Air drafts make you ill, do you believe this? - Germany

Is there any scientific basis behind it?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

kitty-kat
I was just at a brunch in a restaurant when this subject came up. It was quite a warm day, especially inside of the reserved room we had. So, a few of us made the suggestion to open up a few of the windows- but some of our group (it was mixed between Germans, Americans, Italians & Polish) didnt want more than 1 window open as it would create a "draft". (and it would render them unable to move the next day from muscle stiffness...)

I have always considered a draft to be a current of cold air coming thru a room when the weather is cold already. When a current of cooler air comes thru a hot room- I've always called that "a breeze". What could possibly be the difference between a breeze inside, or one outside, where it isnt considered a draft?

Is there any scientific evidence that such a thing makes one ill? Or is this just another silly german old wives tale?
Carm
IMHO- its a wives tale, but they (most central europeans) believe in it. I work with 2 Dutch girls, that also don't like the windows open due to the draft! Drives me nuts! I have actually gotten blankets for patients as I refuse the close the window when the sunshines, and its warm out. Even in the winter, I like fresh air coming in the room- as I don't think it ever gets cold here!
eurovol
The weather does affect people with various preexisting conditions. Pressure and humidity can make people with arthritis uncomfortable, the rest is a bunch of hogwash. You don't get sick from a draft or a breeze.
tom_a
the rest is a bunch of hogwash.  You don't get sick from a draft or a breeze.
From what I can tell, nearly every German who goes to the US for the first time promptly catches a bad cold, because Germans are not used to air-con (the kind that directly blows cold air at you from somewhere). Once they do get used to it (after staying there for a few weeks, for example), most people don't mind anymore. To me, air-con and cold draft are basically the same thing.
HartlepoolLad
I find when I sit on my sofa for long periods of time working on my laptop with the door open behind me and a cold breeze constantly blowing on my neck and back, that afterwards I tend to have more stiffness and pain then if I sit the other end of the sofa in exactly the same position.

It is a fact that cold air makes muscles tense up (which is why it is recommended to cover exposed areas of the body up when massaging) and I guess it could strain the muscles more than usual when you move...
eurovol
nearly every German who goes to the US for the first time promptly catches a bad cold, because Germans are not used to air-con
Colds and flu are due to viruses, not AC. Almost every German that goes to the US for the first time promptly finds out that they have allergies (except those going to Arizona).
tom_a
Disagree. For example, the same happens to people going to Southeast Asia, where air-con is also prevalent. It used to happen to me in the past, but once I'd been there for longer periods of time, I no longer got sick. Don't think it has anything to do with allergies.

(edit: of course I don't disagree with the virus thing. But it's conceivable that the body's defences are weakened by cold air - why not? Don't have any scientific evidence, just observations how I myself and other Germans experience it)
eurovol
All scientific evidence points to allergies. AC homes are less ventilated than opening a window to let a draft or a breeze in.
HartlepoolLad
My Polish boyfriend gave me a hard time when we were on holiday in hot weather and I drenched my head in cold water as he said it would make me ill... never heard that and never had a problem personally... as far as I am aware it is good to cool the body down when it is too hot. :} Anyone had similar experiences?
Carm
I am always getting into arguments with people on buses, trains, and at the office, that an open window does NOT cause a cold or flu, but a virus! I often in winter run across the street to get my lunch, and the girls I work with yell at me I will catch a cold because I don't have my neck covered! Drives me bonkers!
tom_a
Us Germans, we are weird. Trust me, I know!
Carm
no its more a quirk! We all have somekind of quirks- its part of our upbringing!
eurovol
I seriously hate those neck scarves being worn to stop a cold. I just want to pull it and spin them like a top.
Crawlie
"The Draft" is just another excuse for workshy, hypochondriacal Germans to take time off work and, at the same time, give them something else to moan about. It is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard and I do not even take any notice of it when confronted with it. Indeed, I will go out of my way to open EVERY window in a train compartment if the weather is hot just to see how long it takes before I here a

"Excuse mee. vill you pleez close ze vindows as ze draft vill make me ill"

Never takes longer than 3 minutes... And I always tell them that if it bothers them then they should look for another compartment as the 15 other people here are not bothered by it at all...

Maybe we should build special air-tight containers for these people. OK, so they will not be able to breath but if it stops the moaning then so be it...

Now, if you will all excuse me, I have to go and close a few windows as I feel a draft somewhere...
don_riina
I will go out of my way to open EVERY window in a train compartment if the weather is hot just to see how long it takes before I here a

"Excuse mee. vill you pleez close ze vindows as ze draft vill make me ill"

Never takes longer than 3 minutes
Bloody right. Absolutely ridiculous. I make a point of risking nasty follow through, and squeezing out a small fart every time I hear it. Try and teach them that fresh air is a good thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.