Kindergeld for foreigners - Germany

Which documents a foreigner needs to provide?

Pages: 1 2

ashakoshka
Hi,

My name is Tatiana and I am pretty new here!
We are moving to Berlin in a week time! Very excited:)
We are also expecting a baby end of may:) my husband said that social system is so good in Germany that we will be entitled to receive Kindergeld. I was wondering if someone can help me to find out which particular documents about my income i have to provide (and to whom?) so we can sign for this?)

Would appreciate your help a lot!

Thank you
PandaMunich
You are only entitled to Kindergeld if you fulfill one of the following conditions (see here for the offical source):

• you or your husband is an EU (European Union) or EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss citizen, or
    Attached image
  • you or your husband are a citzen of Algeria, Bosnia, Kosovo, Morocco, Serbia, Montenegro, Tunisia or Turkey and at the same time an employee, or
  • you or your husband has an unlimited work permit, i.e. one which says "Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet" which permits both employee and self-employed work (i.e. not, for example, one valid for just 2 years, or one limited to just one employer, or one that just says "Beschäftigung erlaubt"), or
  • your or your husband has a Niederlassungserlaubnis (= permanent residency)

If you fulfill one of the above conditions, then you will get 184€ a month for the child. You won't need documents about your income.
For more details please read:

To apply for the Kindergeld, you would have to submit this form to whichever Familienkasse in Berlin responsible for your postal code area (they are listed on their page linked below):

If you don't fulfill any of these conditions, then you can still do a tax return until 31. May of the following year, and with that tax return apply for the Kinderfreibetrag tax allowance of 7,008€.
Please see the TT Elster wiki for step-by-step instructions how to submit a German tax return.

This means that your taxable joint family income would be reduced by 7,008€ and this would mean you would get back some of the income tax tax that you and your husband had paid during the year.
The higher your total gross family income, the more you get back.

Please have a look at the yellow line to see how much income tax you would get back (y-axis), at which total yearly gross income (x-axis), for one child, if you claim the Kinderfreibetrag tax allowance:
Attached image
ashakoshka
Thank you very much for your reply and help! It looks more clear to me now, however I am still a bit confused what is Kindergeld and what is eltern geld? As I have come across some information that something is calculated according to your previous income for the past year before the baby comes? It must be elterngeld? And if yes, what documents one has to provide to prove the income?
As I be been self employed, will my bank state,ends and invoices be enough? In what form would the have to be presented?

Thank you in advance.
Krieg
Kindergeld is kids allowance, you get it from day one until the kid is a young adult, it is fixed to 184 EUR per kid, you get slightly more if you have a bunch of kids.

Elterngeld is money you receive instead of you salary when you decide to stay at home during the first 3 years of your kid's life. It is around 67% of your income capped to 1800 EUR and you get it for 12 to 14 months.
ashakoshka
Thanks Krieg, now I understand the system and the difference:)
Any idea what I should present to German authorities re my previous income?

Thanks
engelchen
First, unless you have an open work permit for Germany, you are not eligible for Elterngeld. Second, income earned outside the EU does not usually increase your entitlement.
ashakoshka
Hi

According to what I have read I should be entitled as I will also have a residence permit which I assume will allow me to work. And the income I earned was in the uk, so it is the eu and should be counted in. Correct me if I am wrong?
The main question for me know what documents re my income I have to provide to have appropriate kindergeld? I m self-employed in the uk.
engelchen
According to what I have read I should be entitled as I will also have a residence permit which I assume will allow me to work.
A residence permit does not always come with an open work permit. Do either you or your spouse have an EU passport?

You can try to just show your previous year's tax returns for them to calculate your income, however, keep in mind you'll have to submit info on what you actually earned after the fact and your benefits will be recalculated.
desdemona
Please have a look at the yellow line to see how much income tax you would get back (y-axis), at which total yearly gross income (x-axis), for one child, if you claim the Kinderfreibetrag tax allowance:
Attached image
thank you for the nice chart, pandamunich. It means that tax saving wise, after reaching certain level of income it's not worth it anymore to work hard as the tax saving does not increase, and one would be better off having another child instead.
Hmmmm....*contemplating dragging hubby back to bed*
bumbuls
Hi

According to what I have read I should be entitled as I will also have a residence permit which I assume will allow me to work. And the income I earned was in the uk, so it is the eu and should be counted in. Correct me if I am wrong?
The main question for me know what documents re my income I have to provide to have appropriate kindergeld? I m self-employed in the uk.
I have a feeling that documents you have to submit depends on a mood of civil servant who process your application. For me it took about 4 months while I got Kindergeld from Familienkasse. I had to submit (were requested in several iterations) following documents until my application was approved:
1.Application form (twice, two slightly different versions of the same)
2.Certificate from city that we have been registered in Germany
3.Birth certificate of the child
4.Proof of employment in Germany (Reference from my employer in Germany)
5.Proof that I and my wife don’t receive any child money from my original country , also history for past 5 years
6.Employment history in my home country for past 5 years (for me and my wife)
7.Objection letter when my application was rejected

I'm with EU passport.
ashakoshka
A residence permit does not always come with an open work permit. Do either you or your spouse have an EU passport?You can try to just show your previous year's tax returns for them to calculate your income, however, keep in mind you'll have to submit info on what you actually earned after the fact and your benefits will be recalculated.
My husband who is invited for a job Is British, I am Russian, so I assume it must be him who will have to apply for this benefits then? His salary was nmore than mine, if you can call a Phd student salary a real salary? He didn't have to pay tax off it...
I am self employed and only did my first tax return for the period of April 2010 till April 2011 and that was just my first year working in the uk, which brought a very low income. However as far as I understand one presents the income for the period a year before the baby was born, so in my case it must be then from June 2011 till June 2012? So what documents should this be if I will only be filling in the next tax return in April 2013 (for the period of April 2011-2012)?

If you please can help me to understand. Whether it is me or him who can apply for it I d appreciateif a lot (in case my visa will have some bad restrictions)

Thanks in advance
ashakoshka
Bumbuls that's quite a lot of docs you had to show them!!! And you even got rejected:((( I must prepare better for this...
Thanks for sharing your experience!
engelchen
First, the parent that is staying home to look after the child has to file the application. Since your profile only says Russian, I didn't realise you have a British husband (this will make you eligible).

The process for self-employed individuals is more complicated than someone who is employed, especially if you'll be working part-time. Do you plan on working part-time after the baby is born and how will taking time off effect your cash flow? AFAIK the Elterngeld calculations are based on income (receivables) and not on when you actually do the work, i.e. you stop working when the baby comes, but since you are still receiving income from work completed pre-baby, your entitlement would be reduced.
S.G.
First of all you need to get Kinder ( 1-2,maybe more ,but that depends on you ),when they grow up you will give them Geld & that will be your Kindergeld
ashakoshka
The process for self-employed individuals is more complicated than someone who is employed, especially if you'll be working part-time. Do you plan on working part-time after the baby is born and how will taking time off effect your cash flow? AFAIK the Elterngeld calculations are based on income (receivables) and not on when you actually do the work, i.e. you stop working when the baby comes, but since you are still receiving income from work completed pre-baby, your entitlement would be reduced.
Thanks a lot engelchen! Well I will probably start working again after a year or so (will see how things will go) obviously my husband will be the main provider during this time, especially because my business is more the uk orientated (I am a freelance make-up artist and stylist, but also have my own millinery and fascinator brand:) I obviously keep on early some money even now but will stop from march (when we are moving)...
But well thanks a lot for yoour input! It s very valuable:))
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.