How to obtain a German social security number

Is it the same as your tax ID number?

Rose-Helen
Hello to all -

I am new to germany and have already registered as living in Munich and also received a tax ID number, but am I also supposed to obtain a social security number and if so how do I do this? I start my new job this Monday and in some of the paperwork it wanted to know my social number. I have a U.S. as well as a EU (Italian) citizenship...not sure if this makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced ; )

Rose-Helen
rhody
What's the German word for the number they are asking for? There isn't a social security number per se that is used a general ID number but there are various numbers used for different purposes.
RainKing
You have to join a health insurer. Once you start work, they will send this number to your employer after a few weeks.
Rose-Helen
Thanks Rhody and RainKing for the replys-

To Rhody: The word is "Personalnummer" and I was told that this is the social security number....?

To RainKing: So since I will be working full time, I am guaranteed health issuance, correct? And if like you said the insurance will send the number to the employer, then I guess I don't need it for the start of the job, correct?
miwild
... The word is "Personalnummer" and I was told that this is the social security number ...
It´s Sozialversicherungsnummer ...
RainKing
To RainKing: So since I will be working full time, I am guaranteed health issuance, correct? And if like you said the insurance will send the number to the employer, then I guess I don't need it for the start of the job, correct?
Yes to all, but you have to choose and join the health insurance company yourself e.g. TKK etc.
estam
It's called Sozialversicherungsnummer and I think these are administered by the Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund (http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung-bund.de/).
Rose-Helen
Thank -you to all : )

To RainKing: How long do I have to choose my health care provider? Is this something I do within the first week on the job? Not sure if you might be able to give me possibly a list of "popular" or "highly recommended" providers? You mentioned TKK? Like for example back in the U.S., Kaiser Permanente was one of the biggest providers (as well as my provider). Blue Shield was another big one. So any I should know for Germany - and here in Munich in particular?

Thanks!!!
YorkshireLad6
Did you read the Health Insurance Wiki?
Rose-Helen
No YorkshireLad6 - but I will do so now. Thanks : )
RainKing
Thank -you to all : )

To RainKing: How long do I have to choose my health care provider? Is this something I do within the first week on the job? Not sure if you might be able to give me possibly a list of "popular" or "highly recommended" providers? You mentioned TKK?
You can join a health insurer even before you start work, and you should certainly do it within the first week or so as you do not want to be without cover. It's easy enough to do - you can just fill in the forms on their website. I think there are discussions on Toytown about the various pros and cons. Personally I joined TKK because some bloke said they were good and I never thought about it again. But if your income is above a certain level or you are a single or young then private may be a good option etc. etc. Lots of fun research for you.
Rose-Helen
Thanks RainKing. Yes, I looked up this TKK and I read about it and supposedly it has been voted number one health care provider for quite some time...so maybe I will just choose this one. I am single and 28 years old ( don't think that is really considered young though), so you said maybe private...? Well I will look into it. Thanks again!
expatsayswhat
If you have come here straight from the US, and had US health insurance up until then, I would suggest you check with one of the brokers on here before you start banging your head against the wall trying to deal with the insurance companies. The law is very confusing due to our lack of a public health system in the US. Now if you have been living in Italy you can ignore this :-)
Rose-Helen
Thanks for the tip expatsaywhat. I'll look into it : )
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.