thank you to all of your supports and I look forward to receiving advice from you guys
engelchen
I'm from Vietnam and I just got the admission for Master courses taught entirely in English
Why do you want to study in English in Germany rather than in an Anglo-Saxon country? In Germany, the quality of the courses taught in English are usually not as high as the quality of the courses taught in German (you might want to also read this thread on English-taught masters degree programs in Germany). If you are only interested in studying in Germany due to the lower fees, it really doesn't matter which school you choose (I don't know whether the distinction between Hochschule/FH/university is that important outside of Germany) .
rfuente
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and also in Germany. I'm from Vietnam and I just got the admission for Master courses taught entirely in English at Berlin School of Economics and Laws - HWR Berlin (International Finance), and at University of Kiel- CAU Kiel (Quantitative Finance). Since I have little information to compare these two courses, could anyone help me in choosing between these universities?

I would like to say thank you to all of your supports and I look forward to receiving advice from you guys
They should probably ban users dedicated to bash and put down people instead of answering questions and helping. Don't worry though this is a forum of Americans, and other similar types, Germans are way nicer, friendlier and multicultural.

To answer your question, both schools have a great reputation. If you like a practical and more hands-on education and learning how things are done in the real world you should choose HWRBerlin. If on the other hand you prefer theory and more abstract concepts you should choose CAUKiel.

If you prefer a small school environment choose HWRBerlin. If you prefer a very big university choose CAUKiel.

If you like to take advantage of living in a global, multicultural, diverse city with anything you could possibly want choose HWRBerlin. If on the other hand you prefer a smaller sized city choose CAUKiel.

Personally, if I were you I would choose HWRBerlin. Being such a small school it is very selective, the people there are very smart and motivated and on top of that you have the amenities of a global city.

Oh and by the way, I would suggest that you completely ignore whatever comment the previous basher said about lack of quality for programs taught in English. Let's just say she's clearly not an expert in the topic.
engelchen
They should probably ban users dedicated to bash and put down people instead of answering questions and helping.
You think honest opinions should now be censored? I think it is important that foreigners intending to study in Germany in English be forewarned.

Oh and by the way, I would suggest that you completely ignore whatever comment the previous basher said about lack of quality for programs taught in English. Let's just say she's clearly not an expert in the topic.
I am a native English speaker who has studied in both English and German in Germany. I can personally attest to the lower quality of courses offered in English by German professors in comparison to similar courses offered by the same professors in German mainly due to the professors' ability (or lack thereof) to express themselves well in English. Futhermore, in my previous post I even linked to a post by another native English speaker on her negative experiences at one of Germany's supposedly "elite" universities; the post gave specific examples of the programme's failure to provide information in English in a programme that was billed as not requiring German.

Interestingly enough, only non-native English speakers seem to defend the quality of education provided in English in Germany. Those of us who can actually tell the difference between well written and poorly written texts tend to agree about the quality.

What makes you think that you are better qualified to comment on the quality of courses taught in English?
rfuente
You think honest opinions should now be censored? I think it is important that foreigners intending to study in Germany in English be forewarned.
I highly doubt the person asking the question has any need for your opinion and prejudice on topics completed unrelated to the question.

I am a native English speaker who has studied in both English and German in Germany. I can personally attest to the lower quality of courses offered in English by German professors in comparison to similar courses offered by the same professors in German.
Did you even realize that what this girl is probably going to study is called international finance? Let me repeat INTERNATIONAL finance. We are not talking about engineering, medicine or law, we are talking about international finance. Clearly if there are strong English-language programs in Germany, these would be it. And you are the first person I hear who judges the quality of a program by the correct spelling of texts in a language that to the vast majority of people is not their mother tongue.

What makes you think that you are better qualified to comment on the quality of courses taught in English?
Well I know lots of people at both HWRBerlin and CAUKiel, studying in both languages. Personally, I've studied in both languages too at other universities. However, I didn't come here to pretend I know more than anyone else, I only came here to answer the poor girl's question.
engelchen
I highly doubt the person asking the question has any need for your opinion and prejudice on topics completed unrelated to the question.
Prejudice!?!!? On what basis are you accusing me of prejudice? Considering I have studied in Germany in both and English and German, I have first hand knowledge of the subject. Furthermore, I have even provided a well documented corroborating opinion. You on the other hand seem to make a habit of making unfounded accusations that you cannot support.

We are not talking about engineering, medicine or law, we are talking about international finance. Clearly if there are strong English-language programs in Germany, these would be it.
And on what are you basing your assumptions?

And you are the first person I hear who judges the quality of a program by the correct spelling of texts in a language that to the vast majority of people is not their mother tongue.
I could live with a few spelling mistakes. However, attempting to decipher Skripte written in Genglish that make absolutely no sense is something else (I personally find sentences where the VERB is omitted sometimes difficult to comprehend ). Do you really want me to start providing extracts of incomprehensible texts?
rfuente
You really think you show no prejudice? Oh engelchen, just get real. The girl said she's from Vietnam, and you clearly went after her accusing her of wanting to get a free/cheap education, completely ignoring her question and doing anything possible to discourage her from coming. This is what I see you doing over and over and OVER again in different ways.

Just so that the girl has it clear engelchen is NOT German. So don't think Germans are like this.
snakie89
Oh firstly, thank you, engelchen, rfuente
Your opinions means a lot to me, it's not necessary to argue you guys, we all know both positive and negative thoughts are important. I will take them into consideration carefully
And yes engelchen, since I don't have much money, going to english-speaking country to study is nearly impossible to me, that's one big reason why I chose Germany

And by the way, I also applied to other two university are Ruhr University of Bochum for the course Master of Economics and Phillipp University of Marburg (MSc in Economics and Institutions) so in your opinions, how good are these programs?

Once again, I appreciate your supports,

PS: rfuente, I'm a guy
engelchen
You really think you show no prejudice? Oh engelchen, just get real. The girl said she's from Vietnam, and you clearly went after her accusing her of wanting to get a free/cheap education,
I think you might want to look up the definition of the word prejudice. I wasn't accusing him of anything, however, considering that neither the University of Kiel nor the HWR are world famous for their programmes, the only thing they have in common from the perspective of someone halfway around the world is their low fees (on top of which if you read his last post he even confirmed it).

completely ignoring her question and doing anything possible to discourage her from coming. This is what I see you doing over and over and OVER again in different ways.
I don't discourage everyone, I only discourage those who I think would be better off elsewhere.

For example, I also know someone who studied International Economics in English at the HWR and could only speak A1 German when he graduated. After almost a year of unsuccessfully looking for a job, he found an employer willing to hire him full-time as a "Manager" at a restaurant for about 1200€/month gross (he was actually just working in the kitchen). When his work permit was refused he managed to avoid being deported by enrolling in a 2nd masters degree at another university in Germany. From what I hear he is going to graduate with his second masters in Germany soon, still doesn't speak German properly, and will be looking for a job. After over 6 years he doesn't have very good job prospects, however, does not want to return to his home country and as of August 1, 2012, will be able to take any job he can find in order to stay here for another 18 months.

On the other hand, I know a Moroccan IT grad who studied in German (native French speaker) who had his pick up jobs after graduation.

Every year thousands of foreign graduates of German universities leave Germany (Germany has one of the worst retention rates for foreign graduates of all OECD countries). Although some of them have no interest in staying in Germany, many leave because they cannot find a job.

Just so that the girl has it clear engelchen is NOT German. So don't think Germans are like this.
And you accuse me of prejudice!?!?!?

And yes engelchen, since I don't have much money, going to english-speaking country to study is nearly impossible to me, that's one big reason why I chose Germany
If you are interested in economics, I strongly suggest you read up on the concept of opportunity cost. Studying in Germany in English is not necessarily your best option.

If you are sure this is what you want to do, look at the specific courses that you'll be taking and try to the profs have any teaching material online.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.