Trains from Munich to Zermatt via St. Margrethen

Can I use Bayern ticket?

omoo24
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Zermatt and is trying to find the cheapest and the most direct way there. In Swiss, I can buy the Swiss pass which cover all the transportation in the country but I would like to know if the Bayern ticket will allow me to travel from Munich to St. Margrethen which is the border station. Is there any other ways to change train at the Bayern-Swiss border?

Thanks in advance!
Darkknight
There are only 2 routes from Munich to Switzerland.

1. Munich-Karlsruhe then Karlsruhe Basel/Bern/Geneva depending on the train.
2. Munich via Lindau to Zurich then on to Basel/Bern/Geneva..

You seem to be asking alot of train questions lately, why not checkout the Deutsche Bahn web site and at least look at what routes are avail.
and the normal ticket costs... Then you can figure if/where the Bayern/SWE ticket is good.

But to answer your original question, No the Bayern ticket won't get you to St. Margrethen (Switzerland), It will get you to Lindau where you will have
to get switch trains (Get another ticket) for the train to St. Margrethen, then switch again for another train/ticket to Zermatt. (Swiss Rail)

So goto Hauptbahnhof, buy a Bayern/Schones Wochend ticket which will
get you to Lindau, and a separate ticket from Lindau to St. Margrethen (25 min ride). From there your Swiss rail pass will take you to Zermatt.
(Via St. Gallen,Zürich,Bern,Brig and Visp)

Keep in mind when planning your German side of the trip that the Bayern and SWE tickets limit you to using RE, RB, IRE, and S-Bahn...
The Option #1 I believe is mainly an ICE route both from Munich to Karlsruhe and Karlsruhe to Switzerland..
omoo24
hehe... yup. i am planning for a few weekend trips in Dec now. That is why I have been asking a few questions on the trains. I have checked out the possibility of Munich - Lindau - St. Margrethen - Zermatt from the bahn.de website. Just wanted to ask if there are any better ways to get to Zermatt other than those that I know.

Thanks a lot for the help. I will try to plan the trips properly since I am on a budget and want to make use of the Bayern or SW ticket to reduce the cost of normal train fare.
Darkknight
There is only one way to get to Zermatt by train, and thats thru Visp
as Zermatt is in a Dead end valley, and the rails only connects to Visp. From Visp you can go either East towards Austria/Italy or West thru Brig,Geneva,and Bern. The 2nd is the shorter/cheaper way, as the other way would involve many changes/time but is a lot more scenic..
omoo24
I have search the possibility of Munich - Zurich which cost 116€ for 2 persons return trip and use the Swiss pass from there. The other alternative is using the Bayern ticket (24€ x 2 for return trip = 48€) from Munich to Lindau and get a regular ticket from Lindau to St. Margrethen (5.80€ x 2 for 2 persons x 2 for return trip = 23.20€) and use the Swiss pass from there.

In the 2nd case, I would save ard 40€ but would have to take only RE, RB trains which means I would have to take the trains 1 hr plus earlier and the trip would be slightly longer. These should be the additional problems for me if I choose the 2nd case.

Anyone have any other better ideas?
Darkknight
You only need 1 Bayern ticket.. There good for up to 5 people..
Hutcho
she/he will need two because of the return journey..
Darkknight
Sorry, I got from the above port that 2 people were going...

I have search the possibility of Munich - Zurich which cost 116€ for 2 persons return trip and use the Swiss pass from there. The other alternative is using the Bayern ticket (24€ x 2 for return trip = 48€) from Munich to Lindau and get a regular ticket from Lindau to St. Margrethen (5.80€ x 2 for 2 persons x 2 for return trip = 23.20€) and use the Swiss pass from there.
grazzenger
good luck going to zermatt for the weekend, it's a twatting long way! we did it two years ago to meet my brother-in-law and his kids who were here from the states for summer ski training in saas fee. driving took us about 7.5 hours, so with making connection on several trains i can see it taking a veeeeery long time.

i guess there's a particular reason you're going to zermatt otherwise i'd recommend an austrian glacier if it's guaranteed good snow you're after. you can get the train to mayerhofen and the shuttle bus from there to hintertux.
Jeeves
going to zermatt for the weekend
Jeez yeah I only just noticed the "weekend" bit. I hope you like train travel because that's all you'll be doing! I've done it myself and it's a nice trip, but that was for a week. Either make it a long weekend or just enjoy the ride!
Darkknight
It will take you a weekend just to get down there and back.. You should have enough time in Zermatt for lunch before you have to catch the train back..
grazzenger
have just checked this out as i'm intrigued. you'd have to catch a 12:14 train from munich on friday, change train twice and use a bus and you'd arrive in zermatt at quarter to ten at night.

to get back, you'd need to leave zermatt at 2:30 on sunday afternoon and make 4 changes, arriving back in munich at 12:33am.
omoo24
After doing some research, we are planning to leave Munich on Thursday in the early morning 6:51am and coming back on Sunday late night/Monday early morning 12:38am. Might not have time to really visit the whole place but the place has some special meaning to us over this weekend. This is why we are planning to make the trip there over the weekend...
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.