What's the Blood Alcohol Content limit in Germany?

Traffic Ticket

Pages: 1 2

Ancioi
Hello Toytown-ers. I was driving home from hanging out with Chat_noir, tsinkoy and some others last night, and was pulled over by the police a couple of miles from my home. They administered an alcohol test on me, and it showed 0.35 mg/l. I know that the legal limit is 0.5 mg/l, however, they said that the text only shows half of what the value is.
They're sending me the ticket in 3-4 weeks, and I think I have to pay a fine of 500 euros.
Is this even legal? I got a 0.35 on the test, not 0.7 as they say!
What can I do?
Thanks in advance!
bal00
Blood alcohol content and breath alcohol content are two different things. The legal limit for the breath alcohol content is 0.25 mg/l, which translates to a blood alcohol level of 0.05%. So yeah, your blood alcohol content was 0.7 ‰.
Bipa
Your choice is to either pay the fine and take the punishment, or else hire a lawyer and contest it. Be glad you didn't get in a car accident, since German insurance companies won't cover you if your blood level is over 0.3!

Take the guesswork out of driving. If you have a drink, don't drive.
rhody
Did they use the word Promille? If they said 0.7 Promille then you will get 500 euros, 4 points and 1 month suspension.
MrNosey
They administered an alcohol test on me, and it showed 0.35 mg/l. I know that the legal limit is 0.5 mg/l, however, they said that the text only shows half of what the value is.
They're sending me the ticket in 3-4 weeks, and I think I have to pay a fine of 500 euros.
In Germany, the legal BrAC limit (breath) is 0.25 mg/L (not 0.5 mg/L) and BAC limit (blood) is 0.5 mg/g. If they breath-tested you at 0.35 mg/L this is approx equivalent to 0.7 mg/g blood by way of comparison, which is what they were probably trying to explain. Anyway, according to the breath test, you were over the legal limit.
What makes no sense whatsoever is that you implied they let you continue driving or did your passenger have to drive the rest of the journey?
NoBullJim
What happened that made them pull you over? Was it just a random check?
nina_glyndwr
I was in Die Brücke - a building in D'dorf, in the Altstadt - yesterday. And I noticed that on the ground floor, right next to the machines where you pay for your time in the multi-storey car park, they have a 'test your breath' machine. For one euro, you can breathe down a tube and see if you should leave the car and take the taxi home. Interesting, I've never seen one of those things before.
olyas
@nina glyndwr, in Australia you can get a self test breath test they are pretty cheap at home around $30 - 50 Australian Dollars (approx 50 Euro) but i am not sure how accurate they are.
Although in many clubs in Australia, there is a breatherliser inside the club (also not sure how accurate they are)

Ancioi, I am sorry you got booked!
SpiderPig
I am sure the OP is happy that They didnt kill someone....

If you think you need to take the test... then leave the car where it is!
Steve Shadforth
What can I do? What can you do?

Not drink and drive.

Simple.
Ancioi
Thanks for your answers. No I have clear the difference between BrAC and BAC. It was a random check.
kato
in Australia you can get a self test breath test they are pretty cheap at home around $30 - 50 Australian Dollars (approx 50 Euro) but i am not sure how accurate they are.
50 Euro? You can almost buy a full fledged breathalizer for that (cheap ones iirc sometimes start at 69 or 79 Euro). The stuff the police runs around with are usually systems in the 150-200 Euro retail range btw.

For one-off use, there are disposable breath tests running around 1-2 Euro, and reusable small systems for around 5-10 Euro. No exact result, just showing whether you're above the limit. Can be found for sale here and there sometimes, some office supply catalogues even offer them in their Werbegeschenke section.
zanb
Ihave got absolutely no sympathy for you. If you want to drink don't drive, or get the wife to drive thats what I do. She's very good that way.
olyas
@kato, i think as a % of income 10 euro is about $30 AUD. It is 2 adult tickets to the movies but not on cheap ass tuesday
MrNosey
Thanks for your answers. No I have clear the difference between BrAC and BAC. It was a random check.
But they let you continue on your journey (driving)?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.