Fees for non-EU university students - Berlin

How much is it?

Pages: 1 2

naushikaa
I've done my Bachelor's in Australia, and am thinking of doing my Masters.
I have NO idea how much this would cost at a university in Berlin.
Any kind of ballpark figures? Some German friends seem to think it's free, apart from the couple hundred euro for admin fees. But that doesn't sound right for a non-EU citizen, and for Masters as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kanadisch
I might be wrong, but I don't think there is tuition, even for non-EU.

For example: http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studienbewerber/kompass/studienfinanzierung.html
Tabea
Germany does not discriminate between German/EU/non-EU students as far as tuition fees go - I think in Europe only the UK does (wondering how they get away with it in light of non-discrimination laws).

Depending in the Bundesland you are in, tuition will be free (apart from the admin fee of a couple 100€ per term) or cost something like 500-1000€ in fees.

To the best of my knowledge, the following Bundesländer charge tuition fees: Baden Württemberg, Bayern, Hamburg, Hessen, Niedersachsen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Saarland. The following charge only if you take too long to graduate: Bremen, Rheinland Pfalz, Sachsen Anhalt, Thüringen. And finally, the following are free: Berlin, Brandenburg, Mecklenburg Vorpommern and Schlewsig Holstein.
naushikaa
Thanks for that! I'll look into some masters courses in Berlin.
Tabea
What kind of masters are you looking at?
I think the deadlines for application are coming up in June/July.
That, at least, used to be the case in my time...
I graduated from Uni in Germany in 2006.
Aussie Girl
[/quoteGermany does not discriminate between German/EU/non-EU students as far as tuition fees go - I think in Europe only the UK does (wondering how they get away with it in light of non-discrimination laws).

[quote]
The UK can charge different (higher) fees for foreign students on the grounds of the subsidised education being a basic need of its citizens and a necessity for the good of the UK society. The UK is not required to provide that same basic need to foreigners.
swimmer
Discrimination? Are you serious? The UK taxpayer is under no obligation to subsidise anyone on earth who might want to study in the UK.
iain
Neither is the German taxpayer, however an UK person can benefit from the cheap German system just as if he was German. A German does not get the same privilege in Britain. Oder?
Tabea
Yes, they do. EU students are treated as home students. Overseas people are in the doghouse, as far as UK tuition fees go. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be able to afford my PhD in London.

@swimmer: And yes, I am serious and believe, that if you charge tuition fees at all, in an academic setting, that feeds of diversity, charge everyone the same, whether they are French or Nepalese or British.
iain
Ok thanks for the clarification.
Kanadisch
Germany does not discriminate between German/EU/non-EU students as far as tuition fees go - I think in Europe only the UK does (wondering how they get away with it in light of non-discrimination laws).
Well it seems that Denmark does it too.
Rnrchres
I am a non-EU student in the second year of my Master's degree here in Munich (I did my first Master Degree in Townsville, QLD of all places!). Anyhow I pay 560 Euros/semester in school fees (Tuition, Admin Fees, etc.). Not bad, but when I did a year of uni in France it was only 230 EUR for the entire year!
kato
To the best of my knowledge, the following Bundesländer charge tuition fees: Baden Württemberg, Bayern, Hamburg, Hessen, Niedersachsen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Saarland.
Hessen does not charge tuition fees anymore, after Koch wasn't reelected initially partly due to the introduction of tuition (and partly due to the abysmal educational policies of his government).

Well it seems that Denmark does it too.
And if i remember it right, Hessen state used to do it for a year or two until we got them to kick all tuition fees (non-EU students under that law could be charged up to three times as much as German/EU students).
Krieg
Just some extra info: You will get as well a public transportation pass that is valid for the whole state/region. Pretty good deal in my opinion.
naushikaa
So to clarify, Rnrchres, you pay tuition fees because of your location, or because it's a masters course you're doing?

I'm looking at doing either a masters in sound engineering (whatever the course might be called in German!) or instrument repair, but I'm yet to find any university in Germany, let alone Berlin that does this.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.