Is post delivered on Dec 24th? - Germany

DHL delivery schedule over Christmas

Pages: 1 2 3

Bretty
Just wondering.. is there post delivered on Dec 24th in Germany? Specifically - will DHL still deliver packages that day or is it a full holiday?
Thanx!
Pas
Dunno but I am nerviously awaiting the answer to that as my son's most imporant present was shipped Monday from the UK and I fear it got stuck in a drift somewhere.

The post offices themselves are open.
Bretty
Well that's a good sign eh!?
I'm still waiting for my package from my parents in Canada and really hopes it makes it here in time to go under my tree! haha
Darkknight
Yes and No. The 24th is a half holiday. Most stores and companies shutdown by 1400
Pas
I asked the woman behind the desk in the post office today and she didn't know. Which concerned me as that means they can't be that closely invovled. Having said that most German companies work until midday tomorrow so there is hope.
westvan
Yes, we've had packages delivered on the 24th (when it was a weekday, of course) before.
Bretty
hahaha I can't believe it is all so vague!
Bretty
Excellent thanx Westvan! That gives me hope!
Zefix
I asked the woman behind the desk in the post office today and she didn't know. Which concerned me as that means they can't be that closely invovled. Having said that most German companies work until midday tomorrow so there is hope.
Last year I waited for a delivery from Amazon, shipped via DHL. I asked for shipment to a Packstation. The DHL courier didn't return it to the post office on time for me to collect it on the 24th. That would be the normal procedure when the Packstation is unavailable, which is likely to happen before Christmas.

The post office will be open until 1pm to 2pm on 24th. As long as you did not ask for delivery via Packstation your chances for arrival on time are good.
Cross fingers and touch wood!
poppet
Been waiting for a parcel via DHL from Leipzig since last Monday, 13.12. According to tracking and tracing it arrived in Bremen on17.12. Not sure why DHL should make a particular effort to deliver on 24th, they certainly don't do so the rest of the year. As someone who used to work for UPS, many moons ago, we would have been shot on the 24th if we returned to the 'Niederlasssung' without delivering everything. Even if that meant begging 20 neighbours to accept a parcel. Fair enough, the rest of the year we usually didn't even bother ringing but simply stuck a 'sorry you were out' note on the post box. Some colleagues didn't even bother driving to far-flung addresses and simply wrote n/a1, 2 or 3 on the parcel. Nicht angetroffen1/2/3. Simple huh?
Lisa Rusbridge
Last year a Christmas parcel I mailed from the USA on December 8th was delivered to my friend who lives in a small village in Bavaria on December 24th. I believe he gets his mail delivery in the morning if that makes any difference as the latter half of the day seems to be when the holiday begins. Also I mailed it via USPS, however now that I think of it I have no idea what delivery service would have delivered the parcel to its final destination. I guess I assumed it was Deutsche Post, however now that I think about it I have no idea if this is a government-only entity or if it is privatized. Regarding picking the parcel up at a Packstation or it being returned to the post office, my friend said if they have a package delivered and no one is home it's given to a neighbor who will see that it gets next door, but then this is a small village and maybe that makes some difference.
HEM
Just wondering.. is there post delivered on Dec 24th in Germany?
Had that discussion with my wife this morning - she believes that the Post DO deliver on the 24th, I have memories that they rarely have.

Specifically - will DHL still deliver packages that day or is it a full holiday?
DHL is somewhat separate from the Post - at least our way the Post delivers from bicycles are a small yellow van whilst DHL deliver from larger vans with DHL on the side.

The 24th is not an official holiday at all (nor is the 31st, see http://www.schulferien.org) - its just that most employers give their employees a half day off work. In my case (we have just been taken over) we get both days completely off.
It's_Me
DHL gave an interview this week talking about the weather problems. They said that they were going to deliver on the 24th.
Although I wouldn't be too optimistic. I ordered something from the UK at the beginning of December and it was shipped immediately. It arrived only yesterday.
My sister ordered something from the UK on the 11th December and it hasn't arrived yet. So I would try to think of something just in case it won't arrive in time ;-)
Post is surly delivered on the 24th.
Ruhetag
Yes and No. The 24th is a half holiday. Most stores and companies shutdown by 1400
On the 24th, I shut down at 0300 and don't REstart until 1400
kato
According to Amazon DHL does deliver on the 24th.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/help/seller/shipping.html?ie=UTF8&seller=A3RLPP4B2188KS&isPopup=1

Damit die Warenauslieferung bis 24.12.2010 (Hl.Abend) erfolgen kann, bestellen Sie bitte bis sp├Ątestens Dienstag den 21.12.2010 - 22:00 Uhr!!
Der Versand erfolgt ├╝ber DHL mit Paket-Sendungsverfolgung (siehe www.dhl.de und der per Mail mitgeteilten Transportdienstkennung).
Bitte beachten: DHL liefert auch am Freitag den 24.12.2010 aus.
However, according to DHL.de, they are currently not delivering timed deliveries on-time (ie those options where you can have a package delivered e.g. "before 9 am"). Due to the weather, until the 24th.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.