Traditional German Christmas Eve Dinner

What are your suggestions or experience?

brionybird
We have friends visiting us for Christmas, and though we're going to recreate some of our own Xmas dinner customs for sentimentality's sake, we'd also like to incorporate some traditional German food into our meal.

I've already baked some Vanilla Kipferl and other traditional biscuits, so I'm looking for 'main meal' and dessert suggestions.

So far I've come up with roast goose or suckling pig (not going to happen...don't really have the capacity to roast a whole pig, and a baby to boot) and side dishes of roasted Weiss wurst or Bratwurst and Macaroni Salad (which seems weirdly "Australian Summer Xmas" to me). I am googling for info, but a lot of TTers have been here for a long time and might have a more experience based version of what's traditional.

frohe Weihnachten!
questioning
I've been told, roast goose with red cabbage and bread/potato dumplings.
nyc.matt
German Potato salad and Franks is another traditional Christmas dish.

"Raclette" has become quite popular too and is really fun

[url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Raclette_with_all_the_trimmings.jpg[/url]
bavariablu
OH god....dont Roast weisse wurst!
westvan
Christmas Eve - Bockwurst and potato salad, raclette, fondue, fish
Christmas Day - roast goose or turkey, potato dumplings, red cabbage
gidget_in_hamburg
I agree with Westvan.

Always have dinner at partner's parents place so it's quite traditional and heaps of fun

We have Fondue (both meat and veggies) on the 24th before opening the presents.
Then a stinking huge Goose on the 25th w the cabbage and dumplings. Partner's parents were kind enough to add brussel sprouts for me (I was politely asking for some vegetables!)

Last year was the first time I had Goose (previously I was vegetarian but fell off the wagon last year) and it will be the last. Combined with the rich dumplings and red cabbage I nearly ate my weight in the brussel sprouts to try and balance out the meat/rich food : veggies/simple food ratio. Goose is very fatty and rich. I was really quite ill after. Though the sparkling wine all evening probably didn't help!

Edited a bit of my original post. super tired this morning!
bluebell16
My family is the opposite of what westvan mentioned.
My mom's Christmas eve dinner always consists of duck, red cabbage, Spätzle and Rouladen.
Then, on the 25th, we just snack on fruit, cheese, veggies, etc.
westvan
It depends. Some families do a big dinner in Christmas Eve, others on Christmas Day. Probably depends who's going to be there.
Rimini
I agree that Raclette or Fondue make for a fun alternative. But beware, your home will smell like a cheap bratwurst stand and you'll have to slice some veggies and other ingredients beforehand.

Whether you want to have the big feast on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, you can serve potato salad and sausages on the other day.

Red cabbage is a great traditional , easy to make side-dish that will create Christmas feeling even if it's served with other things, like chicken breast and mashed potato or such things. Dumplings take some work, so don't attempt those if you're strapped for time and attention with a baby.

Glühwein, of course, is easy to make and comes in alcohol-free varieties for those not wishing to partake.

Dessert-wise... My family doesn't do desserts on Christmas. We just have Lebkuchen and Plätzchen and chocolate from everyone's Weihtnachtsteller, a Christmas-y paperplate with seasonal sweets, oranges, apples and nuts.

A fruit salad might make people happy, considering they've been eating cookies and chocolate every day for a month now.

Have a nice Christmas!
brionybird
OH god....dont Roast weisse wurst!
Ha ha, I thought exactly the same thing!

Christmas Eve - Bockwurst and potato salad, raclette, fondue, fish
Christmas Day - roast goose or turkey, potato dumplings, red cabbage
Red cabbage is a great traditional , easy to make side-dish that will create Christmas feeling even if it's served with other things, like chicken breast and mashed potato or such things
Thanks Westvan and Rimini - great simple suggestions. We ended up having fish with side dishes of sauteed red cabbage/speck and bratkartoffeln (not exactly 'special' but German and easier than dumplings) on Xmas eve and made gluhwein on Xmas day to drink with a roast.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, and happy new year to you all.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.