Working as a psychologist in Germany

State of the market, how to find work, etc.

Pages: 1 2

Hi guys,

I need some information concerning the job market for psychologists in Germany. How does it work here for a person newly graduated in Psychology? Is he/she to perform some more years (in Italy there are 4 years) for gettin' the so-called "license for Psycotherapist"? Any of you have info or experience about the job market for psychologists? Is there a request for psychologics services? Is there a national register for psychologists?

Thanks in advance!!
the competition is stiff and complicated by the fact that any "real" psychologist is a "Diplom-Psycholog". A bachelor's degree just doesn't cut it, especially as far as the 'kasse are concerned.
Working privarely as a psychotherapist is always an option tho'
Thank you Plastic,
it sounds as the same as in Italy...very stiff!

ought to be a growth market though I should think
Why do u think so?
I have no scientific evidence for it, so its just a guess by me - but seeking such advice 'seems' to be becoming a more common action in my opinion (not specifically for Germany though - most of the 'western' world I would say)
As I understand, you need to do several years more of study after receiving a Diplom in psychology to practice psychotherapy on adults and be able to charge insurance companies.

If you've studied Paedagogik, you can study for several more years to become a therapist for children and adolsecents and be able to charge insurance companies.

You can't do this at a normal university as far as I know, you have to go to a private institute to do it and it will cost you a pretty penny.
I'm a licensed clinical psychologist in America and recently relocated to Munich for my husband's work. I'm wondering if there is any way that I could work as a psychologist here? How does one receive a license in Germany? Is there a website I can look at with criteria and information? Thanks for any info.

Topics merged by admin
Depends what area you are in.

I know there is a big queue/demand for English speaking psychos :-) amongst the International schools here (testing and therapy). There is always a need for marriage-counselling etc.

As with all things German you probably have to jump through a few hoops to be "recognised" in Municha as a practising psycho but that is just my opinion...
In order to practice as a psychotherapist and to carry the protected title "psychotherapeut", you must have an approbation. This involves several more years of study (beyond a degree as Diplom Psychologe or other) plus about 1800 hours of practical work (1200 hrs of this in a psychiatric hospital). You must also complete 150 hours of supervised therapy, and go through a few hundred hours of therapy yourself. After all this, you can take a test to receive your approbation, which will allow you to take all patients, private and state-insured.

If you want to cut the process shorter, you can become a Heilpraktiker in psychology, which involves an additional education which is shorter and less rigorous (I think about 2 years?), however, you can only accept private insurance and you may not use the protected titles "Psychologischer Psychotherapeut" (for adults) or "Kinder- und Jugendlichenpsychotherapeut" (for children up to age 21). I am not sure, but I think one may be able to just take a test to acquire the title "Heilpraktiker für Psychologie".

If you're looking for a therapist, you can be assured that someone with the title "Psychologischer Psychotherapeut" (for adults) or "Kinder- und Jugendlichenpsychotherapeut" (for children up to age 21) will have had the most extensive training.
Hi all, i'm new to this forum and first of all i'd like to introduce myself, 'cause i'm sure i'll be up there for long time.
My name is Max and i'm a neuropsychologist from Naples, Italy.
I have a degree in psychology and i've made a lot of researches in neuropsychology and collaborations with some University here.
Next month i'm going to live in Berlin, so i'd like to ask some questions, hoping someone could help me.

Acutally in Italy to work as a psychologist we should work (for free) for 1000 hours in an Hospital or some place like that (of course after getting a degree in Psychology). After that, we have to register ourselves to our national psychologysts register.
This registration is necessary to work as a psychologist or a psychoterapist. To work as a psychoterapist we need also to study for long time (usually 4 or 5 years) in a specific psychoterapists private school (only psychologists and psychiatrist can do this).

The question is: how to work as a psychologist (or neuropsychologist) in Germany? All the answers above explain only how to work as a psychoterapist, that is not the same. Could anyone please help me? Do i have to ask to the University (which one)? Or there are specific school (or hospitals) for training? Does anyone know if, after becoming a psychoterapist in Germany, i could work in Italy too? Or could someone please tell me to who i have to ask?
Thank you all!
Interesting thread. I have completed my Bachelor/Honours in Psychology and will be commencing my postgraduate studies at the beginning of Australia. My partner is German so I want to take the possibility of living in Germany into account when applying for courses. I have applied for the Doctor of Psychology (Dpsych or Psy.D), which is 3 years of postgrad study (for a total of 7 years psych study) and the Master of Clinical Psychology, which is 2 years of postgrad (for a total of 6 years psych study). After the Dpsych I will still have to complete one year of supervision and two years with the masters, as far as I'm aware. Will a total of 8 years study/supervision be sufficient for recognition as a clinical psychologist in Germany, or will I still be required to do more if I want to be listed as a clinical psychologist there? I know rules for this sort of stuff change frequently, so thought I'd put he question out there.

Any information would be very welcome! Thanks
Good news and bad news.

Good news

A new law has been passed that will come into effect next year to streamline processing for foreigners who need to have their credentials recognised in Germany; in the future applicants should receive an answer within a maximum of 3 months including what exactly they will need to do. Whether or not the authorities will be able to adhere to the deadline remains to be seen. The regulations vary by Bundesland, so you need to contact the appropriate agency in the Bundesland where you will want to practice (some Länder are further than others in improving their processes, but by the time you want to start it should be sorted out). Most Länder also require C1 or C2 German of foreigners wanting to work with patients. You can find current info on the Berufliche Anerkennung website.

Bad news

There was a really interesting article in the newspaper (either Süddeutsche or Die Zeit) a few weeks ago about the job opportunties for psychologists/psychotherapists in Germany. Although there is a shortage and many patients need to wait over 6 months for an appointment, there is also a freeze on new licences. The Ministry of Health is allegedly working on another method of determining the need for new therapists, but since more practices will also mean more patients are seen, and more costs for the health system, the Ministry seems to be dragging their feet.

When will you be finishing your masters? You can try contacting the authorities now (you can find all the info on the Berufliche Anerkennung site). However, if you don't receive a satisfactory answer, wait about 6 months and contact them again once the new rules come into effect.
Does a person need some kind of license or certification to offer private counselling/therapy in Germany?

For example, I see various ads in the "Services Offered" section for people who are neither "Diplom-Psycholog." or have any other type of German licensing.

If it's legal, what kind of insurance would one need to practice?
Für Elise
For private counselling you need to be registered with the Finanzamt, to have the sort of qualifications a client would expect their counsellor to have, and to have professional liability insurance (Berufshafpflichtversicherung).
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.