Do Germans hate redheads?

Or is this an ugly stereotype?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ThatAnnaGirl
In America, a child with red hair might get teased a bit, but when they grow up (especially if it's a woman) their fiery hair is seen as alluring, glamorous. In Europe and Germany, though, I get the impression that no matter what age you are, redhair is seen as unattractive, and you might even be discriminated against because of it.
Keydeck
Daftest thing I've read today...Germans absolutely love the ginge. The slagging off is mostly in the UK & Ireland...I think because there they smell of wee.

El Jeffo
Well, she might be mistaken for a witch, but only if she weighs the same as a duck.
Chad8504
Hanna86
I am a German redhead and I definitely hated being one when I was little. Pippi Longstocking, Pumuckl, witch..... I still get called a witch sometimes (mostly by friends, but usually just when I'm mean or very sarcastic), but other than that, I can't say that Germans hate redheads. Maybe they just know that we can be dangerous But seriously, it's just a stereotype. Most asked question by girls: "oh my God, is this your real hair color? It's so pretty, I'm jealous!", by guys: "so, are the rumors true? Are redheads really that wild?"
sarabyrd
Germans don't have the same hang-up about redheads as, for example, the UK. A distinct aura of non-issue pervades German society in this aspect.
Chocky
It's more of an Anglo-Saxon fixation, my sister swore that if she gave birth to a redheaded baby she would put it up for adoption..
john g.
I was a red-haired boy and unglamourous!!! Now I´m grey-haired and, erm, ah well, words fail me..
westvan
I've never seen anyone, child or adult, being teased about having red hair here. Quite a few of my kids' friends in elementary school had red hair and it just wasn't an issue. I personally think it's lovely.
farmerandy
John, my mother (all 5 foot fuck-all of her) has always had beautiful straight red hair down to her bum. It only shows in me when I grow a beard. Which is why I don´t grow a beard all that often - Jet black hair with a ginger beard is a look very few can succesfully carry .

As to the OP´s question? As said before, at the very worst, red hair here is a non-issue. In fact, for a certain "type" of German female, dyeing your hair the most incandescent shade of red possible has been the height of fashion for ages now.
mlovett
In fact, for a certain "type" of German female, dyeing your hair the most incandescent shade of red possible has been the height of fashion for ages now.
Genau.

Attached image

I think you'll find that what Germans dislike are Americans, regardless of color, especially those who don't speak German well.
gaberlunzi
Speaking of redheads.A few years into my mariage and a pair of kids and having a jewellery store my wife one day must have been bored stiff as she had the great idea to get a hair piece as doing her hair was to much effort.Not that I ever made a remark about her hair.One day she marched into the store and started to look around and I seeing only the red hair did not pay any attention to her, thinking she was a woman only browsing as many women do in a jewellery store.She got a little annoyed that I would not comment on her new possession and she walks up to me and says what do you think?I had one look at her and realized it was my wife and said very plain:"now you look like a dorf trottel".She never said a word turned around and I never found out where this beautyful rust red hair disappeard to.To this day I still get it rubbed in when she comes home from her beauty job when I don't remark how pretty she looks.
farmerandy
Awsome, mlovett. My wife went "Lola" a few years back. She bears a passing resemblance to Franke Potenta as well (a few more tattoos). I have to admit, I found it damn hot at the time. But then she went blonde, which is also hot . I was more referring to the "dorf trottel" that Gaber is talking about. You must have seen hundreds of them in your Harburg time.
ramalama
women with red hair are really hot,especially if they have that pink skin and green/blue eyes combo..the dark eyed ones with the dark red hair do nothing for me.
there was a german woman who did comedy recently on german tv who was wow wow wow. now after her baby she does tv commercials for i think cleaning products of some kind, still she is over the top.

when a red head is hot they get to dance and sing with elvis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiJ7uQfogKA
Beuel
In Europe and Germany, though, I get the impression that no matter what age you are, redhair is seen as unattractive
Well, if they are also short and overweight...
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.