Are you becoming forgetful?

What's your worst memory lapse?

Pages: 1 2

chris999
I just posted this as a reply to another post elsewhere -> but then thought it deserved a thread of it's own so apologies for those that have that deja-vu feeling - in this case it might not be your memory playing tricks!

Yesterday I was stood outside at our grill and decided I needed a piece of rope. Off I go to walk to my werkstadt. (about 20 meters). I get there notice the compressor is still plugged in - I unplug it - then I stood -> what am I doing here? -> I came to get something -> what was it?

I could not remember to save my life -> off back to the grill.

I got there - saw what I was doing -> oh - a piece of rope -> back the the workshop. Along the way I was thinking how this is happening to me more and more. Got to the workshop -> "what did I come for?"

The 3rd time I went to the werkstadt I remembered!
CopyWriter
After a long day at work I drove to where I used to live and fumbled with the lock for a while. Then the neighbor gave me a cheerful, "Oh hi, what are you doing here?" After giving that a bit of thought I said, "Just dropped by to see what you've been up to."

I was seriously considering therapy that day.
HEM
what am I doing here? -> I came to get something -> what was it?
Happens regularly. A previous manager calls it Alzheimer Lite. Its developed into Medium with me.
BobUK
Not sure if it's forgetfulness or distraction, probably a bit of both...

Quite often when I've returned bottles at the supermarket I forget to hand the refund slip in at the checkout, sometimes find myself going to the store with 3 or 4 refund slips.
Keydeck
What's your worst memory lapse?
About July '98 until roughly the end of '03.
PenguinRocks
I used to live in London and my grandmother lives in Cornwall but used to live in a tiny village about an hours drive from Okehampton in Devon...anyway, was taking the new gf to visit my grandmother and pulled up at her cottage...with a realisation that I'd just driven about 100 miles out of my way as she had moved 6 months earlier and her new address was sat at home, next to the phone...oops!
the.frollein
Not worst, just most recent... have forgotten the rest!

Two weeks ago, I rang up my yoga teacher to let her know I wasn't able to make the Thursday night class. Looking at my snazzy 3-month calender, I noticed that in August, 01-04 was marked on the last line of the month - gray rather than black - and told her that the following week, I would bring something so we could all celebrate 1st of August, i.e. Swiss national day. Only later that evening did it hit me that the following week was 1st *September* and any Swiss festivities had happened a month ago...

Next time I spoke to her, she said that yoga will obviously do me good, as it increases blood circulation and might help my memory.
djbobbins
I struggle to remember what happened yesterday but can recall the layout of the village shop where my grandmother used to take me along when she went shopping, about 30 years ago. Does that count? My excuse is that my brain is full of memories of penny sweets, dusty floors and the smell of firelighters, so there's no more space to save anything else...
Lorelei
This happens to me all the time. The worst thing is when I'm talking to myself, then forget what I was saying.
inPoster
Worst memory lapse? I don't remember.
dessa_dangerous
Even at the tender age of 30 (cringe) I have these lapses. I tend more to believe they are symptoms of the new age of limitless browser tabs and constant status updates and watching "viral" videos (and forgetting them as soon as they're finished) than that we have some sort of true, treatable-with-St. Whosits-Wart-style illnesses. Went out of the house today and sat by the canal reading a book and felt like I was "getting back to basics." Truly pathetic.

edit: Like Keydeck, I also have at best a scanty recollection of the late 90s/early Naughties
best4gotten
"I have these lapses. I tend more to believe they are symptoms of the new age of limitless browser tabs and constant status updates and watching "viral" videos (and forgetting them as soon as they're finished) than that we have some sort of true, treatable-with-St. Whosits-Wart-style illnesses."
And I thought I was the only genious who found out this is whats happening to our generation.

This friday, I asked my brother-in-law to stay in the taxi and went to a ATM macine I never used before to get some cash. once in front of it I had no clue whats my bank card pin number not even single digit I was totally blank Sad thing is I have been using this card for last 2 years. It took me 2 days to remember where did I write it in case I forget.
And the wife thinks it was just a trick to avoid shopping on Open Sunday

Quite often when I've returned bottles at the supermarket I forget to hand the refund slip in at the checkout, sometimes find myself going to the store with 3 or 4 refund slips.
I dont worry about that anymore, these slips come handy when I dont have enough Cash at hand
Lilylou
I regularly find items like the washing up liquid in the fridge and the milk under the sink. Years ago when I lived in the UK I found milk bottles in the salad drawer and sping onions on the doorstep. It usually happens when I'm in a rush and thinking about too many things at the same time, trouble is it's only later when I (or someone else) find the items in a strange place. Comments like why are the spring onions on the doorstep do not help.
pash in munich
Erm.,,,Christ,what was it again?
Tap
What was the question again?

Seriously, yes, I am becoming forgetful and it's really starting to frustrate me. I often walk into a room and can't remember why I'm there, I've often tried to retrace my steps, but sometimes I just can't remember until much later. I put it down to having too much rattling around in my brain at one time.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.