Are we entitled to a family allowance? - Germany

Both me and my husband are foreigners

Pages: 1 2

diddlina
Hi!
I come from an EU-state, my husband from outside EU. Only my husband is working. We are going to have a baby in October, but are we entitled to any family allowances as foreigners? I cant get any support from my old home country. German krankenkasse does not apply also because I do not have a job, and I am "only" insured through my husband. I was told that I cant get any money at the time I have to stay at home with the child, and can't study.. Is there any support for parents with small income?
leeza
Every family that is a legal resident, regardless of nationality, receives "Kindergeld". This is currently €164 a month per child.

I think what you are interested in is "Elterngeld", which you can read about in the threads below. To my limited knowledge, you would not be eligible for Elterngeld.

Elterngeld and Kindergeld (various info/advice)
Eligibility for Elterngeld and Kindergeld
diddlina
Thanks leeza for your answer.
I understood differently from the links you provided. As an EU-citizen, even if I have never worked, I should be able to claim Elterngeld 300eur/month? Can somebody tell me otherwise?

Can somebody please provide links/info on Erziehungsgeld? What are the income limits per month/per year for married couple to claim this? I read it is for people such as us, with small income..
miwild
The federal Erziehungsgeld was replaced by the Elterngeld in 2007 ... the states of Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg, Saxony and Thuringia pay a voluntary (reduced) Landeserziehungsgeld though
diddlina
Thanks miwild for your answer. Is there any other form of support for families with low income? We are going to be just above the income limit for kinderzuschlag..
matajari
caritas soup-kitchen? Tafeln? Grandma and Granddaddy? Go to work!
diddlina
Matajari: ''caritas soup-kitchen? Tafeln? Grandma and Granddaddy? Go to work!''

In India where even in better states u make perhaps a 100eur as a teacher /month and as a doctor perhaps 200eur u might live ok. Honey, its Berlin we are talking about here. Germans don't want non-German workers, and as a university graduate I am not going to work at McDonald's. I save those places for people coming from outside EU.. Would love to work, will you find me a job fitting my qualification and a Kita that takes children from 1day old? Oh and if you would have bothered to read the thread, you would know that neither of our parents live in Germany.
LeonG
as a university graduate I am not going to work at McDonald's
So ok, in your case you can't work 'cause you will have a baby on your arm in about a month but if that wasn't the case, let me get this straight, you are too proud to work at McD's but not too proud to go on social assistance? For a lot of people, it's the other way around, you know.
diddlina
LeonG,
Am I getting you correct here? You call me wanting to have as an EU-citizen the same rights as Germans do, living on expense of society??? Equal treatment to all EU-citizens is guaranteed by law.

So, why don't you go to all the new German mothers, who get Kindergeld and Elterngeld, tell them the same: that they are lazy, non-benefiting members of society, and then come here to tell me how they reacted?
matajari
Germans don't want non-German workers,
Not true. I work in Germany.

and as a university graduate I am not going to work at McDonald's. I save those places for people coming from outside EU..
Most workers of MacDonalds in Germany come from european countries if a relatively large percentage come from outside Germany. Come to think of it: Just like you!!!

Would love to work, will you find me a job fitting my qualification and a Kita that takes children from 1day old? Oh and if you would have bothered to read the thread, you would know that neither of our parents live in Germany.
If you can afford the luxury not to work without unduly burdening society... Go ahead.... But the money you get for essentially nothing doesn't seem to be enough for you.

And by the way: Don't talk stupid about countries you know nothing about....
RainyDays
Diddlina, AFAIK as a EU citizen who is registered as living here, you should get Elterngeld if you take care of your child yourself (job of up to 30 h/week possible). See Elterngeld für Zugewanderte. EU-citizens, Swiss and Non-EU citizens with Niederlassungserlaubnis or Aufenthaltserlaubnis with work permit are eligible, unless they are staying in Germany as students, seasonal workers, asylum seekers or on grounds of a Duldung. Elterngeld can be applied for after birth at the Elterngeldstellen.

For Kindergeld, see the Familienkasse at the Arbeitsagentur.

On another note, I don't think Elterngeld is social assistance. Let's see the practical side: If childcare is outsourced to a daycare center, the cost is higher than the 300 € Elterngeld an unemployed parent gets.
diddlina
RainyDays; thanks for the information, I really appreciate you sharing it.

Matajari; I had not said anything personal to you before you came here rampaging and telling me to go to soup-kitchen! Who told you that we can not afford to take care of ourselves and our child? I am not citizen of this country, so no, I am not so informed about German ways to support families, that is precisely why I tried to ask from here, hoping for decent answers. I am sincerely happy that you have good experiences with the locals and getting a job in here and what all, it just happens to be my experience, that if I lay my papers in front of arbeitgeber and I have same qualification, and same experience of the field than German, they are going to prefer hiring their countrymen and not somebody with accent.

Couple more points: Wait until you have your own baby, and then come and tell that is not hard work, and that you can well handle both full-time job and sleepless nights with baby. -That it is so easy that your wife does not deserve any money from the society when staying home taking care of your baby.
Oh and by the way my husband comes from India, so I do know something about the country
LeonG
LeonG,
Am I getting you correct here? You call me wanting to have as an EU-citizen the same rights as Germans do, living on expense of society??? Equal treatment to all EU-citizens is guaranteed by law.
I don't think you actually read my other post since you seem to have completely missed my point. I said I understand you can't work at the moment since you will have a baby on your arm in about a month BUT if that wasn't the case, say there was no baby in the picture, would you still stick by being too good to work in McD's and claim your "rights" as an EU citizen to social assistance instead?

It just really irks me when people think they are too good to work a low job because they are "educated". I have a university education as well and I work whereever I can get a job.
diddlina
LeonG; It can irk you all you want; but if there was no baby in the picture I would apply for a job, where my education is appreciated. I think any normal person would do that, wouldn't he??
swimmer
Couple more points: Wait until you have your own baby, and then come and tell that is not hard work, and that you can well handle both full-time job and sleepless nights with baby.
Millions of women across the world do just that. For poorer women in other nations, that "work" is often doing basic stuff like getting food and water for their kids. You´d hardly be unique.

It's generally only a few privileged western states that provide large amounts of money so that women who think they are above working in hamburger joints can earn more from having children instead. Which is why poorer / more limited women (the ones thinking: "wow the state gives me 300 a month, so much better than having to lower myself to work in McDonalds") tend to have more children in these nations nowadays of course. Paid for of course by.......people working in McD's.

Why do you feel entitled to a job that fits your skills - particularly when you live in Europe's poorest major city, with a basketcase economy? Again, millions of people across the world don't (and immigrants often have a harder time than most). Having a baby gives you an exemption from the normal rules of life - and an automatic entitlement to whatever you want instead?

Instead of mocking that reply about caritas, you might be advised to take it on board! Why turn your nose up at a charity feeding you when you expect taxpayers to - it's no different. And god forbid family might help - not when cash in hand from complete strangers might be on offer instead! What are your other options - jobless new mother on low income in dirt poor town?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.