Do Ibuprofen painkillers turn your brain to mush?

No drive to do anything while on painkillers

Pages: 1 2 3 4

mlovett
I'm totally relaxed when I smoke a bong, but I'm also happy. This relaxed but not happy sucks.
Your body needs to heal. Let the doctors do their work... I was anti pain killers, like you, until I had abdominal surgery! Tell them to give you some Ibuprofen + Vicodin, if that will make you happier.

Now go back to sleep!
MadAxeMurderer
Morphine, give me fucking morphine.

I had it once and will never forget the experience. I don't care if it rots your liver, makes you impotent, and shrivels your scrotum. It is simply the best drug.

Seriously thank God I can't get it. So what's Vicodin?
I've just injected that Heparin again. The injection site is still throbbing.
mlovett
Hydromorphone is even better, LOL.

Not sure the mode of action of Vicodin, but it's probably the most prescribed pain killer in the States. That means it's probably verboten in Germany. It will make you loopy, and just want to sleep.

If you are still in a lot of pain, you should still take the drugs, BUT, you can always back off on the dose if you don't feel you need it. I always stop taking Vicodin way before I am supposed to, and consequently have a stockpile of it. I was skiing 6 weeks after that surgery -- doc told me I was off my rocker.

Sorry about the injections... I hope you get better soon! Injuries are depressing -- can you get outside for some walks? Nature is very therapeutic, and the bitter cold in Germany may help numb the pain!
Erised
Seriously....... are you kidding? You had surgery. The pain is not there to prevent you from injuring yourself, you already did that with the surgery and the pain is the consequence. Second, that happy sleep medicine they gave you stays in your body for weeks and makes you lethargic. You are not going to feel right for a while. Sleep and do what your doctor tells you. Avoiding a regular dosage of pain medication at this stage just because you are feeling better, is just begging for break-thru pain. Trust me, you do not want that to happen. Plus, Ibuprofen reduces swelling, which naturally occurs after surgery. No need to feel macho here.... take it easy! I am sure your doctors will not let you get addicted and will also tell you when you can do more.
Kanadisch
@ Kanadisch - you can't (generally) get anything medical off the shelf in Germany. Pharmacists have a strong lobby.
Yes, this I know, and was refering to that fact. I find it ridiculous.
MadAxeMurderer
Cool it, I reduced from 3 to 2 with my doctor's agreement. Then didn't take the nightly one, and had a terrible night's sleep, and told the doctor. She said if I wanted to reduce to 1 then take it at night only. I didn't fancy that as I used to look forward to my morning dose.

Two weeks later I decided I was ready to forgo the morning pain killer, and was surprised my new found desire to spend all day writing shit on TT.

The Heparin injection only throbbed for 3 minutes. I inject very slowly, unlike nurses who are on a schedule, an don't care about my pain.
sarabyrd
I already knew that nicotine inhibited bone regeneration so have been completely off recreational drugs (except alcohol) since the accident. The good doctors agreed with me that nicotine was bad.
Believe me, snookums, you really don't want to indulge in alcohol along with ibuprofen or any other OTC painkillers. Ditch them. Now.
MadAxeMurderer
Well I'd rather believe the doctors who told me that alcohol is not a problem, but nicotine is.

And I'm Irish, I couldn't bury my father without getting pissed. First time I saw my sister drunk too.
katieliz
Ibuprofen is non-narcotic. I have only taken it a few times but it gives me a terrible stomach ache that last for hours, so I don't take it anymore. It is dangerous to take acetominophin (tylenol) while drinking alcohol and/or over long periods of time. It can cause liver failure. But I think the lethargy might be as much from this crappy gray depressing weather more than anything; although the OP is recovering from a pretty major surgery on top of it. I know I've been feeling really lazy and blue even though physically I'm fine. Can't wait for spring!
eurovol
Are you still on heparin? Then hands off ibuprofen, aspirin etc. Didn't the doc tell you about their anti-coagulant side effects?
There is no problem as long as the doc knows what you are taking. They can then adjust the dosing regimen.

While that is obviously true to a certain extent, ignoring medical science in favor of intuition is a terrible idea. Pain management is probably one the most important and, sadly, overlooked aspects of medical science.
Pain management has little to do with healing unless you are totally broken and likely to hurt yourself further by moving around due to the pain. Pain management actually refers mostly to those that are dieing.

Yea, agreed with Kanadisch - you'd already decided that painkillers are bad before even looking at any evidence, not the most scientific way.

Oh yea, I doubt you need to worry about any interactions with the homeopathic medicines.
Again, painkillers aren't prescribed to help you heal, but to make you feel more comfortable. Of all the interactions, I would be most worried about the ones with untested homeopathic crap!

@ Kanadisch - you can't (generally) get anything medical off the shelf in Germany. Pharmacists have a strong lobby.
No, it is the culture that says only trained people with some schein can give you something that the rest of the world pops like candy. This aspect that you have to have permission to do anything is driving me bonkers! I went to the pharmacist looking for the equivalent to Tums and got the third degree about what I wanted it for. My indignant answer was to give me the damn things or I was going to go home and suck down a tablespoon of baking soda. After taking the lame ass stuff they gave me, I realized that the awful tasting baking soda would have done the job better and cheaper.

Lethargy after an operation is usually caused by the anesthetic - the effects can last for weeks.
Morphine and sodium pentathol yes (days not weeks), but the new fangled stuff wears off in hours.

Tested & quality controlled Pain killers are bad but bought from some stranger in the street THC is good?
Hey, it is the one homeopathic drug known to have effects beyond the placebo. Don't knock it until you have tried it!

Morphine, give me fucking morphine.
Morphine? BAH! Go with liquid valium! Now that is the ticket. Whatever pain you got, you won't care! Hell, you won't care about anything.

MAM, while you are shooting yourself up with heparin I hope you are getting regular PT/PTT tests done. And I am amazed that they are having you shoot yourself up in the first place. There are better ways to take anti-coags with a lot less risks and you really shouldn't be waking up with bruises and bleeding. Use the German toilets to make sure you don't have black tarry looking stools or funky pinkish colored pee.
Katrina
So what's Vicodin?
Ask this bloke, he'd know.
Attached image
eurovol
Or this guy!

Attached image
MadAxeMurderer
MAM, while you are shooting yourself up with heparin I hope you are getting regular PT/PTT tests done. And I am amazed that they are having you shoot yourself up in the first place. There are better ways to take anti-coags with a lot less risks and you really shouldn't be waking up with bruises and bleeding. Use the German toilets to make sure you don't have black tarry looking stools or funky pinkish colored pee.
Because I was told to by the nice docs for as long as I'm putting partial load on my operated leg. I'll see the surgeon on Friday and hopefully get clearance to start increasing the load. And that will allow me to stop taking anti-coagulants. The fact that Sarabyrd nearly expired due to a lung embolism while her leg was immobilised suggests somebody might have a point.

I shall however carefully examine my stools from now one for coagulated blood. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I only once woke up with bleeding, and we're talking about 5mm diameter bruises around 2 or 3 injection sites, especially when I had about 5 injection points within a 10mm radius.

And why am I not surprised that Katrina has the hots for Dr House?
sarabyrd
The fact that you are bleeding from heparin injections proves that your coagulation has been slowed down. Give yourself light massages around the puncture holes to disperse that blood (or pretend someone else is giving them to you).

Any doctor not warning about drinking alcohol during the long-term (i.e. more than one week) use of ibuprofen and its cronies is negligent, IMO.

P.S. While I would gladly go out on the piss with Dr. House I was kissing Dr. Wilson in my dream. He has a weird mouth but knows how to use it.
YouStayClassySD
To the OP: go ahead and take your ibuprofen. It helps with the swelling AND the pain, as has already been said, much more than aspirin and acetomenophen. That will help you heal. If you're feeling better, you can try to ease up on the dose if you want. And you really should go easy on the alcohol. It worsens any side effects that do appear. Honestly, if you're feeling less than alright, we may have found the reason.

As far as side effects, sure it has them (all drugs do), but aspirin is more likely to put holes in the stomach and is a far stronger anti-coagulant than ibu. The incidence of stomach bleeding increases with alcohol use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-9368-IBUPROFEN+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=5166&drugname=Ibuprofen+Oral&source=2
http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html

Yay! Research!

p.s. I wouldn't take acetaminophen/paracetamol instead, if only because it's interactions with alcohol are worse. It's also a lousy anti-inflammatory, so it's not so good at keeping swelling down, which won't really be much help to you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.