English Speaking Jobs In Frankfurt

I am looking for an English speaking job

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Conquistador
Any idea if Spanish will be helpful for me there?
Not in social services. Maybe in a call center environment (not sure if there would be anything like that around Frankfurt). Perhaps also in sales for a company that exports internationally, although you probably wouldn't be considered for something like that without relevant business experience.
swimmer
Maybe in a call center environment (not sure if there would be anything like that around Frankfurt).
Perhaps the occasional airport / airline op given the proximity to FIA? But again, only if no EU national can do the job (which is probably likely to be the case given the high immigrant numbers here). I know some companies sometimes need Spanish speakers but it is very ad-hoc and they only get the work because they bring a specific skill on top.

EDIT - Afrer conquistador (below) - yup, I just came back to say...and German on top of course! You are right too, lots of native Spanish speakers (and Portuguese) round here.
Conquistador
Good suggestion, swimmer, and maybe that's a possibility, although I once knew someone (a multilingual Brazilian woman) who did that sort of thing, and German was also required. There are quite a few people who speak German, English and Spanish in the Frankfurt area.

Swimmer is correct as well (in my experience) in saying that you still have to be qualified for the job in addition to speaking Spanish.
sjj158
Thanks for the information! I am not very familiar with how things work there and am just learning as I read more posts on here. I understand now that I would have to have skills that a German does not have in order to be chosen for a job first and that a lot of jobs will require specific skill sets. I see that it's much more difficult than finding work here in the US. Funny how most of my job experiences, including being a cop and social services all came together to get my current position. I guess I can't expect that to happen for me everywhere. I have a fantastic job but like a lot of stories I read on here I am moving for love. I don't have high expectations of finding work within my field so I am prepared to work any job that will pay a decent salary. From reading several posts about teaching English I see that would not be the best option.

Thanks for the info on speaking Spanish as well. I am hoping to find some Spanish speaking groups to be able to be a part of because it's not likely that I'll be able to call my family in Mexico every day and I will start to miss speaking the language.

Thanks again for all the info!

Stephanie
mitch.barker
Hi everyone,
I´m in the same position as a lot of people it seems here - came here for love, and looking for work.

We're staying in Wiesbaden, but I've asked in the irish pubs, looked into the army base website (but there seems not too much for non-us citizens) and tried spülen /reinigung/ergan was jobs around Wiesbaden, but no-one wants to take me on.
So I'm starting to look further out, and it seems Frankfurt would be easier (being a bigger city) but I

I´m 22, Australian, with a Bachelor in Architecture, but very poor German skills to find work in this area.
I have worked in Backstage, Theater, and random factory jobs.

I think I'm looking in the wrong places and need to use my skills more. Does anyone know of factory-type work in this area that doesn't require much knowledge of German?

Any advice at the moment would be great, cos I'm really running out of ideas.

Mitch
anne0619
Try the English Theatre in Frankfurt if you want to make use of your backstage or theater experiences.
swimmer
Any advice at the moment would be great, cos I'm really running out of ideas.
Go to German school. That has to be your top priority. Find an intensive course. It does not take much. The unemployed people I did one with were in commodity work within several months (shops, food outlets etc). All of them - no exception, right through to war refugees with limited education. We see each other round town now and everyone's busy getting on with stable integrated lives, working, settling down, building families etc. But with no German, a lot of immigrants were nowhere. Just like you.

Some of my clients have factories and, guess what? As they are in Germany, they run entirely in German and so employ German speakers! Furthermore, a lot are science / technical / engineering concerns, it's not unskilled labour that anyone can just pitch up and do when it suits them - you need a scientific or engineering education. On top of that, a lot are hardly in a position to recruit in the current economic climate (read the press - the opposite is happening). Warehouses might be a slightly different proposition.

The cafes round here tend to be staffed mainly by immigrants.....but they all have to speak decent German of course.

There are lots of architecture graduates in this area. Not only Germans but a lot of highly-educated bilingual East Europeans too. They can also find work.....but often not in their field. Even a lot of German graduates are struggling right now.

You don't mention a work permit / visa status by the way.
roby
Hi everybody! As many others on this site, I will come in 2-3 months to Frankfurt. I'm 25 and I'm coming from Romania, not far away. I'm an Environmental Engineer and I speak English fluently and also Italian. I've been working so far in an Oil&Gas company, which provides fully environmental services in this area. I have only one year of experience, but I know pretty much about this industry. I've searched on the German websites for a similar job, but without knowing the German language, I have zero chances.

From your point of view, which are my chances to find a job like this, taking all the above into account?

Roberta
a.martinez
hi,
im also moving to frankfurt in the next month, im from australia and im moving with my partner who is german! im a qualifed chef and just want to kno if it will be hard to find a job as a chef and do they speak english in the kitchens? i am slowly learning german. If anyone can give me some advice will most grateful!
virginiahei
Which are the best agencies to go to and which websites should one check?
engelchen
For what type of work are you looking?

If you don't already have unrestricted access to the German labour market (Beschäftigung erlaubt/Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet), agencies are pretty much out.
virginiahei
I am not sure what you mean by restricted access to the labour market? I have an EU passport. I am looking for a job in Frankfurt - what I have in mind is an international representative job which would allow me to use my working experience, education (textile orientated) and language skills (although I do not speak German - but I am planning on doing the integration course in October, up to level A2). I know for example Adecco/Italy and Switzerland is very good (a knowledgeable person interviews you, they phone you with suitable offers, they keep your CV on their books) and that is why I would really like to know which agencies people have found helpful in Frankfurt? or which websites have genuine job offers which are good.
engelchen
I am not sure what you mean by restricted access to the labour market? I have an EU passport.
Your profile says South African and if you didn't also have an EU passport it would have been a problem to work throgh an agency.

I know for example Adecco/Italy and Switzerland is very good (a knowledgeable person interviews you, they phone you with suitable offers, they keep your CV on their books) and that is why I would really like to know which agencies people have found helpful in Frankfurt? or which websites have genuine job offers which are good.
Having lived in both Switzerland and Germany, I have the impression that there are fewer positions that do not require German in Germany than in Switzerland. I don't recall anyone mentioning any particular agencies for professional positions, but I know LeonG has mentioned having success with Manpower.
virginiahei
ok thank you
mbowyer
Go to German school. That has to be your top priority. Find an intensive course. It does not take much.
^^ Best advice ever! www.vhs.frankfurt.de

Learn some German! Its extremely difficult to move to a foreign country with next to no language skills, and expect to flex your degree in whatever, leapfrog all the locals, to get some big bucks job in a hurry. It ain't going to happen. Or if it does, you're extremely lucky.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.