Doctor invoice received 3 years after treatment - Germany

Is this claim valid?

Agnes
Just received an invoice this week for a doctors visit we made mid 2007. At the time we saw a series of doctors - this was just one of a chain so I had actually forgotten about this. The doctor was extremely unhelpful. The visit consisted of a consultation and lots of form filling by us. Result : a bill for 440 Euros 3 years late. Can a doctor issue a bill so late. Are there no regulations with regard to the issuing of invoices? My husband is freelance and I know that he has to issue invoices in the same quarter the service is provided ... Any advice?
HellesAngel
I assume you have health insurance, so I'd phone them and ask if they'd pay it and what they'd advise you to do. I believe for other bills there's a six month limit although if the guy was helpful I tend to pay regardless, bills from unhelpful people get different treatment altogether .
sarabyrd
The general statute of limitation is three years after the claim was generated, beginning at midnight of 31 December of that year. I do not know if there are any special regulations for doctor's fees. As HA said, ask your insurance, or the Ă„rztekammer for your region.
Agnes
I do of course have health insurance and everything else regarding this claim is done and dusted 3 years ago. Generally my insurance will only pay up to 6 months after a treatment. In the past I have tried to submit claims for up to 12 months previously and they were refused. I just need to know the legal position. I would like to contest the invoice but don't know if I have a case?
sarabyrd
In that case, you should ask a lawyer, or - as above - the Ă„rztekammer for Munich.
Agnes
Thanks Sarabyrd - will try that.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.