Using an international driving license in Germany

Advice on the validity and expiry rules etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

stevenooch
Is my international driving license still valid if after six month of driving in Germany?
Krieg
After the 6 months you can extend your license for another 6 months ONLY if you will leave Germany after that. AFAIK.
leeza
Once more, with feeling...

The International Driving License is NOT a license to operate a motor vehicle. It is merely a translation of your valid driver's license from your home country.

What Krieg says above is correct. However, it applies to your home country driver's license. It has nothing to do with the International Driving License. That damned thing is so badly misnamed and causes tons of confusion - it is NOT a driver's license!

Edit: I can't actually tell if the OP is referring to THE International Driving License, or just his "not-German" driver's license. In any case, I will leave this post in case it is relevant.
Owain Glyndwr
Leeza, it is not actually called an international driving licence but an international driving permit.

IDPs have no basis in German law, actually, since Germany is not a a signatory to the 1949 Geneva convention on road traffic. Your national driver's licence always has to be valid, in any case. As long as your main residence is registered in Germany, simply leaving the country and re-entering will not lengthen the validity of your licence.
Krieg
IDPs have no basis in German law, actually, since Germany is not a a signatory to the 1949 Geneva convention on road traffic. Your national driver's licence always has to be valid, in any case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_driving_permit

Germany is not part of the 1949 Convention but still recognizes the IDPs. See the graphic there? I am from a country that, like Germany, is not part of the 1949 Convention, however I drove with an IDP from my home country here several times and did not have any problem. I was stopped twice by the Police, they controlled it, confirmed something over the radio (drug dealer, LOL), and let me go, once I had to pay a fine for something I did wrong.

But you do not need the IDP, your normal license is OK. The IDP only makes things easier and faster because it is translated to multiple languages.
BonnBonn
Leeza, it is not actually called an international driving licence but an international driving permit.

IDPs have no basis in German law, actually, since Germany is not a a signatory to the 1949 Geneva convention on road traffic.
But they are honored here.
gidget_in_hamburg
just looking at my IDP (yes I am bored)

I'm from Australia and for Germany it states that the Australian IDP is "Strongly Recommended".

It also states that the "permit is valid for 12 months. however, the country in which the holder is driving may limit the period during which the IDP is recognised"

Using moi as a case example: I could use my IDP with my valid Australian driving licence for the first 6 months I was here, after that I was then considered a resident and had to convert my Australian licence to a German one if I wanted to continue driving. Which I haven't done as it cost a feck load of money and time! As my IDP is still valid, once I jump over the border to Poland, France etc I can drive as I am not a resident there (just need to get to the border!).

But that's for an Aussie - check with the specific rules for your home country!
Owain Glyndwr
But they are honored here.
only as an alternative to a translation of your national driving licence. You don't need an IDP if you have a translation, or if your licence is from the EU or written in German. There are also a hand full of states outside the EU whose licences don't require a translation or an IDP (including New Zealand and Hong Kong).
Krieg
Which I haven't done as it cost a feck load of money and time!
I think it is like 50 EUR and half an hour of your time. The waiting time is another thing.

only as an alternative to a translation of your national driving licence. You don't need an IDP if you have a translation, or if your licence is from the EU or written in German.
Wrong again. It is only accepted as a translation of you real diving license, just like in ANY other country that accepts IDPs. And you do not need any translation, your normal license is valid.
BonnBonn
I see, thanks for the edit. At first I couldn't understand what you were saying!
Owain Glyndwr
ermm I'm not wrong. I stated that the IDF is accepted as a translation of your national drives permit but you don't actually need an IDP if you have a translation into German or have an EU licence (plus a few other countries).

Please explain exactly how that is wrong?
Krieg
You do not need a translation. Just your license is OK.
Owain Glyndwr
yes you do, Krieg, if your licence is not in German, or is not from the EU or a few other states and you don't have an IDP. The point is, in some countries you MUST have an IDP with a foreign licence. In German you CAN have an IDP but you don't have to if you have a translation.
Krieg
No, you do not need a translation.

The translation is only needed when you want to convert your license into a German one, and I think (I am not really sure) that only the ADAC is allowed to do the translation. But for normal driving you do not need any translation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.