Volume of a Maß before the metric system - Germany

Pre-SI measurements in Bavaria

skint
OK, ridiculous question really. I need the collective neuronal capacity of TT.

Does anyone out there know if the 'mass' volume has always been 1 litre?
Like the traditional British Imperial measurement for a pint is 567 ish mls. In the olden days for Bayern, did they have their own weights and measurements system and where can I find it?

I can't imagine the mass equalling exactly 1 litre. Or does mass describe the generally large volume, and it could be simply ascribed to any big beer?

What was it's original volume in mls. We won't rest here in work till its solved.

Skint
BadDoggie
You asked.

It's hard to say because I'm not positive Bavaria used the Prussian system, though it's probable they did. The fuder was the basis of the Prussian units of liquid capacity. A fuder is a cartload and the traditional German one held about 9 hectoliters, about the size of the British tun or the French wine tonneau. The modern German wine-country (Mosel area) "fuder" is 10 hectoliters.

That would be a lot of beer. But just as we have smaller liquid measures than the wey or last, so too did the Germans: 1 Fuder = 6 Oxhoft = 12 Ohm = 12 Eimer = 24 Anker = 720 Quart.

An old Prussian quart would therefore be about 1.25 liters, so a Maß probably held one half quart, a drinkable and not excessive quantity.

Except that it didn't.

Beer had it's own measures: The largest beer unit was a "Tonne", 114.5 litres (about 30 US gal.). We could could stop here and break off into a very interesting scientific/linguistic discussion but I'll leave that for the thread hijackers.

1 Tonne = 4 Viertel = 64 Stübchen = 128 Kannen

So an old Maß was most likely about 0,89 litres, which is, incidentally, about how much beer they actually pour into those litre Maß glasses at the Wiesen. The Finanzamt knows it and normally taxes the Wirten for 210 glasses per 200-litre barrel (or equivalent in tank delivery).

woof.
brokenm
I don't know anything apart from googling concerning this question, but a resource I found on the internet lists this, Here is the link

Beer and alcohol made a large part of the trade. In careful guarded privileges only a select few could brew and sell it.

Bier (beer) 1 Tonne = 100 Stof 114.5 liters

Brandwein 1 Ohm = 120 Quart 137.4 liters

= 120 Stof

1 Quart = 1.145 liter

So a maß may between what BadDoggie wrote or 1 stof 1.145 liters

But another source states (with no reason) the Bavarian Maß was:
maß (mass)
a unit of volume for beer in Germany and Austria, usually equal to one liter today. The traditional Bavarina maß was about 1.07 liters.

But the last and maybe the most authoriative source states:
Maß, Maaß, Maas 4 Pintgen
1 1/7 l (1,13 liters)
1,5 l
1,783 l (Rheinland)

and a seidl, which is the term in Franken (Northern bavaria) for a half maß was Seidel 0,535 l (Bayern), which double is 1,07
BadDoggie
Except the Stof was 1,145 litres in Preußen but only 0,267 litres in Bayern. I found a specific fluid volume Maß measure that shows about 1.17 litres (Bavaria) which is also in the acceptable +/-10% range since the glasses/mugs/steins seem to be about a constant size.

woof.
skint
I'm truly indebted. I'm impressed BadDoggie & brokenm.

I thought a definitive volume would be hard to come by, but from what you guys have found 0.89-1.145 litres, this region would be a realistic volume with give or take.

Probably way back in 1345 the volume of your mass bier was dependent on the size of your krug and the generosity of the pourer.

But it seems that the mass wasn't a term of reference to a certain volume of liquid then. Just refered to a litre-ish beer. I'll be able to talk at length now down the Augustina with my old German volume measures... I'll be the guy sat on me own then

Ta,
Skint.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.