The Föhn phenomenon - Munich

Weather in Munich

Pages: 1 2 3

robinson100
It comes and goes as and when.....

Even if it doesn´t actually affect you, you might notice that others people are simply more irritable than usual.....
Gen
It comes when it's a gorgeous day out and you'd rather play hooky from work.

Anyone who ends up at work anyway gets irritable that they're not out in the sun.
ian
The Föhn always makes me want to drink beer! So yes! It is not just a fairy tale. But it does not affect self-employed people. Keep your eye on Beamters (civil servants) too. They become docile and avoid any activity at least one week before the onset of the Föhn, tidal waves and earthquakes. No matter how far away they are.

Edit: correction. I suffer from Föhn the day after lots of beer.
bavariablu
Can be anytime Summer or Winter, Spring or Autumn.
sarabyrd
But never during the Wiesn.
gabi1
two main seasons, spring and autumn.
but you will encounter some also in winter and summer.
In winter this is very welcome, as you can go skiing at +10gradC, while there is still fresh snow.
JerseyBoy
I've lived in Munich for over 12 years, I've heard about this Föhn business, and I personally think it's a load of crap. The people who believe that the Föhn affects you physically seem to be the same people who think weirder things happen during a full moon and believe in astrology.
HEM
It's a shame really, because the Föhn usually arrives at the time of year when you can see the Alps from Munich.
Thats cause & effect!

The Föhn basically happens when warm damp air is forced by winds against a mountain range & has to rise. As the air mass rises it cools at 0.5 degree Celcius per 100m hence the relative humidity increases and at the point it reached 100% humidity clouds form & rain falls.

The air mass is forced down the other side - but now the air mass is dry & as it falls it warms at 1 degree C per 100m. Hence it arrives on the other side warmer & drier - hence you get good visibility!

For more detailed info see Wikipedia.

Such winds exist elsewhere - in the Denver area its called the Chinook.
sarabyrd
The people who believe that the Föhn affects you physically seem to be the same people who think weirder things happen during a full moon and believe in astrology.
Two misses out of three. Can I give you my headache next time around?
Elfenstar
i was doing an internship north of munich in spring and for no explainable reason i had a horrible, horrible headache. it just came on so suddenly. i could not sleep, then i went to work and i tried to work but it was useless. the secretary sent me home. said it was "fohn". i believed her. and sure enough, every so often i would get these nasty headaches. call it a strange coincidence. i don't live in munich anymore and i don't get sudden, unexplainable headaches either. i drink more wine now than beer, but i think that's not the explanation.
sas
one thing i forgot to ask - when does this dreaded foehn come to munich? does it have a season and how long does it last?
Dreaded Föhn? The Föhn is great, my first experience of the Föhn was drinking beer outside without wearing a jacket during the first week of January a few years ago.
westvan
Well I think it's been proven that some people are more sensitive to the weather than others. I also get headaches before a big change - hot to cold, cold to hot, thunderstorms, whatever. Some people's bones or scars start to ache due to pressure changes.

P.S. And a full moon will keep me wide awake.
sunlifelover
The Föhn is the last thing you need to worry about here .

Anyways, I think it's great! - it gives Munich some of the best weather in Germany.
sunlifelover

Anyways, I think it's great! - it gives Munich some of the best weather in Germany.
sunlifelover

Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.