God Willing, I am coming to Germany for Masters studies(engineering) in September. I have the option of going to both east germany(cottbus maybe) and West Germany(wuppertal maybe).
Here is what my personal opinion is about both places. It is a product only of googling and looking at online resources available. I have not talked to anyone studying there and i have no idea of the ground realities. These are only my impressions of the places so kindly correct me if i am wrong.
Also, i would be looking for your opinion on which place to choose.
For me, having a good time in Germany is as important as a good career. So i not only want to move to a place where i can enjoy my stay but also where i can progress in my career easily. I am willing to learn German and in fact have already completed level A1, plan to do A2 by September.
1. West is a good place because it has so many other cities around it like dusseldorf, duissburg, bonn, cologne etc and i like travelling...To me it seems that east germany does not have that advantage. I am also not interested in countrysides as i live in one here in my country. I like cities.
2. West Germany has more international people, hence a better community for me to mingle in(and more tolerance of internationals by germnans). Not that i dont want to mingle with germans but i doubt they will be that hospitable to me.
3. West has more industries as compared to East, which means ill have better chances of a job
4. West is near some beautiful countries like holland, switz, austria, france. On the other hand i don't think there is much to see in the eastern countries.
5. I don't know why but west seems to me more like America or England while East always gies me the impression of a torn state with poor people.
I must say here that i intend to go to Germany for studies and then settle there with a job. I have no issues in mingling with the german culture as i believe one should not reject the host country's culture and impose his own.
To what extent are my above observations correct? by the way i am an Asian, Pakistani to be precise.