Craigslist Germany websites

U.S.-based worldwide classified ads site

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Levon
Hello,

in San Francisco, craigslist.org is a great community site in the manner of the old BBS sites.

For those of you that don't remember - before the Internet, computer users in the 70's (called hobbyists then because there was no such thing as a personal computer) used their 300 baud Hayes modems to connect to each other via a server that simply linked everyone together much like a bulletin board in a grocery store. This is where the BBS or Bulleting Board Service name came from.

Toytown and other sites are the modern-day version of this. The internet has commercialized the real spirit of the BBS world with Ebay, Match.com, etc, however, Craigslist allows people to connect to each other for jobs, housing, cars, and whatever for FREE. It also provides chat forums, discussion platforms and the blog-style environment. The most important aspect of it is that it brings this communications medium BACK to the COMMUNITY where it belongs, not in the boardroom.

There is a Craigslist in Berlin (berlin.craigslist.org ), but not in Munich. I would like to bring it here to Munich.

Check it out and let me know what 'yall think!

Levon
Showem
I think it's a good idea, but will it support English and German or only one of those languages? If it's only English, there's plenty here on Toytown already. But if you get a lot of Germans involved, I think it's a good idea.
interplanetjanet
Craigslist doesn't stand a chance to Toytown. I frequent the SF craigslist, but personally I think Toytown's format is waaaaay better - especially better than craigslist's forum section.

@showem - craigslist is in English, even the international sites.
jeremy
Just went there. Not imprressed. Bye bye Craigslist.
eurovol
before the Internet, computer users in the 70's used their 300 baud Hayes modems to connect to each other via a server that simply linked everyone together much like a bulletin board in a grocery store. This is where the BBS or Bulleting Board Service name came from.
That is kind of funny since the first public BBS came out in 1979. Just a toe in the 70's and not many were using it outside of ARPnet (restricted use) users that wanted to post things on communications and computers.

Why does this sound like a "sales pitch"?
gideon
The most important aspect of it is that it brings this communications medium BACK to the COMMUNITY where it belongs, not in the boardroom.
oh yes i remember when i visited editor bob to present the logo, i was picked up in a stetch limo, and then lead to a top floor penthouse office when bob sat in his handmade italian suit surronded by hot shot finance and mba types all constantly talking into their bluetooth headsets...

this guy realy knows whats going on in Toytown.
randy
I like craigslist ok, but it would be far cooler if an ascii starship enterprise whizzed by at 300 baud like in the old days. I especially like that Google Maps + Craiglist housing interface - if you could adopt it, for say, ingredients in Germany - I'll visit your site every weekend.
Levon
Yes - This says a lot about the site
jeremy
WHAT says a lot about the site?
Winegirl
I used craig's list a ton when I lived north of SF, but it's a totally different kind of format. TT is WAY better.
Owain Glyndwr
just looked at craigslist myself. not impressed. It won't catch on here.
interplanetjanet
@Levon

Don't take all these comments personally. They just reflect the fact that people here love their TT and aren't likely to switch over. Toytown already has the English speaking market here, and unless craigslist is ready to make some HUGE changes, they couldn't even get a toe in. Craigslist might make it, though, in a German language version.
Memo
Yes - This says a lot about the site
Meaning?
benpanter
I guess it means he was upset when he came to a very successful, free and busy site asking for people to join and supply content for *his* new site and we said, "sorry, no, quite happy here thanks"
gideon
the guy only joined today, so his idea of the relevance of the word "community" within the context of Toytown cant be that great.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.