My Kindergarten e.V. opening October 2011 (M-East) - Munich

Spots Still Available, especially 4 yrs and older!

Pages: 1 2 3

smwm30
Three conscientious moms are starting a bilingual (German/English) parent-initiative preschool/kindergarten (ages 2-6) in the Giesing area. We are looking for at least four other “founding families” to start this journey with us. Upon approval, the school will be partially funded by the city of Munich. We are working on securing a location and drafting our concept and guidelines, both of which we intend to have completed by next week. After that, approval by the city cannot happen until we have at least seven families who will found the school.

For more information, please PM me. I can answer your questions and exchange phone numbers, or give you the phone number of our group’s native German speaker if you are more comfortable with that. Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Susan
smwm30
I suppose I should add that we are looking to move forward with this as soon as possible and expect to have the school up and running by this Fall. If you are daunted by the idea of getting in on the "ground floor" on this concept, please don't be! We have already done the research and initial paperwork. Given the current (hard to get into) situation with Munich preschools and Kindergarten (especially bilingual ones that won't cost an arm and a leg) this is a great way to "build" our own Kindergarten with likeminded families and have somewhere for our kids to go to school where they're happy, healthy, safe and learn important school and life skills.
DoggyTJ
That's a lovely idea. Actually, I do own my own pre school, and wish to know more about your ideas, and your initial project. At current we are having almost a " survival situation" due to the circumstances we are at like ; radiation, aftershocks and blackouts. We have a good police security around. Just the news all over the world are pretty much disturbing ones, like causing everyone to believe that we are the source of radiation. We are watching thousands of movies now almost every day we are having parties for the kids just to forget for a while for this little while we are having an extremal situation. Considering a fact that thousands had left an area. I thought to hire one more person and live for Europe for a little while at first with a special charter plane. Occasionally, they are around. But, then I thought I will adopt an African approach, just to think about today and tomorrow. One of my friend has joined my preschool, whose brother is a capt in new york, and she is monitoring a situation in details. We do not need to take any pills for now. Her brother will never refuse to take us on board no matter what the others say about radiation.She is german and she is following the german news, we heard that they are checking for the radiation in Europe. Lets them check I am worried if a panic will continue then we will face like a kind of a round-up situation like the poor ones during WWII. Means, that we are not in a financial crisis,however, people shall avoid us because are aware of radiation one can not see or feel. This is a very disturbing feeling I deal with everyday.It is so great to hear about your project really it is. If I could I would join. Your idea is so refreshing. The safiest place to go is SA, I spoke with the parents of the kids, and at further point relax among the family, and get our other eu id, and come from SA to europe. I am happy about your project really. There is nothing better then having its own preschool surely. The idea is just great. You know what I think with the kids parents that perhaps it would be better if in Germany they would stop purchasing these g. m, instead send it to us. When I will be in Munich for sure I will, would like to see your preschool and you see my. In order for the parents to join you take a close trip around the international community.
jeremy
Good luck with the idea, but what exactly is wrong with the existing German KG's? Immersed in it they learn German much quicker.
boomtown_rat
how do you know that? Bilingual KG sounds like a good idea
smwm30
DoggyTJ, I actually lived in Yokosuka for 19 months during 2005-06 and my husband and I very much enjoyed our experiences in Japan. I hope that your situation gets better soon. Good luck with your school!

Jeremy, there is nothing wrong with the existing German KG's. The problem is finding room at a kindergarten, particularly a bilingual one. Many of the bilingual ones are also private, which usually also means a higher pricetag. In our case, we are likeminded parents who met through a pre-school playgroup and came up with this idea because we were having difficulty finding available kindergartens in our area. Thank you for the well wishes.

Boomtown Rat, thank you. There are plenty of bilingual kindergartens already in Munich, but again the problem is finding availability and wanting to travel to wherever that availability is. Thanks for the support
RuthAbbott
Hi Susan,

I've PM'ed you.

Cheers,
Ruth
hdwest
Jeremy, as Susan said, there is nothing wrong with the German KG's its just that some English speaking families don't know how long they will be in Germany and if they will have to take their kids back to their home country by time the kids begin 1st or 2nd grade so having a bilingual school is a nice option to keep English in a "school" setting to build skills outside of the home so that they aren't too taken aback when they return to the US or elsewhere. But if the families decide to stay longer, and will do German mandatory age schools then they will have gotten the German exposure too.
DoggyTJ
It is a great idea having own kindergarten. Think this way the easiest way:
1. Once you establish a kindergarten, there is no reason to worry about a further job layoffs or whatever.
2. You make people happy around you.
3. You can pass a kindergarten to somebody else.
4. You can hire anyone you wish to as a helper sturving for job.
SMW you are lovely with your idea. At this point must tell you that the only reason why I had opened a kindergarten, is a fact that I got bored of the airlines, I was too succ, anytime everywhere, upon returning from London, I went to the office and said that I wish to have my own preschool. That was it. You lived at Yokosuka, I got some friends, and the bases are not evacuating at all. So, there is still no reason to panic so much. It is up and down situation at current, many people received a shock caused by radiation had heard recently, and left. The problem for now is blockade and radiation screening for the passengers living Japan, and in some cases as it happened lately, some students were refused to enter Australia due to radiation. My neighbor from US embassy said that it is a politic it is getting crazy he has some friends in Munich you should go ahead with your idea just think how it went in Japan or in Hong Kong you can hire anyone you wish at anytime without having any stresses. I feel fine so far, but not sure if in a sense we are not a little bit "activated" with radiation.At current the base is helping a lot really no one panicks at all. So why would others then? I am not worried, only I think a best way is to go to Africa for now if a blockade will take further steps. Do not forget us here, go ahead with your idea, sounds really great, just explain the parents that all may benefit from your idea.
DoggyTJ
Suzanne, did you find any good families willing to join you with the idea of yours? Its really great. Went on base two weeks ago, had a great time at least no one was talking about the radiation. We talked a little bit with the friends, about strange people we do meet. Had met a person who was stealing the things with chinese a police believe so here. So we had a great time at a base really. Please follow your idea since September is approaching soon, and let me know how is it all going. Wish to help you but I am here now with my preschool. Recently had a visit from South Africa my family. No one was scared with radiation. My neighbour from US embassy is doing great he is after your idea as well. Since its great. Were you working in Tokyo at a preschool like Ebisu area on a way?? DoggyTJ
Kazalphaville
Good luck with the idea, but what exactly is wrong with the existing German KG's? Immersed in it they learn German much quicker.
They may do but additive bilingualism (paying attention to the development of both languages) is better than subtractive bilingualism (learning in target language only and negating the mother tougue).
smwm30
Thank you for the insight, Kazalphaville, it is much appreciated. I agree with you.

The project is moving forward. We have some prospective teachers and some very interested families. Our top location choice has been approved by the city and owner of the building. We will find out this Thursday if the city will approve funding for some necessary changes to the space (one emergency exit, changing the direction that the main doors swing, and a few other smaller items). If the work is approved, we can move forward with site improvements. If not, we have several other locations for consideration. We have completed our concept and mission, as well as the Membership Statutes (Satzung) for our Kindergarten. We hope to launch our website next week, and we will soon officially advertise for a native English speaking teacher with full Erzieher/-in qualifications. Thanks to those of you thus far who've expressed interest and support for our project! I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Susan
DoggyTJ
That's great really, hopefully you will manage it all.
Next week will go to our base, and is really lovely so far, as in fact no one talks about the radiation.
But, I think that one must watch out a little bit as in fact there are many of these preschools at current around Munich. My neighbour from US embassy was always supporting your idea as in fact he comes to my place as well. We both did. Perhaps we shall be at a local tv shortly with a neighbour so its looks lovely as well. Nothing new in particular, only these discussions here about war in Iraq is one big nonsense. You know Suzanne what, sometimes we have an impression that the people who moved to Germany and keep criti,,, the bases and etc,,, perhaps is not only due to a lack of knowledge its also like they wish to be more Germans then the German themselves are. Take care and have funs, and let us all know what's up.
Citizen M
Hello! I just saw this thread and although I am a little bit late, I´d be interested in joining the project if not too late or bring a kind to the kindergarten
Great initiative!!
smwm30
Citizen M,

Thank you for your interest! You are not too late! We are still looking for families. I will email you later this afternoon. I look forward to discussing the project with you! All the best.

Cheers,
Susan
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.