People talking to themselves out loud at work

Is this acceptable?

acquascutum
i have the pleasure at present of sitting in an office with someone who constantly talks out loud to themself. including: asking of rhetorical questions, saying out loud what they are going to do next and making general comments. í keep saying 'was bitte/was/ich hab's nicht akustisch verstanden/etc...'. everytime the muppet says 'nix'. which means he doesn't realise he's doing this.

does anyone experience this problem and know how to overcome it apart from investing in an ipod or resulting to violence?
Moonboot
whack your boss

could be applied to co-workers too I guess...
Yeti
Record him onto your PC and send him the wav file in an email.
Kza
Everyone in my office talks to themselves whenever they are working. Sure if they are surfing then they sit there quietly with a smile on their faces. When they work its all "fuck this", "fuck windows", "fuck word", "you bitch", "you cunt" etc... Or the german equivalents thereof.

Its getting to the stage where I am cursing to myself even when I am surfing just to trick others into thinking I am working.
scotsman
Great post Kza!
brokenm
Be careful...seriously...The last place I worked two coworkers talked to themselves frequently as you described. A few months later both were in a psychiatric ward. Cursing or showing frustration is different than really talking to themselves...so no it is not normal or healthy.
perdido
Hey it is alright to talk to yourself. It is even alright to ask yourself a question. But when you ask yourself to repeat the question...then I would worry.
acquascutum
But when you ask yourself to repeat the question
class!
oli2000
I work quite a bit w/ numbers, and sometimes when stressed and the environment is loud I speak them to memorize them (quietly of course). Not unusual I hope, I've also noticed bank clerks do that.
jip
Everyone in my office talks to themselves whenever they are working. Sure if they are surfing then they sit there quietly with a smile on their faces. When they work its all "fuck this", "fuck windows", "fuck word", "you bitch", "you cunt" etc... Or the german equivalents thereof.

Its getting to the stage where I am cursing to myself even when I am surfing just to trick others into thinking I am working.
hehe, that is so me from time to time. But I say everything in English while all my co-workers are Germans (and only some speak quasi-fluent english). There are definitly some words that they don't teach the Germans learning English . On that note, guess I'll give it one last F' you right now and head home for the day.
acquascutum
but this geezer is on permanent commentary mode.
i'd hate to be his missus when he's on the job.
OhFFS
I've got one who sits there singing to herself, just loudly enough to be distracting and not loudly enough to make out what it is she's singing. It's like sitting next to someone with a loud Walkman, eight hours a day. *sigh*

Germans. Sometimes you just want to shoot them.

What do I mean "sometimes".
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.