I guess I am allowed to reply, just need some time to think about it. The question is not very specific after all.
I think the overall view on the US is positive, criticism is usually directed on your government. Unless it is lead by Obama. Or Bill. Or Hillary, of course. There are a few more things we think to know about you, that seem strange:
- Americans love to carry firearms, everywhere. And are shocked if someone dares to use them.
- Americans seem not very educated. We occasionally get reports about the lack of pointing out Canada or Mexico on a map, something that is no problem for the average fifth-grade German. We know there is a difference between Canada and the USA, btw.
- Americans get the creeps when seeing naked flesh on TV, but have no problems showing extreme violence to there under-age kids.
- Americans are obsessed to find their European ancestors, even from five or six generations back. And are disappointed if we don't remember our Great-Great-Great-Grandfather.
- Americans think they have seen Germany, when they were in Bavaria and the Black Forest. I wonder if you are shocked if you go somewhere in Germany and there is no Oktoberfest and no people in weird leather pants.
- Americans are over-sensitive to past sins of their politicians, like not inhaling certains stuff in ones youth. We even had a foreign minister that was fighting our government in his youth. And who knows what he was smoking in his time.
The view may differ in different parts of the country, and in different social groups. Most students will have a more political view, which will result in a more negative impression, but most don't care. Just keep those TV series coming, and we are happy with you