Bow hunting in Germany

Advice on getting started

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

camouflage
Anybody have any experience bow hunting in Germany. I'm itching to get in the backwoods again and track some game.
cinzia
According to Wikipedia, bow hunting is prohibited in Germany.
Oblomov
Hunting with bows is illegal in Germany. Try Italy.
El Jeffo
Some people think bow hunting is great.
Radical Germany, however, has banned it, as have several other European countries.
Very unsportsmanlike of them, I say.
Chocky
Anybody have any experience bow hunting in Germany. I'm itching to get in the backwoods again and track some game.
Here's an idea, why don't you piss off back to the states if you want to kill animals?
camouflage
Thanks for the reply. Maybe Austria? Italy is a little far. I know Europe is not to hot on gun ownership, you think Germany would encourage bow hunting as opposed to guns. Sounds perty darn odd they would ban it, it's safer than guns.
sosarx
Germany is not only not really hot for gun ownership. It's also not really hot for having everybody go out for a hunt.
ExpatUSA
Got a backyard?
SillyLawyer
Chocky - are you a vegan, or a hypocrite?

I can understand Germany not being "hot for having everybody go out for a hunt" because there really isn't much open space here, at least not in comparison to countries like Canada and the US. Still, a lot of people have ridiculously inaccurate ideas of what hunting season is like.

A hunter doesn't take ten steps into a wood and open fire in all directions until he runs out of ammo, nor does he draw and shoot on every slight twitch in the brush regardless of whether he can see his target. Hunters also don't waltz around with half-drawn triggers/bows waiting for a wet fart to push them over the edge into discharging. Most hunters grow up in hunting families and were raised to have tremendous respect and healthy fear of the firearms/bows/other hunting tools they use. Those who teach themselves are necessarily dedicated students, and that includes understanding outdoors safety.

From a health standpoint, I'm surprised that Germany prohibits bow hunting. People here are so concerned about being natural and eating organic or locally sourced foods. Nothing is more natural than harvesting your own food fresh from the great outdoors! That goes double for a person who is bow hunting, instead of using a firearm.
mlovett
Try Italy.
Please refrain from killing a bear. There are only a few left in Italy.

I just read about some asshole who shot a mama bear in California, just so he could rob one of her cubs (the other cub presumably died of starvation). He took fluffy bear home as a 'pet', and while he slept, angry Fluffy completely tore his home to shreds. Served the fecker right!

I've got nothing against hunting (or fishing) for food; I am opposed to hunting purely for sport/ taxidermy.
cinzia
Chocky just likes to get up people's nose.

Fluffy likely wasn't "angry" at all, mlovett. He was just looking for the food he could smell. Bears in Colorado routinely break into people's cars and rip out the back seats to get to a bag of dog food in the trunk.

Let's not kid ourselves about what legal hunting would look like in Germany, based on the fishing regulations. All of the classes, tags, and permits involved would come out to hundreds of euros. Nobody would actually do it.

Under those conditions, it's probably better to just let the pros cull whatever wildlife needs it that year.
howl
im from ontario, canada. in my opinion the province has pretty much the best game hunting/fishing management anywhere. in the last 10(?) years it has been able to introduce and maintain elk for hunting as well as all the other normal things ... geese, duck, turkey, moose, bear, of course deer, all fresh water fish ... lol... raccoon, fox, wolf, rabbit, turtle, frog .... you name it.... and to consider it has a "large" population as far as canada goes ...and also consider that most of the north of it is vacant.... and hunting for all these (minus moose who are a bit north) can be done right to the usa border, is good management in my books.

if you think about the total lack of "wild animals", even squirrel, (which you can also hunt ) it would only make sense that in an area that has been so grossly populated for sooooo many years, that all the animals have been eaten to extinction ... at least for the region ....

chocky needs to grow up a bit on the subject and maybe watch a film titled "food incorporated".
mlovett
Well, Fluffy also tore his couch to shreds, so I guess he had some Twinkies stored under the cushions?

Anyway, this was from a great book I just finished reading about a woman who gave up her lab [rat] career to be a wildlife rehabber. A woman after my own heart... I'd love to do something like that.

"Touching Wild"
lilplatinum
I just read about some asshole who shot a mama bear in California, just so he could rob one of her cubs (the other cub presumably died of starvation). He took fluffy bear home as a 'pet', and while he slept, angry Fluffy completely tore his home to shreds. Served the fecker right!
Fuck bears, I got chased by one when I was on my bike in Alaska and almost died, and when I finally escaped I ended up looking behind me to see if the coast was clear and wrecking my bike and splitting open my chin before the first day of 9th grade. Fuck nature. Then the high tech Alaska doctor brushed gravel out of my gaping wound with a toothbrush. Fuck Alaska.

The only good bear was Binky the polar bear in Alaska who mauled the dumb tourist who climbed over the fence to try to get a better picture of him. That bears okay, I'd let him have a drink with me - but he was probably only cool because he lived in the city.

Anyway yeah, having been raised by an extended family of yankee hunters, they are generally the most weapon responsible people around and also by and large the type that kill an animal and use pretty much every part of it - if you slag off hunters and you aren't a vegan then you should just go sit in the corner and pour yourself a big glass of STFU.
camouflage
I reckon if Chocky takes a look at bowandarrowgirl.com he might be hightailing it to the States.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.