temporary water mains above streets - Berlin

why are they there?

greenface222
Over the years I've always noticed those large blue or, more recently, purple pipes snaking around and above the Berlin streets. I've deduced them to be water mains, but does anyone know why there is so many of them, and why they often stay in the same places for so many years (i.e. hardly temporary as you'd expect)
Mapleleafdude
Berlin is built on swamp/marsh therefore groundwater is just bellow the surface. Every time construction takes place the water hast to be constantly pumped out and (more important) if a wall begins to seep water/breaks the construction site must be flooded fast so as to build pressure back up so that no surrounding building might be damaged.
greenface222
so is water being pumped to the storm drain or sewage system?
Mapleleafdude
Not that into the details but I would guess if the river spree (or any lake) is in the vicinity its bound to go in/out there.
El Jeffo
Sometimes it's pumped into storm drains/sewers, sometimes into a local river or canal, and sometimes just onto the next plot square on the water table map. It all depends on the local situation.

BTW: The water-pumpers are usually blue or purple. If you see silver pipes, they're for the district heating (Fernwärme) - they were above-ground in East German days, but are increasingly being moved underground.
greenface222
do they have a German name aparts from water pipes?
thechild
the pink ones are for temporary construction,i beleive. its to do with the whole berlin-swamp thing.
globalgirl
One of my students had a summer job painting those pipes, said it was sort of the trade mark for the company to have pink/purple pipes.
yourkeau
Topics merged by admin
Dear Berliners,
I have a bit stupid question, but I cannot sleep because of this and Google did not help me, so I'm asking it here.

So, what is the purpose of these pink pipes:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pPmD_VXY8d0/T3tFHrUrJrI/AAAAAAAAOb8/zt1ZQYC2UMY/s640/DSC02557.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rQtbpSuDX5g/TpBZQgIUsZI/AAAAAAAALBM/xnZVmmjjckg/s640/DSC09861.jpg

I've see them both in Western and Eastern Berlin. Why these pipes are not underground?

P.S. I don't know why, but the media tag does not work, I cannot embed images.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.