Gems of Nuremberg

Must-see sights and places

Pages: 1 2

deeonuh
So, I've been living around the Nuremberg area for a year and half now. Other than the typical tourist-type places (Hauptmarkt + Burg,Doku-Zentrum/Museums and such) does anyone have any tips or not so well-known places that are worth checking out? I'm taking a week off at the end of the month and thought it might be interesting to get to know Nuremberg/Fuerth a little bit better...

Any one have any cool leads?

Much appreciated!
New2Nuremberg
I like cycling/jogging/walking along the river to Furth. I think it is about 12km.

Take in a football game for the experience if you have not been before.

Stay on the U-bahn after the last stop, then let me know what happened and how long it was until you could get off. Always wondered.
gordonthemoron
The caves and tunnels under the brewery by the castle and the castle itself are well worth seeing: felsengänge nürnberg

Kristal Palm Beach has a good sauna complex and the entire pool area is also nude on friday evenings
mattb
So, I've been living around the Nuremberg area for a year and half now. Other than the typical tourist-type places (Hauptmarkt + Burg,Doku-Zentrum/Museums and such) does anyone have any tips or not so well-known places that are worth checking out? I'm taking a week off at the end of the month and thought it might be interesting to get to know Nuremberg/Fuerth a little bit better...

Any one have any cool leads?

Much appreciated!
Winter's not the best time to explore the area, but:

• Schloss Stein is pretty cool looking. I don't know if you can go in, though.
  • It won't open until May, but the biergarten in the Wöhrder Wiese is the best place to drink beer in town
  • It's, again, the wrong time of year, but the Old Canal is great for bike rides and wandering
  • You can ride your bike to one side of the airport landing field and watch the planes come in, if that's your thing
  • You can go to the Regiomontanus Observatory
  • You're missing out on one of the best parts of living here if you haven't been to the Fränkische Schweiz or the Altmühtal. Even in winter they're beautiful
the-dude
Check out this video from Deutsche Welle about what to do in Nuremberg.

Click here
ukpunk1
1. Dutzendteich am Zeppelinfeld w. unfinished Congress Hall (Nazi party rally grounds)
2. Alte Veste in Zirndorf (Restaurant)
3. Playmobil FunPark in Zirndorf
4. Palace of Justice (Nuremberg Military Tribunals)
5. Pinder Park in Zirndorf (old U.S. Army Pinder Barracks)
6. Bergkirchweih in Erlangen (during Pentecost)
7. SS Barracks, now Govt bldg (old U.S. Army Merrell Barracks)
8. Christkindlesmarkt (end of Nov to ca. 20 Dec)

Been there, lived there, done that! (1998-2001)
techgirl
If you haven't been yet, check out the Spielzeugmuseum on Karlstraße 13. Even without kids, it's a lot of fun. Toys from the Dark Ages, toys from your childhood.... Dolls, trains, Legos, building sets, rockets, hobby horses.... I enjoy seeing what passed for fun in other times!

Take in a football game for the experience if you have not been before.
Or the Ice Tigers -- a couple weeks left in their season. Lots of fun!

Stay on the U-bahn after the last stop, then let me know what happened and how long it was until you could get off. Always wondered.
Did this once... about 4 of us ended up missing the last U11 stop at Eberhardshof. It pulled off the tracks and sat in between for about 10 minutes (as a short train) then back to Eberhardshof to head the other direction as a U11. Conductor told us to just sit tight for a few minutes.... Fortunately it's an above-ground stop!

I'm off work for the next few weeks (between semesters) if anyone wants to go wandering around the city.
nic-nue
Some friendly conductor will tell you how often this has happened to him last month. Then he will ask you to follow him and show you the way out. Walking the tunnel is an interesting experience. I haven't tried on the U3, though. Any experience?

* Visit the Tiergarten at night.

5. Pinder Park in Zirndorf (old U.S. Army Pinder Barracks)
Ex. No barracks anymore: http://www.pinder-park.de/
PCDonkey
Schloss Stein - usually open every 3rd Sunday - next one is 20th March

http://www.faber-castell.de/40137/Das-Unternehmen/Faber-Castell-Erleben/Termine-Schloss-und-Alte-Mine/fcv2_index.aspx

@the Dude (abides) thanks for the link - that launderette looks great. I have a euro mountain of laundry so may take it there. Cheers x
mattb
I haven't tried on the U3, though. Any experience?
At each terminus, the train pulls off to a side rail, waits about 10 minutes, and then moves back to the platform. It doesn't sound very fun.
gemini
Does anyone have experiences in Fränkische Schweiz? Looking to get information on where may be best to go for a day trip with kids (2 and 5) and a couple of kinda outta shape adults who used to love to hike pre-kids day.

TheThe best option would be taking public transportation from N-berg, so we could enjoy a beer at days end, but if driving to the right spot is needed, we are game.

Thanks
pog451
[quote name='gemini' date='21.Apr.2012, 5:41pm' timestamp='1335022908' post='2739515']
Does anyone have experiences in Fränkische Schweiz? Looking to get information on where may be best to go for a day trip with kids (2 and 5) and a couple of kinda outta shape adults who used to love to hike pre-kids day.
Top Tip when the weather gets okayish - Sommerrodelbahn (Summer bob run). I know the one in Pottenstein well (in fact a mate of mine ran it for a couple of years recently) and there plenty for kids and adults to do and a decent cafe/beergarden for afetrwards.

You probably can get there by bus and train, I would recommend driving though.

You can always go on a brewery visit - Most of them have Wanderwege around them too.

If you havent been to Bamberg - Also worth a visit.
Masala
The Johannisfriedhof cemetery is a very amazing place.
PCDonkey
ame='New2Nuremberg' date='10.Feb.2011, 1:00pm' timestamp='1297335644' post='2299838']

Top Tip when the weather gets okayish - Sommerrodelbahn (Summer bob run). I know the one in Pottenstein well (in fact a mate of mine ran it for a couple of years recently) and there plenty for kids and adults to do and a decent cafe/beergarden for afetrwards.

You probably can get there by bus and train, I would recommend driving though.

You can always go on a brewery visit - Most of them have Wanderwege around them too.

If you havent been to Bamberg - Also worth a visit.
Agree with Pog - Pottenstein is cool so are the caves there and the Felsenbad

Bamberg is a must - it is just beautiful - bacon beer and a trip on a boat and unesco world heritage town. Just gorgeous - best time to go if you also want free entertainment is - 13th to 15th July - Free street magic and jugglers, fireshow etc

My link
PDX-Chris
Fränkische Schweiz region is a great suggestion with its scenery and many micro-breweries. I believe the have some kind of kick and beer tour that is possible that you can partake in, I'm sure it makes the hiking a bit more bareable having numerous breweries along the way
As far as Nürnberg goes, the Lochgefängnis can be interesting which is across the street from the Bratwursthaus.
I would also suggest the Jazz/Blue bar that is up near the castle on the hill (can't seem to remember the name). Really cool soul/jazz/blues joint that is worth checking out even if you aren't super into jazz.
Up near the castle is also the Altstadthof Brewery which brews some pretty good beers, it is hidden up near the castle and is a definite must if you enjoy beer.
As previously suggested, Bamberg and Rothenburg are also cool towns to check out, Rothenburg has a Criminal Museum that has one of the few remaining iron maidens on display, really interesting museum. While there, you also have to have a Snowball which is a traditional baked good out of Rothenburg.
Any particular specific interests?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.