How long can you go without taking a shower

Share your thoughts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

resi
Apart from plain old dirt that needs to go, it's the sweat caused by fear and frustration that smells worst*. So I always shower after unpleasant meetings with clients and after watching scary movies. Since I actively try to space the two, I suppose I could go without a shower for weeks. I love reading in the bathtub too much to care to find out, though

P.S. Longest without shower? Trekking, so if half-arsed baths in very cold rivers don't count: about 8 weeks.

* This explains the smell in your local Amt. Schools are another prime suspect.
MiNi79
Two days, because I do not like to wash thick hair everyday and I don't like wearing shower caps. If I wait any longer then my hair isn't clean enough. I do not worry about stepping into clean clothes, because I often wear clothes (except underwear) a few times. As for going to bed in a clean bed, as long as my feet are clean, I don't feel dirty. I wake up with coffee and not with a shower.
joeyhl4
I've gone without bathing for two and a half months while in between living arrangements, and to be honest it wasn't all that bad, as long as I had semi-fresh clothes to wear.

Now I don't shower or bathe more than 3 times a week because of the cost of water in our apartment. I really don't sweat a lot and it actually takes several days for me to start to smell anyway. I almost never smell bad (and trust me I check quite often!!) because I am able to time my showers well enough to where I bathe right before I start to get stinky.

I have to agree with one of the earlier posts that said showering too often messes with her skin, for the same reason my skin has been doing really well on my low shower diet.

I guess I just made the gross meter go up for you guys, sorry...
lelijkebaas
After moving here from the US, I noticed that quite some people in Germany, especially in summer, reek like old sweat. Much more than in California, in any case. Of one colleague of mine, I can smell it when he has walked through the hallways a minute ago. Personally, I shower every morning - I just can't wake up without. And what's that about water being expensive? What if they would triple the price of toiletpaper...? Would you just use it every 3rd time you go to the bathroom?
westvan
After moving here from the US, I noticed that quite some people in Germany, especially in summer, reek like old sweat.
There's a thread on that somewhere on the forum. I think people came to the conclusion that as well as saving water by not bathing as often, some (not all) Germans tend to wear the same clothing for many days in a row.
john g.
Westvan: I know what you mean..I once read something about 20% or whatever of Brits who turn their underwear inside out every couple of days rather than change! Now that´s Leitkultur!
dcgi
A technique pioneered by Dave Lister
ladybeans5
Yes I have also noticed that Germans seem to be just a bit stinkier than New Yorkers. I think the deodorant here is not as good, or maybe they don't use any.... I don't like showering, but I like deodorant! For me it's not about the price of water, it's what water does to my skin. I showered yesterday (after going Sunday and Monday without one ), and my body feels like sandpaper and I am itchy and slimy because I'm coated in Nivea.

I have also noticed that Germans have no problem wearing the same exact outfit two days in a row, even women who seem pretty fashionable. I've had a few German teachers, and they've all done it. That was a new one for me. That would be a big fashion don't in the US.
gypsyMarianne
Ladybeans you obviously never made it to Kew Gardens NY in the summer. There are people living in multi million dollar homes and for religious reasons near certain holidays they do not bathe. They are also wearing HEAVY wool suits. The acrid pungent oder coming from one man made me gag. I moved to fresher air before I puked.

Men wear clothing for more than one day in a row. I have seen it in the US too. Here, in a language class there was a man from Africa and a man from Morocco who would wear the same clothing all week. My sense of smell is so strong and my stomach so week I could not sit near them in class.

I shower or take a bath every day and a second time if I exercise and go to the gym. My skin is not dry.
ukpunk1
I shower every day because I work out at our local gym Mon-Fri for 2 hrs. The crosstrainer really brings the sweat out!
nina_glyndwr
I was told by a Japanese colleague in London that if you wear the same thing to the office two days in a row, people will think you've not been home but have been with a lover instead.

Personally, if you don't sweat much...why change every day?

Mind you.. maybe British people aren't so fussy as New Yorkers because a) they don't all live in a hectic city (the air in cities in the UK used to be a lot dirtier than now) and they're used to school uniform. Wearing the same clothes for five days a week is normal in the UK. So if clothes are changed every two or three days, that's quite good going.

I work from home - no commuting, no rushing around. No need to change outerwear every day.
clickety6
I showered yesterday (after going Sunday and Monday without one ), and my body feels like sandpaper and I am itchy and slimy because I'm coated in Nivea.
How hot do you have the shower? Having it hot can trigger a reaction where you get an itchy red rash-like outbreak. Using cooler water might help.
If you suffer from Cholinergic Urticaria you can also go as far as getting hives from hot water.
MiNi79
A man wearing the same clothes all week would really reek! (post #54) I think that another reason people smell is that people wear the same coats all year long without taking them to the drycleaner. It is also inconvenient to keep everyone's clothes drying in the apartment all the time, so I can see why more people try to squeeze out a few more wearings before washing their clothes.
osmachar
What about people taking a shower in the evening and not the next morning? Had to do this once and felt terrible the whole day but I have friends who do not mind.
I love having my shower in the evening and going to bed clean. I cycle to work so it's nicer having a shower in the evening after 2 x cycling and then also cooking etc.

If I go out to a fancy do etc I shower before that.

I was told by a Japanese colleague in London that if you wear the same thing to the office two days in a row, people will think you've not been home but have been with a lover instead.
love this!

Sometimes it is ok to wear the same clothes more than once (but not in consecutive days). if you don't sweat and don't get them dirty you don't need to wash your clothes after every wear - escept underpants & socks!
dessa_dangerous
is this thread a windup? I thought everyone showered every day (in the evenings for me - going to bed dirty seems to defeat the purpose of having clean bedding).I guess I can add this to another list of differences between Europe and Australia
When I was about 13, my stepmother denied me access to the shower, claiming I didn't need one every day. I was outraged and indignant--in my young mind, I needed one for a couple of reasons: to wash my hair, to look fresh, and because god knows only nasty people leave the house without bathing. But I was a teenager, and most teenagers can be forgiven for being a bit insecure and self-conscious this way.

Not until I was about 25 did I realize she was right--one really doesn't need to bathe every single day (although, as I work with the public in a fancy place, I cannot chance going without), and FFS, those of you who shower for half an hour at a time or twice in a single day without actually needing it but just to feel "fresh", shame on you for being wasteful and vain.

BO is offensive to us Western humans because we aren't used to it, not because it is necessarily unhealthy.

There's a thread on that somewhere on the forum. I think people came to the conclusion that as well as saving water by not bathing as often, some (not all) Germans tend to wear the same clothing for many days in a row.
I had a student in my class who wore the same Pantera shirt for about eight days in a row. I was also surprised when one of the fashion student girls came in wearing the same blouse twice in a row, and I'd expected Mr. Pantera to come back after the weekend with something new, but there he was on Monday morning, prepared to battle out the week in the same fucking t-shirt. The day he changed was also the day he shaved and probably the day he showered. Ew.

My husband will wear the same thing a few days in a row, which doesn't particularly bother me because I'm his wife and I love him regardless, but I wonder why he isn't concerned that his friends and workmates will think he is a slob? Can it really be that common here?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.