Using VoIP for free international phone calls - Germany

Like Skype, but using various other software

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

YorkshireLad6
Would you like free, unlimited calls to: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom and United States?

Here's how to do it:

First download a Skype-like application to yur PC from here, install it and use it to log in and create a user account (no cost). Following that you can make free calls via your PC up to 1 minute to any of the above countries. If you then add credit to your account (credit card required) here (minimum is only 1 Euro + 7% Swiss VAT) you can make unlimited free calls to the same countries, plus cheap calls to many others (complete list here). You don't even need to your their softphone application- using the SIP registry www.voipbuster.com and the same username and password that you registered with you can also register any SIPphone/ATA so can use a "real" VoIP phone if you have one.

You also get a number for incoming calls (mine is in Hannover), but I've had no success in using this. Don't really care about this, however, as the the advantage is mainly for outgoing calls.

Disclaimer:
I can't say if there are any catches, but neither can I see any. I signed up yesterday and added €1 credit to my account. I've confirmed with my credit card company that only €1 was deducted. I've also made more than an hour of calls to USA, UK and Australia, and my whole €1 credit remains intact, and there have been no further deductions. I suspect this may not be a long-term offer however... I have some reasons to believe that this (apparantly Swiss) company may be related to the UK call-by-call provider Call1899

YL6
YorkshireLad6
A couple of people PM'ed me doubting the fact the calls I am making are completely free. For those doubting Thomases I attach below an excerpt form my call log/account for the last few days. I've made calls to UK, USA (both landline and mobile), Germany and Australia. Some were over 10 minutes long. All were free. My starting credit of €1 is still €1 ..

YL6

[center]Attached image[/center]
Kings Town
More info. VoIPbuster have said in their forums that the Free Calls would last as long as possible, but as use is quite high it won't be for too much longer.

Good news is that they said when they do start charging, all calls which are currently free will be charged at €0.01 per CALL.

And for those having trouble setting up the SIP proxies, it is sip.voipbusters.com NOT www.voipbusters.com.

And the incoming calls (as YL6 pointed out doesn't really matter ) DON'T yet work on your SIP hardware phone, only on their softphone.

OUTGOING calls work absolutely fine

KT
YorkshireLad6
China, Poland and Taiwan just got added to the list of countries to which all calls over VoIPbuster are totally free...
latecomer
am i being a bit naive here, but how do these boys intend to make any money if they giving all the calls away free? are they listening in and recording the juicy bits?
Grinner
They are probably making use of surplus bandwidth that they have already paid or commited to...

But it works... so what the hell...

G
latecomer
@Grinner

augustiner brewery do the same thing. if they make too much they give it away to anyone waiting at the brewery gates at midnight. got to be worth a look one night, eh?

YorkshireLad6
am i being a bit naive here, but how do these boys intend to make any money if they giving all the calls away free?
The business model (which I've seen) is perfectly viable, and will make them money in the long term. Don't forget, these calls won't be free for ever, but they have been free for the last few months, and probably will be for a couple more...

YL6
Darkknight
augustiner brewery do the same thing. if they make too much they give it away to anyone waiting at the brewery gates at midnight. got to be worth a look one night, eh?
Do I here a new TT "Night Out", meeting in the works??
Tom17
OK, trying to get this working on my Fritz router modem. I have put in the sip details but all I can get is an engeged tone.

Any tips?

edit.. a test call just cost me 20 cents.. so its no longer free :-(
edit2.. I just realised that test call was to my handy so is probably why it wasnt free
Tom17
Pah! too late to edit my last post. Anyway, I have got it working now and I think it rocks!

Free calls! woohoo!
YorkshireLad6
It's getting very popular. You sometimes need to try a call 2 or 3 times to get through, but when you do get through the call is fine, unlimited, and free...

You don't get owt for nowt...

YL6
Tom17
OK so now I have all of this working but some things are frustrating me.

For instance, there is one number in Canada that will work every time when using the Windows client, but when I try the same number from our phone(using SIP), it never works. Other numbers work fine, but this number has only worked one time. Even while its working from the Windows client it will still not work from the phone. Most annoying. Maybe the backend works differently for SIP and the Windows client connections.

So now we have been looking for other similar services but cant find anything. Any ideas there anyone? All we can find are monthly subscriptions and nothing even remotely close to being free.

It would be one of the few numbers that we need to be free the most that doesnt work with this... Typical. I know I know.. its free, and in beta, so we should be happy with what we've got, but its frustrating.
YorkshireLad6
There's no such thing as a free lunch. Be happy you can make ANY free, international call. I use VoipBuster 5-10 times a day for international calls, all of which are free. I often need to try twice, sometimes three times, but I usually get through by then. For the price, I'm more than pleased...

www.voipcheap.co.uk provide free calls to UK, Ireland and Netherlands, but only using their client no SIP access...

YL6
Blimeygirl
Well I have tried endlessly and it's no go to a certain number in Canada (it takes 50-60 seconds to connect to anything and then you just get a double busy signal). Naturally it is the one number I want to call! I only really make calls to Canada so it really is useless for me...it might be great for making calls within Germany or to UK (which I don't make any of).

Ah well...it was a nice thought...in theory. No free lunch...no cigar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.