Are there black people in Germany?

Will I be alone as a black person in Germany?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

glick
Hi everyone,

Im a half-black, half-white German-American. I've lived in the US for most of my life but may be moving to Germany soon for a job and to go to school part time. I was wondering, are there a lot of black people in Germany or will I stick out like a sore thumb? I also find brown and black women particularly attractive and would like to be where there is a nice mix of people, brown, black, white, etc to mingle with and date. What cities, if any, in Germany have the largest black population? Where would you recommend I move to? I keep hearing that Hamburg has a significant black population. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Serenajean1
I am not sure if you are being sincere, therefore I know not how to answer.

Except to state the obvious, yes there are black people in Germany.

I think you might have ,more luck looking for multicultural cities versus areas with specifically black communities. Then again I never stopped and thought to myself wow a lot of black people live here, maybe I am the odd one here....head scratch.
Keydeck
Im a half-black, half-white German-American.
I guess you won't be so noticeable so long as you always stand sideways.
andyandy
I guess you won't be so noticeable so long as you always stand sideways.
So prejudiced - why do you just assume that the line of symmetry is vertical? It could be that his top half is black and his bottom half white, it which case he's fucked here in Germany...
fRe4k
I keep hearing that Hamburg has a significant black population. Is this true?
I don't think so. You usually get to see more blacks (or non-whites) close to the French border..and this doesn't really imply that they are the best places to live, for an expat.
llees
So prejudiced - why do you just assume that the line of symmetry is vertical? It could be that his top half is black and his bottom half white, it which case he's fucked here in Germany...
On the plus side, if it's the other way round he just needs to remember to wear socks with his sandals and he's all set.
nina_glyndwr
Plenty of black people here in D'dorf, mostly from Africa rather than the UK or the US. Hell, we've even got sari-wearing Indian ladies here, too.
mariska2
I have no experience as a black person in Germany; however, as a white person in Asia, my experience has been that the bigger the city, the less people will notice a foreigner - but even in a big city, there will be some people who will do the ol' double take. It's not so bad, being a celebrity.

I think there were some fairly recent threads about which German cities are most ethnically diverse/foreigner friendly, but I'm too lazy to search right now.
Krieg
If his bottom half is the white part, he got cheated.
Mistress kitty
No. There are certainly not any black people in Germany. Anyone who does not fit the strict German view of of desirable foreigner is simply made an example of and sent packing at the border. They have never even seen a black person in Germany. It is a very oppressed country you know. But then, you should know that, what with you being half German, oder?
jeremy
If his bottom half is the white part, he got cheated.
He might have a problem merging in, except at zebra crossings.
SnnyDsp
My dear glick-I completely understand your question and concern. I am an African American woman living in Germany so, my advice is-gravitate towards the big cities but try not to focus on isolating yourself (how many of them vs how many of us, etc, etc)...or, rather, dividing the world between black and white. Black people are not the same everywhere and don't necessarily identify with you because you are the same color. That is an American concept (IMO).
The only place that I have visited since living in Germany that caused me to say "Wow, there's a lot of colored folk in these parts" was Nuremburg (Unfortunately my German bf repeated me a few weeks later in Munich and I had to, very gently, explain the history and use of the term 'colored'-gave me a good laugh though).
I enjoy going there to party but I live an hour south in a small city so I'm not sure what it is like to live there. Oh, and they have a black hair shop there that sells products similar to what I get in the States. Other than that, there won't be anything like 'home' here...cause it's not 'home' per se.
You gotta make it work for you so have few expectations and an open-mind without focusing on the differences and you'll be fine.
Have fun!
Maid marion
In münich not that many but if you speak to them their main destination is England,they dont like Münich to many id checks.In England they feel well at home,has we have so many English mixed race people.

Brasstacks
Come to Gelsenkirchen, you will find just about every color here, including real Africans!
TobyG.
The percentage of black people in germany is about 0.5 %. So, albeit it is not much (especially compared with the 1.5 to 3 % in UK, France, Belgium and Netherlands), chance is high, that there are some thousands of black people in the larger cities. Larger populations of black people are found in Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt am Main and COlogne.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.