Dirndl apron-tying rules - Germany

Knot on the left means available, apparently

Pas
I was out with some German friends on Saturday night and there was a big conversation about how the apron on the dirndl should be tied. It seems there are rules. Left side knot means available, right taken.

They couldn't decide whether there was a male equialent and tied in the middle seemed to not have a rule.

Anybody know anything more about these 'rules'?
Moonboot
doesn't a knot in the middle mean widowed. a knot in the back means something naughty.
HellesAngel
Here's a probably authoritative answer from oktoberfest.de, in German of course.
Owain Glyndwr
doesn't a knot in the middle mean widowed.
i thought it meant she is a virgin?

a knot in the back means something naughty.
or "waitress"
thefirelane
I was always told this:

Left: Single
Right: Married
Center: Virgin

Also that the length of the white slip indicated 'desire for marriage' or something along those lines.
Owain Glyndwr
I was always told this:

Left: Single
Right: married
Center: Virgin

Also that the length of the white slip indicated 'desire for marriage' or something along those lines.
yep and tied at the rear is either widow or waitress (or, in some cases, both)
Pas
Mmm. In a heavily catholic region as we are living shouldn't available and virgin be the same thing?
Moonboot
do men really respect the Schleife-rules though? even those that know about it?
and there are so many foreigners at the fest these days anyway, think they aren't looking at the tied aprons!
here's some info http://mode.bloggertreff.com/trachtenmode/symbolik-der-dirndl-schleife/
Eleanor Rigby
I tie mine in the back because I think it looks best that way.
Pas
Well my freind who's stag night I was on said he used to use it.

And there are plenty of other events besides Oktoberfest where dirndls are used. Could also be a useful bit of info for the locals to give them an advantage in the 'local' market.
Katrina
Once, and it must be said it was towards the very grim end of a relationship, I actually retied my apron during the course of an evening as I was so fed up at my then partner. Yes we split very soon afterwards.
Petty? Yes.
Did it get me more free beer? Oh yes.

Be warned that tying your apron to the right is not necessarily protection from the grabbing hands [s]of Augsburg[/s]. Neither will a (fake) wedding ring.
Take your gent with you, he might get groped instead though.
Moonboot
can't imagine your gent getting groped by mistake, no way that much hair can pass for a lass!
Pas
You're forgetting there are Italians there.
Katrina
True, but by heck, he is the HOTNESS in Lederhosen. I'd grope him. Oh.
And that thought has just made any hope of doing actual work go right out of the window for some time ha ha
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.