Living Quarters Allowances (LQA) - Germany

Eligibility for LQA while employed by US Military

Typically, what are the eligibility requirements to receive a living quarters allowance while working for the US Military (as a US citizen, not a LN)? Are lower class jobs excluded?
Toytown Germany
The Department of State allows you to spend up to 25% of the Living Quarters Allowances (LQA) on renting furniture.

If you're looking to rent, hire, or lease brand new quality furniture in Germany, then try Furniture Leasing Corporation, Germany's leading furniture rental company with representative offices near you.

Rent-to-own program available upon request.

Visit for details and to get a non-binding quote.

Attached image

Basically get hired from the US, check the job listing & it will tell you if relocation allowance is included, I don't think there is a real rule on what jobs receive LQA, but generally the lower graded jobs are filled locally with family members. You can find all of the info here
It seems as though the website you directed me to only provides information for uniformed personnel
As a civilian you need to use all State Dept information for your research, otherwise you will be misinformed. For LQA start looking around here and you will find all the info and rate calculations.
Great, thanks. Since most LQA are mainly reserved for higher level positions, are civilian employees of lower level positions granted stay on the bases or are they basically on their own?
If there is no relocation package I am going to go out on a limb and say your on your own but I am not 100% certain of that. The way it was explained to me ... granting of relocation expenses permits the LQA.
Bier Goggles
Researching information under a Department of State website is probably not the same as what is allowed by the Deptpartment of Defense, assuming you are applying for a DoD level job. GS9 and above or similar NSP are granted LQA. Without LQA, it will come out of pocket. I did see some years ago where an individual who was granted LQA was able to live on post while paying a determined amount for rent. I would not choose that option if it is still available. There are many nice living accomadations off post without the hassle of on post housing. Leky seems to know the "in's" and "out's". I would recommend visiting From there I am sure there is some POC information where you may speak directly with someone who determines eligibility.
Matvei, if you have access to a government computer look for AE 690-500.592 Civilian Personnel Living Quarters Allowance, basically LQA is offered to positions GS-9 (or equivelant) and above with some exceptions such as jobs that are "hard to fill"

There are very few locations that will provide government housing for employees without LQA, the only one I know of is the Edelweiss Lodge in Garmisch, where you will be offered dormitary style housing for a minimal monthly rate.

Anyway, normally if the position states "relocation allowances included" you will get LQA.
Are you talking about per Diem? As a US Army contarctor I recieve Per Diem to cover living expenses here. Got it in Alaska as well working contracts for the Forest Service and BLM. Per Diem rates can be found on the US State Dept page. You can google it.
12 month rule for residence in the USA for LQA purposes. Need some insight. Trying to determine if I will qualify, since I was in Germany on orders less than one year ago.

Anybody have experience with the 12 month rule for LQA? I have read all the docs and regs and it looks fuzzy on an issue that pertains to me.

Some folks tell me the 12 month rule (need to be 12 months in the USA to qualify to LQA does not apply to military, but some folks tell me it does apply. The USAREUR and DoD regs are fuzzy. It looks like it means if you were living there as a GS or contractor or a private sector job. Some say it does not apply to military folks who separate in Germany. Anybody know the real deal on this?

1. I am an Army Reservist: Mobilized out of the states with duty at Stuttgart (EUCOM HQ). Finished the tour in Oct 08.
2. My DD214 says place of entry on active duty was Stuttgart and place of separation was Stuttgart.
3. I left the active duty mobilizaiton tour last October 08. Returned to the USA. Living in the USA now, I applied for the job and got the tentative offer while living and working in the USA.
4. I have a job offer by DA as an NSPS job (GS12 level) with PCS benefits in Stuttgart...just the tentative offer, not the final.
5. The CPAC sent me a document called an "LQA Questionaire" it asks where I physically lived over the past 12 months.
6. I am not a contractor, GS employee, or have ever formally worked or lived in Germany. Just there on a string of Reserve on active duty tours.
7. The LQA info sheets say "physically lived" is the critieria (not necessaryly home of record, or permanent address). I physically lived in Germany as a reservist on a tour within the past 12 months.
8. I was there in Germany living (although as a military guy on orders) Do I qualify for LQA?

Don't want to call the CPAC and ask, the issue will get their attention, and I might say the wrong thing. LQA is not necessarily an entitlement, and rumors are flying that they will nix it if they can, or at least make it an issue during salary negotiations.
I do not think your time as a reservist will count as "living" in Germany as you were on orders at the time, it does not apply to active duty who separate in Germany as long as they don't get residency, I believe there are also other restrictions. The key thing is if you were "ordinarily resident" this is what the CPOL website says:

Ordinarily Resident: A person with ordinarily resident status is a U.S. citizen to whom one of the following applies:

  • Before 1 January 2005, the person obtained a work permit or worked in the local job market without NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) status while residing in the host country.
  • After 1 January 2005, the person obtained a residence permit and engaged in a business activity or was employed in the local job market while residing in the host country. This includes a person who has requested a residence permit for working purposes or to pursue gainful employment.
  • The person resided in the host country for the time shown below without status as a member of the U.S. Forces or civilian component as defined by the NATO SOFA:[list=1]
  • In Belgium: 90 days.
  • In Germany: 1 year.Basically I don't think you would have been offered the job if you were not eligible, just answer all the questions honestly you will be fine.
  • TT Logo
    You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.