Retired U.S. soldier wants to move to Germany

Advice needed

Pages: 1 2

Svarazics
Greetings,
I am a Retired Soldier currently living in the States. I would like to move back to Germany (I was stationed in Wuerzburg for a long time)and I have no idea where to start! I don't really need a job due to my retirement and VA comp but it a job would be nice to stave boredom. I would like to live near Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart or Heidelberg but will be content with anything near Wankum/Wachtendonk!

Where do I start and what do I do? Anyone know????

Also need advice on movers, housing and Postal Services!

Thank you all,

Porl
Svarazics
Need to stop typing when I am tired...I see my mistakes!!! Sorry all.......
ukpunk1
Apply for a GS (NSPS),WG, or a NAF (AAFES, MWR) job, then start from there.
NoBullJim
Go to USAJobs.com and take a look at the available positions and start applying. As of May 23 the NSPS system is no more as they are going back to straight GS slots. At the moment, there is a very strong push to cut contractor positions and convert them to GS so there should be an abundance of jobs listed.
Serenajean1
He doesn't need to do that. YOu can get another kind of visa just to retire in Germany when you have enough income to support yourself. I know quite a few people who did that.
You are allowed to live but not work and must have your own private insurance not the social.

Sorry I dont have more info off hand, I will try asking them. But hope someone else can also chime in. But he has other options.

My mom plans to do the same someday.
dbert4
Why do you want to retire in Germany? Unless you have some cultural ties with Germany, speak the lanuage, German spouse etc. what is the point?

The Americans are long gone from W├╝rzberg and aren't coming back. The American support structure is a shadow of it's former self, you really can't expect the military health system to support you just because you're a veteran. Unless you have another means of support, a military retirement won't be enough.
leeza
Why do you want to retire in Germany? Unless you have some cultural ties with Germany, speak the lanuage, German spouse etc. what is the point?
Apparently, he actually enjoyed the country when he was stationed here long-term. Imagine that.

...you really can't expect the military health system to support you just because you're a veteran.
EH?! If he put in his 20+, he damn well can and should expect the military health system to support him. That is part of the deal for long-term soldiers, and a great reason why many stay in 20+ years. He deserves it and absolutely should take advantage of it.

Unless you have another means of support, a military retirement won't be enough.
Well, that depends a great deal on his rank when retiring, and, of course, the ever-fluctuating exchange rate. But if he was, let's say, E-9 or higher in the Army, or an officer of any rank in any force, he could live a simple, but rewarding retirement in Germany. Especially if he retires near an active base and can take advantage of the PX and commissary, etc. And he apparently gets VA comp on top, so it IS doable, on a budget.

Svarazics - browse through the topics in this section - US Military - and you will likely find a lot of answers, even to questions you didn't even think to ask. I think it is lovely that you would like to retire in Germany, and at the same time, it is good to consider what you would like to do with your time (i.e. work part-time on base, perhaps study German, travelling, etc.) and find a place near an active base where you can take advantage of both the base offerings and the local offerings in your areas of interest.

Do you have a wife/partner who'll be joining you? Would be good to consider her interests and needs as well.

Good luck to you!

Edit: Just looked at Svarazics' profile... says he's 38 years old, so if he joined up right at 18, he'd be hitting 20+ this year. But just to clarify, my comments are based on a 20+ soldier's benefits.
Svarazics
Thank you all for your comments so far!

Yes, I am aware of Wuerzburg for I am one of the last to leave Leighton/USAMEDDAC Wuerzburg. I unfortunately helped close all those bases in the Lower Bavaria...Such a shame

And as for Medical; any and all Medical centers and Health clinics deal with retirees, family members and Active Duty. It also helps that I was a Medic (as well as other AMMED MOS's), so my familiarity with the people and the system is quite vast..

As far as my income and Retirement; Yes I have a 20 year retirement but only did 16. I was awarded a permanent retirement due to my injuries suffered and that this was my second retirement the Army decided that I had earned that privilege. I also have the highest rating of VA you can get without being lucky or bitching, whining and complaining about it to Congress (95%). And yes, I also have SSID. I know I will loose that if I make my permanent address in another Country, that's why you don't file for permanent residence outside of the US. So as you can see, I don't really need to work if I don't want too. I do tho because I have healed as much as I will from my injuries and I want to continue to serve in a different way now, suit and tie!

Nobull and UK; Thanks for the info. I got those websites up already and have been browsing them. Lots are non-pcs tho which really bites! If I have to sell everything I own to move I will but I would rather get a job that allows household good transport..

Leeza: I do have a significant other in Germany and she is a German National. We have and are currently talking about what she wants out of me coming there and what she wants for the future!
I found this website last night while looking for exactly this type of forum. I started to read all the topics and reply's but I think my eyes crossed at some point! I will read all I can that is posted...Thank you!

And for those who might question why? I am a German by heritage, I absolutely loved every second I spent their and I want to see and do the things I didn't get a chance to do when I was there! And I want to be closer to my Lady while she finishes her education. Besides the beer here sucks!!!!

Thanks all,
Porl
NoBullJim
Besides the beer here sucks!!!
Amen to that. You could always volunteer at a VA center to stave off the boredom, and could lead to a hired position....never know. Good luck
rdtsmith
The USO is also an option...they can even sponsor you so that you can shop at the PX, commissary, etc.

Off topic, but as a retiree you DO NOT have this privilege at the PX (which is why many retirees work part time there), although I believe you can shop at the commissary and then pay taxes on what you bought once or month as a retiree (help me out here please if someone knows the specifics).

Anyway, there are many retirees working up at HQ in K-town area...not so much elsewhere...BUT, the USO is good to its volunteers, so start out that way, and then get a job...go to their main website to see the job listings there.

FYI for anyone else reading this and looking for a job, they do not hire ANY local nationals or anyone who has been "in the German system", so US only....
Svarazics
Actually I shop at the PX and Commissary all the time, I even use their Barbers, and I buy my beer/cigs and gas from the Shoppette. Its part of the privilege of having that little blue ID card!

Actually, come to think of it, I used to host Breast Cancer Awareness at the PX for RETIREES! Which means they would have to be in the store!!! ANd then I used to give flu shots for Retirees at the PX and Commissary..
I also remember many, many retried folk and their spouses shopping at all base stores, I never remember a time in which I have not seen that.....

If you have a Retired ID card then you have privilege...If someone told you that they don't then they are not retired!
Serenajean1
They may be retired without having served the full 20.

My dad has privileges as he served a full 20. Mom not as she only served her initial in-listed time.
Conquistador
Leeza: I do have a significant other in Germany and she is a German National. We have and are currently talking about what she wants out of me coming there and what she wants for the future!
A disabled, retired veteran should have a lot of advantages in getting a GS position, so as others have pointed out that should be your first avenue. Make sure you get some legal advice as regards your pension prior to getting married if that is what you end up doing. Whether or not you do get married to your significant other, you are better off coming here under the GS system- the ones I know live like kings.
rdtsmith
As far as I know....legally, retirees cannot shop at AAFES as they are not covered by the SOFA agreement. My MIL is a widow, so she can shop here overseas (although she couldn't while he was still alive)....and perhaps there are some other categories, but AAFES personnel are not supposed to be selling to retirees....sorry.
ukpunk1
Well, my supervisor is an Air Force retiree and he shops in the Grafenwoehr PX/commissary all the time. He also has a "pink card" from the Zollamt to report taxes (honor system). Another friend of mine is an Army retiree and has no problems shopping in the PX/commissary. I wonder where did you get your info?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.