Road tolls when driving Italy - Munich

The charges and online payment options

Jona
Do I need to pay any road tax in Italy, like you have to in Austria? Can I pay online for this?
Keydeck
There are tolls that you have to pay along the way.

Last time I did it it was €8 for the Brenner Pass and then about €18 when you come off the Autostrada. That was going to Venice.
ajohnson
Not sure about paying online, but both Austria and Italy have tolls. Austria's is a sticker which you can purchase at most rest stations near the border. I believe the 10 day pass costs around €8. Italy's tolls are passed on how far you drive on their highways. You simply pull a ticket when entering the highway and pay when you exit.

Have fun
Jules Winnfield
Yes, there is toll. No, you can't pay online as it's charged per segment traveled. There are automatic toll booths which accept credit cards meaning one can avoid the long lines of people who pay in cash.

http://www.autostrade.it/en/index.html
tom_a
One clarification: There are actually two different tolls to pay in Austria:

- One for the Austrian Autobahn system, which is a sticker you can buy (e.g.) at gas stations, and which is valid on all Autobahnen, except for the Brenner pass.

- A separate toll for the Brenner pass Autobahn, which you pay at a toll booth.

You can avoid the first if you take the Autobahn from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and the Bundesstrasse to Innsbruck (effectively bypassing the Austrian Autobahn apart from the Brenner pass).
grazzenger
if you're a member of the adac, you can pay a certain amount in advance and then whizz through the empty booths designed for this. the camera picks up your registration number and debits the relevant amount from you 'account'. see http://www.adac.de/Shop_Verlag/Maut/default.asp for further details. but you can only do this as a member of the adac.
boomtown_rat
You can avoid the first if you take the Autobahn from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and the Bundesstrasse to Innsbruck (effectively bypassing the Austrian Autobahn apart from the Brenner pass).
you can usually get away with nipping along the short bit of motorway inbetween the brenner autobahn and the garmisch road too. Its only a few km
MonksTown
It's been said before but worth repeating:

Austrian police LOVE nicking German motorists who think they can break traffic law with impunity. If you get stopped, make it pretty clear despite the car's registration that you're not German.
Kanadian Steve
My co-workers think I am crazy.

In 6 days driving from Munich to Florence to Rome to Venice and back to Munich.

In Austria where do I by a highway permit (7,60 per ten days)?

I'll also need a permit to drive through the alps (special highway) (8,18 one way)

What is the best way to pay the 5 Euro per 100 km in Italy? (ie. bypass the long lines at toll booth)

Topics merged by admin
Keydeck
In Austria where do I by a highway permit (7,60 per ten days)?
If you're looking for the Vignette you should buy it before you get to Austria. Any petrol stations on the way will sell them.

Oh, and although it probably doesn't apply to you, it's illegal to have more than 2 vignette stickers on your windscreen at any given time. Sure you see people with lots of them but they can get pulled over.
samy
There's another tax you got to pay in Austria, if you take the route to go to Villach. There's a long tunnel and they charge you about 10 Euros for using it. And you pay it at the entrance of the tunnel.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.