Recipes for American biscuits

And availability of ingredients in Germany

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ajohnson
My grandmother used to make big, fluffy biscuits for breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning (coupled with crispy bacon, fried eggs and sawmill gravy). Does anyone have a recipe for southern American biscuits? I can remember the ingredients but not the measurements. HELP!

Crosslink by admin: Baking Powder / Baking Soda in Munich
eurovol
I can tell you when I get home. I do it from scratch in my head, but if you want measurements, then I will have to dig out the recipe.

Do you want yeast or baking powder bisquits?

If you can google a Hardee's recipe, that is about what I have at home.
UpQuark
American biscuits (properly called simply "biscuits") are not like soda bread. Nor are they "American" scones. A good southern biscuit is a sublime experience.

eurovol: if it tastes like a Hardee's biscuit, I want the recipe.
Topsy
biscuits for brekkie?!
with gravy on top to boot?!?

what a strange race of people you are ...
DrivinWest
You peeps have no idea what you're missing!

BTW: in American biscuits aren't cookies and pudding can be a desert but isn't synonomous with one
interplanetjanet
biscuits for brekkie?!
with gravy on top to boot?!?
Biscuits are bread, and the gravy is a white gravy with breakfast sausage in it. Mmmm.
ajohnson
Oh God! Where is a Hardee's when you need one?!?!?! Now I'm starving!
Wee Mun
BAKING POWDER BISCUITS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup whole milk
Preheat the oven to 450.

Grease on 8-inch square baking pan or small baking sheet.

Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the vegetable shortening and toss it to coat with the flour. Break the chunk into 5 or 6 smaller chunks and start rubbing the flour and shortening together with your fingers and letting the mixture fall back into the bowl. This does not take long; when the mixture looks like irregular lumps you have mixed enough.

Add the milk all at once and stir to moisten all the flour and shortening. Dust a surface with flour, turn the dough onto the surface and knead the dough ten times.

Pat the dough into a circle about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut the biscuits with a two-inch cookie cutter and place on the prepared pan with a little space between the biscuits.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.

Serve hot with butter and honey.
Wee Mun
actually, shit loads of recipes here for your southern biscuits Yeeeeehaaawww!!
interplanetjanet
I made some using Wee Mun's recipe (which he no doubt just pulled off the net), and they weren't particularly good. I don't recommend it.
ajohnson
@ IPJ - then do you have any alternative recipes that you would suggest?
interplanetjanet
Well, I've got a lot more experience eating them than making them, but you might want to try this recipe on allrecipes.com. It's got 5 stars after 569 ratings. I've had good luck with All Recipes' ratings system. It's usually a good indication of the quality of the recipe (provided the statistics are acceptable).
ajohnson
hmmmm...that recipe is almost the same as WeeMun's first posting (just add a bit of sugar). not sure that would work to go with fried chicken, but thanks for the website, i'll definitely use it in the future for other things.
interplanetjanet
Well I noticed the few complaints that were posted in the reviews for that recipe were similar to my complaint with Wee Mun's (too flat, not fluffy). Perhaps I just screwed up the same way they did.
ajohnson
I had the same "flat" experience with my first try (without a recipe). They turned out like rocks. I could have broken a window with them... didn't rise hardly at all and were very dense. The ducks loved them though. Hopefully, the second try will go better. My mama suggested that it may be the altitude (says most baked goods have to be adjusted past a certain altitude - news to me as I'm not much of a baker). Anyone have similar problems with baked goods not rising? or know how to ensure not having the problem?
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.